Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
My Gladiator journey started last November. At the time I was driving a 2013 Tundra Crewmax. It had served me well, but I'd recently changed jobs from one that necessitated a full size truck to more of a desk jockey.
I didn't NEED a new vehicle. The tundra had been super reliable and would likely have gone another 150k miles. But I was tired of getting 10mpg and my wife's 2018 JLU convinced me that I could step down to an SUV or smaller vehicle. I seriously considered just getting another JLU. But something about having the exact same vehicle didn't sit right with me. My short list (and yes, I appreciate it was an eclectic list) included a 2016 LR4, 2016 Toyota Landcruiser, 2017 Discovery TD6 or hold out for the new Ford Bronco.
I shopped long enough that eventually the LR4 was too long in the tooth to justify. The discovery (especially the diesel) was tempting because it would be a great travel vehicle and I liked that there weren't many around with overland style builds. But eventually, I couldn't get over the long term maintenance/ reliability concerns of Land Rover ownership. At the time I was shopping, all of these could be had in the upper 30s-low 40s. Except the Land Cruiser. It was consistently in the high 40s even with 100k miles on it. I didn't cross shop any other mid size pickups. I momentarily considered the 4Runner and Tacoma, but couldn't get past the crazy prices they were getting and the dated interior and tech. (it goes without saying that the delays in bronco production took it off the list)
I didn't like the gladiator. My wife HATED the gladiator. But it was SO damn practical.
So I started following social media accounts with gladiator builds and seeing what they looked like with some modifications. Turns out 37ā€ tires can make a lot of things look good.

Anyway, November of last year, after months of looking I found a listing for a used 2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition. Had 10k miles on it and it was at the local Audi dealership. I told my wife I was going to ā€˜look at itā€™ on my lunch break. When I rolled up it hadnā€™t even been cleaned or detailed yet. I got lucky and was on the front end of the crazy used vehicle prices (but before delays in new cars had driven their costs up). They offered me $20k for my tundra. (Iā€™d paid 28k for it 4 years earlier so I was stoked with that cost of ownership). Iā€™d recently sold my FJ40, so I threw it all in on the Gladiator.

I told my wife that since it was Rubicon and a Launch Edition, AND already on 315 BFG's I wouldnā€™t need to modify it all. It was good to go (rookie mistakeā€¦)
Here's a pic of the day I brought her home:
Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build Day 1
Sponsored

OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
It didn't take long til I realized I was WAY off. I'd definitely be making some changes to the truck. Luckily I'm a Facebook Marketplace and Gladiator Classifieds junky and I would be putting that skillset to good use.
Initially I was excited to have the mopar roll top tonneau and the the underseat toolbox that came with the LE. Both are good products. But I'd seen them sell for WAY more than they were of value to me. So, I sold those two items off to offset the initial purchases. And I got lucky right before Christmas and Northridge was running a deal on the Sunrider. $250 gift card from Northridge and $100 rebate from Bestop. Basically 50% off!

Found a used Softopper on the Gladiator classifieds for the same amount I sold my roll top. "See, honey- free mods!" I told her šŸ¤£

IMG-0245.jpg

IMG-0539.jpg

OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
The next "deal too good to pass up" was a Decked storage box I found 2 hours away. I'd had one in the Tundra and understood it's benefits and limitations. But for $800 I just couldn't let it go by.
And for a while there, all was good. I still had the itch of 37's, but the tires were new and I knew I'd wait until I NEEDED new ones before I went any further.
UNTIL.
A used Mopar 2" lift was posted in North Carolina. I have a buddy that lives there and he offered to go pick it up for me. Again, 50% off what a new lift would cost me- who could say no to that!?
However, in order for that to fly, I had to finally install the lift and tires I'd been promising for my wife's JLU. Installed the Daystar 2" spacer lift and Wrangler Duratracs. I've heard mixed opinions about the Duratracs but they look pretty mean, and so far I'm a fan.
Before and after image below:
Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build CE63DCA4-914D-42B6-9C95-1DD6B8ED5EFA.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Along the way I also used the jeep as intended.
Hit some local trails, and have to add the obligatory snow shot because that never happens here.
Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build Off road
Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-0570

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-0662

OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Once again the Facebook Marketplace deal too good to pass up appeared. I found a Roam Vagabond RTT for sale locally. It had a damaged mounting track, but was otherwise in great shape. The seller also had a Yakima Outpost HD for sale. But he wanted to much for it, and I intended to build my own. However, when I went to pick up the tent the guy said he didn't have any use for it so he gave it to me for free. The tent deal just went from good to GREAT.
Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build InkedYakima 2_LI

Sponsored

OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
NOW I was set. Still had that Mopar lift sitting in North Carolina waiting on me- but I was ready for some adventure. Did some camping in the Talladega National Forest and did (most of) the Georgia Traverse.
Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build CD3EA06A-1B2D-45B5-8721-4ED322ADDC7F.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-0842

OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
The Georgia Traverse was great. I can't recommend it enough. Not super challenging, but beautiful and the water crossings are just a ton of fun. Plus it's nice that someone did all the planning/ mapping for you. My only drama was a flat tire. I blame myself for not having tire pressure low enough and I blame BFG because DAMN these all terrains pick up rocks. A rock got caught in the tread and the next rock I hit just pushed it up through. Getting the spare out from under the truck on a muddy forest road has me seriously considering my rear swing away options....

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-1057

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-1075

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-0161

OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I'd been keeping an eye out for some tube doors. Apparently Warn had some serious quality control issues early on and they were sending their doors out with missing hardware. I found a set of rear doors for sale that was missing a hinge. Luckily I'm kinda handy and I was able to replicate the missing hinge.
Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-1025

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-1015

OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Back to the Mopar Lift. One concern I had was that it was going to end up too high for my son to climb in and out. He was already having a little trouble reaching and opening the door. I told myself I'd wait until I figured out step bar/ slider options. The ONLY set I was really interested in was the ACE sliders. They let the rock rails stay in place and they have enough of a step to be functional. I scoured the internet for months. After shipping they were going to be over $1k- just couldn't do it.
Then one day, a set was posted in the classifieds. Once again, in North Carolina. When I say I have a friend up there I mean I have a GOOD friend up there. The guy drives a Tesla for heaven's sake! But he took the measurements and low and behold gladiator sliders will JUST fit inside. He went and picked them up for me and delivered them on his next trip down to Alabama. The only thing that wouldn't fit was the mopar crate- so I'll have to get that the next time.
Pic after 2" lift and Ace engineering rock sliders.
Lift installation was pretty straightforward. Pleased with the ride. My main takeaway was that the back end doesn't seem to hop around as much as it used to.
Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build Mopar Lift

OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Next project was a bed rack that would fit over the softopper. The yakima rack was great and super heavy duty- but with the decked box, I didn't have enough height left for gear and coolers. It rained during my GA Traverse trip and having to pack up gear in the cab wasn't ideal. The tacoma guys have been building racks over softoppers for years, so I studied some of their details and went to work. I didn't love the softopper hardware and clamps, so I moved as much as I could over to the new rack system. Just used nutserts for the snaps and tabs for the other connections. Y'all remember when I said I wasn't going to mod this thing? šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£
Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-1584

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-1588

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build IMG-1590

OP
OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Spent the weekend in the Tallaega National Forest. Got the tent mounted and it was a good little shakedown test of the new rack system. Got lucky with our campsite and had a pretty awesome sunset view.

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build A7FBF2DE-6160-483B-80FF-270317E8E51B.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Longleaf's JTRLE Build 5437FE8C-4983-4521-9B74-19FFA7C2114F.JPG
Sponsored