tailgate issues - can't unlock

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Did you check the owners manual? Might be in there.
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Anyone know how to disarm the power lock for the tailgate? I would like the tailgate to only lock and unlock with my key.

My issue is with the top and windows down, the only reason to lock the doors is to lock the tailgate. If I have a locking tonneau cover, it's worthless if someone reaches in and unlocks my doors, as it also unlocks my tailgate, and now it doesn't matter if the tonneau was locked. Any thoughts or magic settings I am unaware of ... wires to cut, buttons to push?
Not that I am aware of. Locking with the fob also activates the alarm. If I’m not mistaken, the unlock button on the doors does not work when the alarm is armed... let me see if I can confirm that....

Even if it did, it’s not going to disarm the alarm, so the alarm will go off if someone uses it and then tries to open a door or the tailgate.

Additionally, the button is only on the front doors. So one other idea is to not leave your front windows down when you walk away from it? That’s if you will be so far from it you might not hear the alarm?

Last edited:

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
Did you check the owners manual? Might be in there.
Who are you, my wife? Just kidding ... I checked the 595 page manual but didn’t see anything.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not that I am aware of. Locking with the fob also activates the alarm. If I’m not mistaken, the unlock button on the doors does not work when the alarm is armed... let me see if I can confirm that....

Even if it did, it’s not going to disarm the alarm, so the alarm will go off if someone uses it and then tries to open a door or the tailgate.

Additionally, the button is only on the front doors. So one other idea is to not leave your front windows down when you walk away from it? That’s if you will be so far from it you might not hear the alarm?
Ok. so I did just confirm that once you activate the alarm by pushing the lock button on the fob, the unlock button on the door is disabled.
I got in the truck, hit lock and waited till the radio shutoff and the dash shutoff. Pushing the unlock button did not unlock, it did make the radio and dash turn on for a few seconds, but they shutoff pretty quickly.

So I think you are fine @DenverGladiator... lock the vehicle with the top off and windows down, using the keyfob. That activates the alarm, which will deactivate the unlock button on the door. So your tailgate will remain locked until it is unlocked/disarmed by either the hard key or the keyfob.

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Don’t believe my Sport S has an alarm ... if it does, I can’t believe I haven’t accidentally set it off yet. I could always leave the window up, but I am away from my car for significant amounts of time.

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t believe my Sport S has an alarm ... if it does, I can’t believe I haven’t accidentally set it off yet. I could always leave the window up, but I am away from my car for significant amounts of time.
try it out next time you're in the car with it off. lock it with the fob and see if the unlock on the door works.
If it does, try it one more time and wait for the radio and dash to go off.

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
try it out next time you're in the car with it off. lock it with the fob and see if the unlock on the door works.
If it does, try it one more time and wait for the radio and dash to go off.
Amazing, I do have an alarm. I thought I had tried that before, but now I realized I locked it from inside without the key fob. Thank you.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Short answer @DenverGladiator is that I am just a guy who does not yet have a Gladiator so I figured there might be a remote chance that Jeep thought of this situation so they felt it a good idea to mention it in their owners manual. Or heck make it easy on yourself and just ask your dealership what the simple solution is. My 2 cents. It all good.

Who are you, my wife? Just kidding ... I checked the 595 page manual but didn’t see anything.

Batts65

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
auto claims
Took it into the dealer, turns out when I had the bed liner installed, they knocked that little screw off that Moriarity was talking about off the latch, they found the screw somehow in the tailgate, got it fixed in about two minutes. Thank you all for your help! I am new to this forum, wish I knew about it when I had my wrangler. you guys rock!
My Rubicon is 10 days old, bringing back to the dealer tomorrow for what appears to be the same issue. I have a tonneau cover so not sure how they are going to get in there.
Sponsored