Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion is that the head end GPS will never be as good as android auto / google maps. Just plug your phone in and use that.
LOL - google maps, the same map system that wanted to send me into Peoria, IL to get to St. Louis from Des Moines - adding over an hour to the trip, and the same system that took me to an abandoned rail yard in Sioux City instead of a business office in town.
I had Google map our path to Colorado Springs and even the JT NAV system beat the heck out of Google. Google said almost 12 hours and it was barely 11 in reality. Google also wanted to send us through Denver, way out of our way. I check things with Google, but I don't rely on it for directions. It's almost always wrong.
I found Waze to be accurate but our system said that it couldn't display Waze from my phone to the Jeep display - said it wasn't compatible.

Now if I had a phone I could SEE in the vehicle, maybe - but these eyes and fingers just don't like phone screens. Tiny, cumbersome. Maybe a 10" tablet.........
Sponsored

joejoethetireman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
LOL - google maps, the same map system that wanted to send me into Peoria, IL to get to St. Louis from Des Moines - adding over an hour to the trip, and the same system that took me to an abandoned rail yard in Sioux City instead of a business office in town.
I had Google map our path to Colorado Springs and even the JT NAV system beat the heck out of Google. Google said almost 12 hours and it was barely 11 in reality. Google also wanted to send us through Denver, way out of our way. I check things with Google, but I don't rely on it for directions. It's almost always wrong.
I found Waze to be accurate but our system said that it couldn't display Waze from my phone to the Jeep display - said it wasn't compatible.

Now if I had a phone I could SEE in the vehicle, maybe - but these eyes and fingers just don't like phone screens. Tiny, cumbersome. Maybe a 10" tablet.........
Interesting. I love Waze. Its mainly what I actually use. I am waiting on delivery of my gladiator. I know when I test drive one that Waze worked on the infotainment system. (Android Auto) Are you using android auto or apple car play?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I love Waze. Its mainly what I actually use. I am waiting on delivery of my gladiator. I know when I test drive one that Waze worked on the infotainment system. (Android Auto) Are you using android auto or apple car play?
Android. I plugged it in to charge it and the truck kept annoying me with the connect message and notice one time I went to close the message that while I had waze open on my phone the JT screen said something along the lines of "app not compatible" or words to that effect. (I finally turned off the automatic sensing of a phone being plugged in as my wife and I only wanted to charge our phones on the long drive - I was using mine to play music into BT head phones while my wife listened to her (GAG) country music on the truck system. So I was using a lot of phone power.

I was also impressed with waze but I can't deal with running apps on a phone - too tiny a screen to see, no fine control with fingers touching a phone screen, etc. Have to hold it just right to see it (and it's a good LG only a couple of years old tops). My fingers don't do touch screens well either. So I rely on larger screens and not having to use a toothpick to click something small on a phone.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
My Nav seemed fine until I updated the maps. Now when I'm on 81 (major highway) going to my in-laws, it keeps telling me to take the next exit. The problem is I am still 90 miles from their house. Last month it put me on this dangerous mountain road that was unpaved. I was stuck on that road for a long time. It's hard to trust now.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Nav seemed fine until I updated the maps. Now when I'm on 81 (major highway) going to my in-laws, it keeps telling me to take the next exit. The problem is I am still 90 miles from their house. Last month it put me on this dangerous mountain road that was unpaved. I was stuck on that road for a long time. It's hard to trust now.
I have not updated anything to do with NAV and yet I've noticed on several trips, especially in the area of Colorado Springs, the NAV would have us turn off a highway, go through residential areas, stop signs and slow speed limits - only later to end up back on the same highway.
When we went shopping there it would send us down a couple of blocks to a stop light, tell us to do a u-turn, come back, and then turn right into the shopping center parking lot, totally ignoring the LEFT TURN lanes to get into the same exact parking lot!
Several times we realized what it was doing and ignored it's directions to turn and found it was for some reason taking long ways around or ignoring obviously better routes.
Why would we drive right past left turn lanes that would let us get to a shopping center and instead go blocks down, u-turn and come back?
Why should we drive through residential areas, school zones and lots of stop signs instead of staying on a main road around those areas and saving 10 minutes?
Last month we went to a friends house to pick up some beef he had smoked for us. He lived way out in the sticks, middle of nowhere. NAV wanted us to take a route that had been a dead end for years and when we bypassed that knowing it was wrong, it then took us over miles of unpaved rock and then dirt roads through the sticks into his place the back way - he laughed and said - why'd your come that way? The highway is just a mile south of here on this rock road.........
NAV again. It's really funky.
On my wife's WK2s it's been just fine. Only on this truck has it been really stupid. Maybe they did that on purpose knowing it's an off-road capable vehicle?

Sponsored

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have not updated anything to do with NAV and yet I've noticed on several trips, especially in the area of Colorado Springs, the NAV would have us turn off a highway, go through residential areas, stop signs and slow speed limits - only later to end up back on the same highway.
When we went shopping there it would send us down a couple of blocks to a stop light, tell us to do a u-turn, come back, and then turn right into the shopping center parking lot, totally ignoring the LEFT TURN lanes to get into the same exact parking lot!
Several times we realized what it was doing and ignored it's directions to turn and found it was for some reason taking long ways around or ignoring obviously better routes.
Why would we drive right past left turn lanes that would let us get to a shopping center and instead go blocks down, u-turn and come back?
Why should we drive through residential areas, school zones and lots of stop signs instead of staying on a main road around those areas and saving 10 minutes?
Last month we went to a friends house to pick up some beef he had smoked for us. He lived way out in the sticks, middle of nowhere. NAV wanted us to take a route that had been a dead end for years and when we bypassed that knowing it was wrong, it then took us over miles of unpaved rock and then dirt roads through the sticks into his place the back way - he laughed and said - why'd your come that way? The highway is just a mile south of here on this rock road.........
NAV again. It's really funky.
On my wife's WK2s it's been just fine. Only on this truck has it been really stupid. Maybe they did that on purpose knowing it's an off-road capable vehicle?
Also there are a few roads that were put in four or five years ago and these updated maps are clueless about those. I think the usb stick just had a version number on it.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Maybe your Nav knows something about your in-laws, and is trying to save you.😂

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe your Nav knows something about your in-laws, and is trying to save you.😂
LOL, no I am truly blessed with my wife’s family. They are awesome.

ilmostro

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Willys '23 JL 392
I've never used my GPS. I use Google maps via CarPlay and Gaia when I'm wheeling.

Badeye

First Name
Jessee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator
Occupation
Mechanic
Hi there, we just got a 2021 Jeep Gladiator a week ago and have been having Nav issues since day 1. The dealership has had us reset the nav multiple times with no success. We took it to them yesterday hoping that it needed an update and even that didn't work.

The service advisor pulled another one off the lot to check that Nav and that one had the same problems as well so we know it's not just our Nav that isn't working properly.

The issue is when we put a street name in, it doesn't recognize it. It won't give us the option of spelling out the whole street a lot of times either...it prefills the streets that it *thinks* are there but doesn't include all of the streets.

I hope this makes sense and someone can shed some light on this. It even has the service advisor stumped.

Thank you!

Sponsored

Badeye

First Name
Jessee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator
Occupation
Mechanic
Hi there, we just got a 2021 Jeep Gladiator a week ago and have been having Nav issues since day 1. The dealership has had us reset the nav multiple times with no success. We took it to them yesterday hoping that it needed an update and even that didn't work.

The service advisor pulled another one off the lot to check that Nav and that one had the same problems as well so we know it's not just our Nav that isn't working properly.

The issue is when we put a street name in, it doesn't recognize it. It won't give us the option of spelling out the whole street a lot of times either...it prefills the streets that it *thinks* are there but doesn't include all of the streets.

I hope this makes sense and someone can shed some light on this. It even has the service advisor stumped.

Thank you!
Junk, go to a truck stop get a rand mcnally tnd you’ll never have a problem

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Junk, go to a truck stop get a rand mcnally tnd you’ll never have a problem
Way to resurrect a 2 year old thread (sort of like the other way old thread)
.............helpful advice for sure.
they've not been here in almost 3 years.
Sponsored