Sponsored

Is there a way to reduce scammers in marketplace on here??

WILL1E

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've only posted on this forums marketplace a couple times i tend to get alot of people with zero history that happen to have the item i'm looking for, for sale. I know it's scammers, but is there a way to filter them out more during the signup stage? Like prevent them from DM'ing until they have X amount of post or time on the forum or something?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Only defense to this is to just use the report button and hope the admin and mods nuke them.

I moderate on another board that uses the same forum software as here and it really sucks trying to keep the spammers off. There is no way at the member level at least to filter for low post count members and only the member ignore function available but that is after the fact.

Most are Middle Africa, Pakistan or India scammers who will join using VPN's to get around country IP blocking and join with multiple accounts and it is a game of "Wack a Mole" trying to keep them at bay.

Last edited:

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Don’t blow them away….who would I mess with when I’m bored??

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The forum I admin allows settings to block PMs until they have reached a certain level of posts, and I can block new members from posting things for sale until they've been around a while. It allows members to get to know them and get a history with them. Otherwise we have people pop in, join, list stuff for sale, then take off.
Make 'em use craigslist if all they want is free advertising. The forum is for community, not another CL, is the way we figured it.

Yeah, VPN is a way around country blocking but it makes some of the lazy ones less likely to show up, and we can block by emails- however with hotmail, gmail and all that, they switch addresses every 5 minutes. But if their email and/or IP is on a list of known bad actors, they can't join easily. Takes the fun out of it for the ones that are lazy and just want to scam or for a quick buck or a free ad.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase