Badlands Apex 12 / steel oem bumper

skadax

First Name
Sumeet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I also just did this install using guidance from this forum. I used the American Trail Products (ATP) winch plate. I went with that over the Warn winch plate because it’s a single solid piece and much easier to install solo. I also ended up using the Rugged Ridge 3/4” spacers to mount the winch slightly higher as I was getting slight rub on the steel bumper by the lever, it also helps ensure the rope is only contacting the fairlead. Lastly, I relocated the control box to under the hood next to the battery to keep the install looking clean. Love the way this turned out.

IMG_0550.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg

IMG_0622.jpeg

IMG_0621.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg
Sponsored

Riptide

First Name
Matan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Medical
Currently running the knockoff steel bumper winch plate. My apex 12k has a little movement when i push on it.
Anyone get any movement with more reputable winch plates?

Could be a good time for me to upgrade 😂

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Currently running the knockoff steel bumper winch plate. My apex 12k has a little movement when i push on it.

I went with the bulldog winch plate. That thing is well built, thick, solid, no way anything bolted to it can move. I figured since it was all apart to move things to the new JT, why not get a better winch plate.

IMO, the only negative is that it makes the winch sit almost 1/4" to 3/8" lower than I'd like

Jeep Gladiator Badlands Apex 12 / steel oem bumper 20220805_154000_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Badlands Apex 12 / steel oem bumper 20220805_153913

Riptide

First Name
Matan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Medical
I went with the bulldog winch plate. That thing is well built, thick, solid, no way anything bolted to it can move. I figured since it was all apart to move things to the new JT, why not get a better winch plate.

IMO, the only negative is that it makes the winch sit almost 1/4" to 3/8" lower than I'd like

Yeah that Bulldog plate looks like a good choice. Can't cheap out on a winch plate, it becomes the weakest link and can end up damaging the winch under heavy load. Thanks for the photos, definitely going to upgrade to one of these.

Riptide

First Name
Matan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Medical
Has anyone actually experienced issues with synthetic rope rubbing against the bottom lip of the bumper through the fairlead? It makes sense that it could be an abrasion point but how serious is it in reality?

Sponsored

skadax

First Name
Sumeet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

No movement at all with the ATP winch plate and Rugged Ridge spacers. So far only did 1 test pull on a slight incline, but that setup seems rock solid.

skadax

First Name
Sumeet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did a little clean up on my install today. Made a small cover for the exposed winch rope to help protect from UV degradation of the line.

Used this ABS plastic sheet which has a nice textured side to it from Amazon and just cut and shaped by hand:
Duco ABS Plastic Sheet 1/8 Inch Thick 12" x 12" - Two-Sided Rigid ABS Sheet (Textured Plastic Front & Smooth Back) - DIY Home Decor and Robotics Competitions Use - Black Plastic Sheet (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/ifkAm6R

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Did a little clean up on my install today. Made a small cover for the exposed winch rope to help protect from UV degradation of the line.

Used this ABS plastic sheet which has a nice textured side to it from Amazon and just cut and shaped by hand:
Duco ABS Plastic Sheet 1/8 Inch Thick 12" x 12" - Two-Sided Rigid ABS Sheet (Textured Plastic Front & Smooth Back) - DIY Home Decor and Robotics Competitions Use - Black Plastic Sheet (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/ifkAm6R

Jeep Gladiator Badlands Apex 12 / steel oem bumper IMG_0921

Jeep Gladiator Badlands Apex 12 / steel oem bumper IMG_0921
Very nice… I have a piece of diamond plate that’s been sitting in my garage forever that I need to do this with.

RedChili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Great info in this thread, but I have a few, likely dumb, questions. For those of you that relocated the wiring out of the control box to the side, what type of grommet did you use (any particular brand of type of material)? Also, when I opened up the control box to drill the hole, I noticed a small green wire running from what I am assuming is the wireless remote control box and I'm guessing that is the antenna and not some type of ground wire? Its not connected to anything else and there is no exposed wiring. Finally, what, if anything did you do to the hole in the back of the control box that the wiring was relocated from? Close it off with a closed grommet or anything similar?

I'm using a Grimm Off road winch plate and its a mopar steel bumper. Winch plate mounted up no problemo, but really needed to relocate the wiring to the side. Hope this will be the biggest issue (knock on wood).

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Great info in this thread, but I have a few, likely dumb, questions. For those of you that relocated the wiring out of the control box to the side, what type of grommet did you use (any particular brand of type of material)? Also, when I opened up the control box to drill the hole, I noticed a small green wire running from what I am assuming is the wireless remote control box and I'm guessing that is the antenna and not some type of ground wire? Its not connected to anything else and there is no exposed wiring. Finally, what, if anything did you do to the hole in the back of the control box that the wiring was relocated from? Close it off with a closed grommet or anything similar?

I'm using a Grimm Off road winch plate and its a mopar steel bumper. Winch plate mounted up no problemo, but really needed to relocate the wiring to the side. Hope this will be the biggest issue (knock on wood).
You can go to Harbor Freight and pickup one of those multi pack boxes with different sizes.

I left my hole open to aid in the removal of the inevitable moisture that will get in the box.

Don't mess with any other wiring that doesn't exit the standard hole in the rear of the unit. I'll edit with my set up. I used wire loom wrapped in electrical tape and tried to push the end back into the grommet. I'll edit with photos from my phone.

A48BF7B8-A61C-46C3-B33E-E02CC282D3EC.jpeg

C3E4E50F-9186-4E9E-8930-F670BD32E94F.jpeg

480760D2-9BC5-45E9-A702-99816CD26AF6.jpeg

E0735510-E1B0-41D7-B508-BDD4C922CFDA.jpeg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

I have an assortment of closed grommets I got off Amazon as I do auto electric and custom restorations and such and always need such things. So having ways to plug holes is not a problem here.
There is a ground wire from the electronics on the top that goes to the winch's ground stud on the back - seen in this picture (this is the rear of my winch after the cable relocate)
You can also see the grommet with no hole punched or cut out that I used to plug the original hole -

Jeep Gladiator Badlands Apex 12 / steel oem bumper 1688962976347

Note the ground wire from the control box on top running to the winch ground stud and the red arrow pointing to the winch ground cable that runs up to the battery -

Jeep Gladiator Badlands Apex 12 / steel oem bumper 1688963128172

Jeep Gladiator Badlands Apex 12 / steel oem bumper 1688963503603

Jeep Gladiator Badlands Apex 12 / steel oem bumper 1688963443711

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I have an assortment of closed grommets I got off Amazon as I do auto electric and custom restorations and such and always need such things. So having ways to plug holes is not a problem here.
There is a ground wire from the electronics on the top that goes to the winch's ground stud on the back - seen in this picture (this is the rear of my winch after the cable relocate)
You can also see the grommet with no hole punched or cut out that I used to plug the original hole -

1688962976347.png

Note the ground wire from the control box on top running to the winch ground stud and the red arrow pointing to the winch ground cable that runs up to the battery -

1688963128172.png

1688963503603.png

1688963443711.png
Oh yeah...forgot about that little sucker. I ran mine behind the loom coming out the side. You can see it zooming in on my 3rd photo above.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah...forgot about that little sucker. I ran mine behind the loom coming out the side. You can see it zooming in on my 3rd photo above.
You snuck it out with the power cable. I almost missed seeing how you did that.
That works, too.
Looking from the front you'd never see it. Looking from the side you almost can't see it.

OCD - I had to have that power cable CLEAN, perfect, round, not even a single molecule of O2 able to get through LOL

RedChili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Thank you Doug and Shadow for the extra pictures and information. It is very helpful! HF didn't have any grommets in stock so ordered some stuff from amazon which should be here in a day or so. Hope to get it all squared away this weekend!

RedChili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Welp, Ive got the winch on, wired up (including the cutoff switch) and bumper on. Only issue remaining is the PITA that is the passenger side, inside-lower bumper bolt. The winch plate frame pushes my socket ever so slightly off center and I can't seem to get my socket in there to tighten it up. All of the other bumper bolts were fine, but I can't seem to get to that inside lower bolt. I can use a box wrench, but not sure how, or if I'll get a socket to it. Ran out of daylight and ran out of patience, so I'll give it another go tomorrow after work. Everything fits together just fine, no need to cut or trim any metal. Free spool lever even fits without rubbing.
Sponsored