First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
So the good news is I hooked up my new Sirius antenna. And it worked fine. Also unexpectedly my truck's navigation system also worked fine. Either the antenna I bought is GPS satellite capable or the navigation system has a different antenna. In any case I bought it for Sirius radio so it's doing its job. I'm just hoping when I add the second sheet of metal to my roof rack that it doesn't block off another unknown antenna. Because I was not expecting my navigation system to work. I'm not sure what the other black box above to Sound Bar is. I never used my navigation system until today but if all it takes to keep it working is moving another antenna now would be the time to do it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Still don't know for sure whether it is two separate antennas or not. My nav works well but Sirius drops every few minutes and is often “searching for signal”. I think GPS is a more robust signal and a larger satellite network. If the antennas are separate and both on the rollbar that may explain your results.

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
I know the Sirius antenna in a modern Jeep is combined or combinable with the antenna for GPS. It says so in the ads. I just don't see that stated in the ads for aftermarket antennas so I assumed they wouldn't have the GPS function. But mine seems to be functioning. I'm not an antenna guy so I don't know how hard it would be for a Sirius antenna to pick up GPS signals. But for what it's worth mine seems to be doing fine. I know the wavelength for Siris XM is about 12.5 cm and the wavelength for GPS is about 19 cm so I'd guess they are in the ballpark for a combined antenna to be not so hard to make. Or function.

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
@Vanishing Point Did you jack the new antenna and cable into the head unit or use an extension cable jacked into the antenna end of the OEM cable?
How did you route your cable out and to the new antenna?

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
@Vanishing Point Did you jack the new antenna and cable into the head unit or use an extension cable jacked into the antenna end of the OEM cable?
I disconnected the old satellite antenna at the yellow plug like in the other guys thread. I ran it behind the fascia of the sound bar, wrapped the extra length of cord around two pillars in the side fascia of the sound bar and along the covering on top of the door. At the door I ran it onto the overhead storage I have and then out through a waterproof hole I had drilled on the driver's side freedom panel. Then back through aluminum tubing I had installed through the cross bars of my roof rack back to the antenna.

Inside egress of the antenna:

Jeep Gladiator Sirius/Satellite Antenna 20230701_173445
Jeep Gladiator Sirius/Satellite Antenna 20230701_173452

Outside waterproof marine gland:

Jeep Gladiator Sirius/Satellite Antenna 20230701_173506

Aluminum tube carrier for antenna wire.

Jeep Gladiator Sirius/Satellite Antenna 20230701_173522

Sponsored

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
Nothing has leaked so far. It was a longer process making backing plates for the glands so that I didn't have to rely on screws in fiberglass to hold them on. They are backed with rubber washers and sealed around the bolt holes with silicone as well.

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
I guess I could have connected the antenna directly to the head unit but this was easier and easier to replace if I have a problem. I'm a pretty bug dude and I hate squeezing into the footweels to work behind the dash. Working at the roof/ceiling was just nicer.

And since I was going to drill holes for my future radio antenns, you might as well drill three if you're gonna drill two. 😂

OP
OP

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Good job. I don't think I can bring myself to drill a hole in the top... Freedom panel is a good choice as it is a least replaceable. I still have use of my panels so not a cable pass thru option for me.
Did you cut and splice the cable to get it thru the marine fitting?

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
Good job. I don't think I can bring myself to drill a hole in the top... Freedom panel is a good choice as it is a least replaceable. I still have use of my panels so not a cable pass thru option for me.
Did you cut and splice the cable to get it thru the marine fitting?
No, it's a compression fitting. The connector on the Sirius antenna cable was a little on the large side but I jimmied it through the rubber seal and since it required a 3mm hole in the seal was slightly large for a 2.5 mm wire I had put shrink wrap on the wire to get it to 3mm to make a tight fight with the hole in the rubber. But once it tightens down it squishes the rubber grommet for a tight seal.
Sponsored