Alternative for bed mounted gear

talondoc

First Name
TalonDoc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I took the rest of the 11/32" plywood I had from the bed project and made a panel for behind the cab. I painted it with flat black and silhouetted the tools with red spray paint. I used quick fists mounted to the panel. I have a small molle panel on order to install on the right side there. I may instead put more tools there. The L brackets screw into the 11/32" plywood under the bed mat. It is still a work-in-progress. There are no holes drilled or tapped into the truck at all. Let me know what you think. I think it may be a good alternative to spending $300+ dollars on molle panels from Quadratec.

Jeep Gladiator Alternative for bed mounted gear 66415197857__1583A1C0-189C-424C-9A14-7500FD4C7340

Jeep Gladiator Alternative for bed mounted gear IMG_5471

Jeep Gladiator Alternative for bed mounted gear IMG_5472
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice job. Practical, useful, and inexpensive.

Molle panels in a Gladiator is like the ultimate poseur mod. Seriously. Ridiculously expensive and not terribly effective compared to a simple piece of plywood secured to the bed. It might even be heavier than a similarly sized piece of 3/8 plywood.

It would be one thing if we were talking about a Ford van with acres of space where the ability to reconfigure is useful. The gladiator has so little space, you are better off using dedicated mounts.

95% of the people buying Molle panels either don't know any better or they think it looks cool.

Flame away.

p.s. the Molle on the back of the seats is fine. It is meant to hold pouches, which is what the PALS system was originally designed for. And its included. I wouldn't spend $150 per seat to add it.

Last edited:

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Looks great. DIY is always a great choice. I admire those with the skills, tools, patience and time to do it. I, unfortunately, don’t have any of that so I buy stuff that other DIYers put to the aftermarket.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Nice job. Practical, useful, and inexpensive.

Molle panels in a Gladiator is like the ultimate poseur mod. Seriously. Ridiculously expensive and not terribly effective compared to a simple piece of plywood secured to the bed. It might even be heavier than a similarly sized piece of 3/8 plywood.

It would be one thing if we were talking about a Ford van with acres of space where the ability to reconfigure is useful. The gladiator has so little space, you are better off using dedicated mounts.

95% of the people buying Molle panels either don't know any better or they think it looks cool.

Flame away.

p.s. the Molle on the back of the seats is fine. It is meant to hold pouches, which is what the PALS system was originally designed for. And its included. I wouldn't spend $150 per seat to add it.
I mean aesthetics matter. To each their own and while I love woodworking, I think every material has its place. In a vehicle, powdercoated steel looks more appropriate while plywood looks janky. It would be the opposite in my house where I wouldn't build a bookshelf out of random steel as much as I would some nice black walnut ply.

For me, the molle panel is relatively light, looks good, and gives me a place to mount whatever I need without adding more holes to the bed. Simple 1" straps or bungees can hold anything in place.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean aesthetics matter. To each their own and while I love woodworking, I think every material has its place. In a vehicle, powdercoated steel looks more appropriate while plywood looks janky. It would be the opposite in my house where I wouldn't build a bookshelf out of random steel as much as I would some nice black walnut ply.

For me, the molle panel is relatively light, looks good, and gives me a place to mount whatever I need without adding more holes to the bed. Simple 1" straps or bungees can hold anything in place.
Sure, if you care about the appearance of the inside of your bed, that people can't see, then that's fine. To each his own. But in the end we are talking about aesthetics, not function. And that's one of the joys of the free market system. If there is a desire, the market will provide it.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Sure, if you care about the appearance of the inside of your bed, that people can't see, then that's fine. To each his own. But in the end we are talking about aesthetics, not function. And that's one of the joys of the free market system. If there is a desire, the market will provide it.
Just because you don't recognize the function of something doesn't mean it's not functional for someone else.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just because you don't recognize the function of something doesn't mean it's not functional for someone else.
I'm trying to figure out how this function is any way superior to a bunch of hooks and/or eyelets screwed into the plywood. Again, I grant you the aesthetic aspect 100%.

Care to enlighten me?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'm trying to figure out how this function is any way superior to a bunch of hooks and/or eyelets screwed into the plywood. Again, I grant you the aesthetic aspect 100%.

Care to enlighten me?
No, because I don't feel you're going to be convinced otherwise. If ply works for you that's cool, it doesn't for me and for many others. Ply can accomplish all I use my panel for but just because you can doesn't make it better just because it's cheaper.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)