Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If they are aluminum wheels in most cases they won't have a lip thin enough like steel wheels to put the drive-on weights.
Aluminum wheels are forged (even cold forged) and machined and for the rim lip where the outer bead of the tire sits to have strength it won't be thin like a steel wheel.
Wheels like on my SX4 do have a more standard inner bead lip for weights. BUT - those have a steel core so the inner lip is more like a steel wheel and the outer is like a "mag wheel". I don't know about the Sport wheels on the Jeeps.
The Overland wheel is also steel and aluminum. A magnet will stick to the core of the wheel, but not to the face, like my Eagle wheels.
Assuming for safety - kids who eat lead and the environment, the weights used are not lead but are steel.
Go take a magnet to the weights on your Jeep wheels.......
Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Found this interesting picture of a steel spare wheel from an Overland Gladiator. As usual the spare is stowed outside up. So what you are looking at is the inside of the wheel. And what’s interesting here is the fact that a balance weight is placed on the inside section of the wheel. I circled it.
B17CE22B-F6E1-48F8-B37C-3D4CFF690D07.jpeg

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I attach a couple of pictures of my base Sport truck truck taken the day that I took delivery of my truck. As you will see I have the standard black steel wheels. I also bought a 5th black steel wheel for my spare. As you will see I’ve got the normal looking wheel weights attached to my wheels.
A8E67B5A-47FB-4E9C-9BF4-8CD6E3C59C60.jpeg
B15523A8-B77E-4A39-B833-D895DA711298.jpeg

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
And here’s a picture of my matching steel spare mounted outside up.
2073D1DF-6FE6-4BFA-A5DB-8052AFF50998.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Steel wheel, clip on weight. "Mag style" wheel or aluminum wheel - stick on weight. But for a wheel ON the truck...... meh, not thrilled about that as those hammer on weights (and they do use a small tool with a hammer head to put them on) eventually mess with the wheel's finish.
My SX4 sport wheels were done with stick-on weights even though the inner surface does have the normal lip like the wheels shown here.

Sometimes there are issues with stick-on weights not clearing large calipers........ That becomes fun to balance then.

Frankly in Jake's case I'm surprised on those styled wheels they used the clip-on weights. If it was mine I'd not like that - steel or not, those are not plain ordinary wheels.

Sponsored

Moparbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 gladiator 18 compass 16 Challenger shaker
Most if not all the aluminum wheels use stick on weights and they have black weights also the factory may not use those yet I know we do at my dealership when a customer has black wheels

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase