First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Healthcare
After years of looking to forums for inspiration when building jeeps, I decided I should return the favor by documenting my build. I’ll give all the reviews and measurements and pics I was always looking for when choosing mods. If you have any questions, or advice for me I’d love to hear it!

About a month ago a few buddies of mine picked up Gladiators. I was still content in my wrangler, but was pretty impressed with the ride and look of the gladiator. Needless to say, within a few weeks I was ready to trade in for a gladiator of my own.

It took a week and a half of shopping before I found “the one”. It was a left over 2020 rubicon and the price was right. It was 80 miles from home, but worth the drive. I ordered my teraflex leveling kit from the lobby while I waited for them to finish the paperwork.

With my last Jeep, I only bought parts under the following circumstances:
1. The part was used, but in good shape, and a hell of a deal.
2. If the item was new, it had to be on sale.
3. I would only pay full retail for something if I could purchase additional parts/labor at the same time to get a considerable discount.

It worked well for the jk, and considering I just purchased a JTR for 20% below MSRP, I figured it was a good start on this “Budget Build”.

Out with the old...
Jeep Gladiator JTR “budget build” D2ED9711-888D-4F46-874F-75A001DFBE99

In with the new...
Jeep Gladiator JTR “budget build” 263B8F67-8B1F-4EA2-B25B-A3AB66F53ABB
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Morrison441

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
I installed the leveling kit the following day. It’s not huge, but parked next to a stock JTR, it’s a noticeable difference.

I was lucky enough to find a used Clayton 3.5” overland plus lift kit, with about 2000 miles on it for a grand. It’s
in the garage now, but I will post pics and updates as I finish sourcing parts for the build.

This week, I took advantage of a harbor freight sale, and purchased a badland apex winch. It fits nicely in the mopar steel bumper!

Jeep Gladiator JTR “budget build” 58D01AE5-515B-4F09-A03A-F35E74883B5A
Jeep Gladiator JTR “budget build” 65799764-4136-40B4-B727-5E5B5306CE19
Jeep Gladiator JTR “budget build” 916AB4C3-3BDB-42FA-99C4-5191DC163DD9
Jeep Gladiator JTR “budget build” 4A82ECE6-61DD-4B15-8AF1-94BA000DBB22

OP
OP

Morrison441

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Looks good!

whose winch plate did you use?
It’s from rock hard 4x4.

Its very stout. All the holes and brackets lined up well and went together very smoothly.

The supplied bolts were about a 1/2” too short when used with the badlands fairlead.

OP
OP

Morrison441

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
The harbor freight winch came with a stout manual power interrupter, but I really wanted to utilize my aux switches. I found a warn power interrupter (solenoid)) that I installed over the weekend. We made a bracket from left over steel and raptor lined it. It’s working great so far!
Jeep Gladiator JTR “budget build” 4C5129EF-4E69-4283-93EB-8F30062CA1FA

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I've built 37 Jeeps over the years. What I found out early on is that budge builds tend to be money pits and some of them dangerous ones. I don't have an unlimited budget budget as most of you but if I can't afford it, I don't buy it. Some used parts are OK but I would shy away from suspension components or lift kit or anything that can pose a safety issue. Seen too many Jeeps over the years with failed parts or get into accidents due to home grown budget lifts and suspension mods.
Sponsored