Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I restore some rare automotive parts, in the case of what I'm looking for, it's for Prestolite windshield wiper motors from the 60s but should be generic.
I need cloth wire insulation (the slide-on cloth sleeve to go over 22 gauge and 18 gauge solid copper wire) and a 4 conductor pigtail as shown.
The connector is for the Prestolite wiper motors as used on SC/Rambler and one year American.
These guys want these restored to perfection as these are rare cars and for some reason used a wiring harness totally different than any other AMC - but they sure resemble other connectors of that era, even into the 1970s or later.
Ideally they'd have blue, yellow, red and black wires in the correct positions - but I suppose if I had to, I could paint the wires (but what a PAIN)

I need cloth wire insulation - black and green to go over 18 gauge solid copper wire; yellow and red to go over 22 gauge solid copper wire.

Pictures below show the field windings with the cloth removed (only one of the cloth sleeves of this one was in good shape and salvageable) and there's a pic showing the cloth in place, wires all in place after restoration.

Any ideas on where to get the cloth wire insulation?
Or the 4 bullet pigtail/connector?
I've spendt HOURS if not days looking, searching!

Jeep Gladiator Need electric wiring parts (automotive) IMG_20201123_160432

Jeep Gladiator Need electric wiring parts (automotive) IMG_20201123_160408

Jeep Gladiator Need electric wiring parts (automotive) IMG_20201123_160311

Cloth wire sleeves or insulation upper right - slide over the leads on the field windings -

Jeep Gladiator Need electric wiring parts (automotive) IMG_20201123_095338

Jeep Gladiator Need electric wiring parts (automotive) wiper-wires

Jeep Gladiator Need electric wiring parts (automotive) wiper-35
Sponsored

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I needed some cloth wire for a steampunk ghostbuster proton pack I made for a convention, and found it to be expensive and hard to find.
So what I did was get some paracord and pull the guts out of the center and used the cloth sheath over a regular wire. Melting the ends with a soldering iron stopped it from fraying. Gluing it at the end prevented slipping. You can see them as a ribbon cable and on the upper right between the "EGON" battery and the box with the knobs.

Jeep Gladiator Need electric wiring parts (automotive) pack1

I don't know if this will work for you, but it came out looking pretty decent. You just have to find the right colors.

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The plug you seek looks like two "hopkins" power connectors glued together. Could you get two, sand the sides flat and glue them somehow? It would even make the seam correctly.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The plug you seek looks like two "hopkins" power connectors glued together. Could you get two, sand the sides flat and glue them somehow? It would even make the seam correctly.
Not enough material - by the time you take a side flat you are into the connectors, or the spacing is totally wrong.
This will need to be one piece.
I have found every configuration except this one and yet it was common for years on other things (voltage regulators, emissions controls connections, etc.)

I needed some cloth wire for a steampunk ghostbuster proton pack I made for a convention, and found it to be expensive and hard to find.
So what I did was get some paracord and pull the guts out of the center and used the cloth sheath over a regular wire. Melting the ends with a soldering iron stopped it from fraying. Gluing it at the end prevented slipping. You can see them as a ribbon cable and on the upper right between the "EGON" battery and the box with the knobs.

I don't know if this will work for you, but it came out looking pretty decent. You just have to find the right colors.
I'd say that would be too large unless you can get really tiny cord. The cord I used to hold my JT roof up to the garage rafters, for example, is way too large.
The 18 gauge version is only large enough to get a round toothpick into, the 22 gauge is smaller.
However, it's worth looking online to see if there's a cord that's a lot smaller than I have that I used for holding the roof up.

22 gauge field windings that go into a small wiper motor shell - fine wire....
Jeep Gladiator Need electric wiring parts (automotive) IMG_20200302_160659

For perspective those are rivet heads for 1/8" rivets, the black cloth covered wire is similar in size to what's used in some guitar amps (18 gauge) the red and yellow, smaller at 22 gauge

Jeep Gladiator Need electric wiring parts (automotive) wiper-wires-close

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This would probably be too pricey.... but here is one. Maybe you can trace down the company that makes the harness and get just the connector. It is for a 1965 mustang.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/17b587b.html

Here's a cheaper alternative:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.c...iper-Motor-Used-1967-1968-Mercury-Cougar.html
The "cheaper" is used......... the problem is, I'd have to have one to compare to make sure the spacing, etc. is exact.

I bought some brand new (NOS) prestolite harness parts on eBay - thinking, hmmm, they are prestolite, only to find the spacing was wrong.

The top link I may contact them and see if they'd be willing to have me send a sample to them to see if they can duplicate or obtain a match.
Sponsored