Sponsored

Mopar Steel Bumper on Sport S

sl009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum. I recently upgraded from an old XJ Cherokee to a Gladiator Sport S (not max tow). I've been considering getting rid of the front bumper/splash guard and replacing it with the Mopar steel bumper and steel skid plate. Obviously it is heavier, but would the stock sport s suspension be able to handle that weight without it sagging down too much? I don't plan on messing with the suspension, however, I will probably be putting on some 285/70/17 tires at some point. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I did the swap a few weeks ago on my sport S max tow, and honestly didn't think it weighed that much more. Maybe 20/30 lbs for the bumper, and another 10 or so for the skid (the emphasis that I didn't really notice too much while installing). It's still stamped steel, not super thick plate steel that a lot of aftermarket companies use. I think stock suspension will handle it fine, worst case you could get a spacer puck to raise it back up a 1/2" if it's a big deal.

TooChill4

First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator JT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum. I recently upgraded from an old XJ Cherokee to a Gladiator Sport S (not max tow). I've been considering getting rid of the front bumper/splash guard and replacing it with the Mopar steel bumper and steel skid plate. Obviously it is heavier, but would the stock sport s suspension be able to handle that weight without it sagging down too much? I don't plan on messing with the suspension, however, I will probably be putting on some 285/70/17 tires at some point. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hey, hope you're enjoying that Gladiator!
I like the build you're going for. On my Sport S, I put some Rubi 285/70/17 and the bumper is a Barricade Adventure HD that I picked up as an Open Box for just under $150 - https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-jeep-gladiator-adventure-hd-front-bumper-jg1184.html
It didn't seem too heavy. Then a couple shackles and winch from Ebay
-op

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Steel Bumper on Sport S 20200705_134837
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Steel Bumper on Sport S 20200705_134807

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Steel Bumper on Sport S 20200422_133906

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Steel Bumper on Sport S IMG_5813

20200405_153226.jpg

OP
OP

sl009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
That is a heck of a lot of bumper for $150! The Mopar one is so expensive. I am loving my Gladiator so far. Only thing I have on it is the Mopar tri fold tonneau cover and performance rock rails.

OP
OP

sl009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I did the swap a few weeks ago on my sport S max tow, and honestly didn't think it weighed that much more. Maybe 20/30 lbs for the bumper, and another 10 or so for the skid (the emphasis that I didn't really notice too much while installing). It's still stamped steel, not super thick plate steel that a lot of aftermarket companies use. I think stock suspension will handle it fine, worst case you could get a spacer puck to raise it back up a 1/2" if it's a big deal.
Would I have any warranty issues by installing a spacer puck?

Sponsored

TooChill4

First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator JT
Vehicle Showcase
That is a heck of a lot of bumper for $150! The Mopar one is so expensive. I am loving my Gladiator so far. Only thing I have on it is the Mopar tri fold tonneau cover and performance rock rails.
It was a gamble going for the open box, but I've had great luck with that company!
So far by far my favorite Mopar Aftermarket item is the flooring. It just completes and compliments the interior nicely.
- op

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Would I have any warranty issues by installing a spacer puck?
Not if you took it out before you went to the dealership *if* you had any issues...
But honestly, all you'd be doing is putting your shock back to where it would have been without the extra weight, so it wouldn't really be out of spec or anything, not sure why you'd have any issues. No different than always carrying XX lbs of gear in the vehicle and it rides a bit lower for a long period of time.

OP
OP

sl009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Not if you took it out before you went to the dealership *if* you had any issues...
But honestly, all you'd be doing is putting your shock back to where it would have been without the extra weight, so it wouldn't really be out of spec or anything, not sure why you'd have any issues. No different than always carrying XX lbs of gear in the vehicle and it rides a bit lower for a long period of time.
Understood. I am just nervous about messing with certain things while the vehicle is still under warranty and I never seem to hear anything good about leveling kits. What you said makes sense thought.
Sponsored