Sponsored

2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
Just had the Clayton 1.5" Level Kit installed. On my Sport, I think it raised it a bit more than 1.5” but I didn’t actually measure before and after. It’s sitting pretty level right now - maybe slightly higher in the front, but I plan to add a new bumper and winch which should bring the front slightly back down. So far, really like the ride!

Also had the Sting Gray/Go Mango decals put on. I think they add a nice pop of color! Eventually, I think I'd like to add some more, but don't want to overdo it either.

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg
Looks good Holmes, coming together very nice. Have to commit about your house, we have the same Pacific Blue siding on our home.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kyoung05

First Name
Kyoung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2005 STI, 2020 M340i
It's been a while since I last updated, but I've added a bunch of things to the truck and wanted to share.

First, I wanted to find a setup that would allow me to keep the tonneau cover, but still be able to add a bed rack so I could have an awning and roof top tent. I looked at several options, and ultimately decided to go with the Billie Bars setup with the 8" tall rails. I wanted to make sure I had enough clearance to still roll back the tonneau cover when needed. I knew it'd be a tight fit, and the cover couldn't be rolled up as easily as it could without the rack, but it ended up working out pretty well. It takes a bit longer and some finessing to get the cover to roll/unroll, but overall it works well and gives me the functionality I was looking for.

Next, I wanted a 270-degree awning that wouldn't interfere with my ability to open the soft top, and not have much overhand past the tailgate. I decided on the Nomadic 270LTE Driver Side 270 Degree Awning which I believe was a newer product for them. At 65", it's slightly longer than the bed, but as you can see below, it actually fits quite well. There's just a BIT of overhang past the tailgate, but not past the rear bumper which is what I wanted. Overall, pretty happy with the way it looks and more importantly, the way it functions.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_1890

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_1964

As for the Rooftop Tent, I wanted something that could sleep my family of 3, and again, not overhang much. I went with the FSR High Country 63', and think it fits very well and meets my needs.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_2346

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_2345
Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_2343
Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_2344

BTW, I got the RTT and the Billie Bars directly from Billie Bars and they were an absolute pleasure to work with. Very responsive to every question I had regarding fitment, and even sent some hardware for me to test fit before finalizing the order. Top notch service and I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Next, I wanted to address the suspension. While the ride on the Clayton Level Kit was very good, I wanted to find a way to make it ride more like a Mojave. After speaking to my shop, they recommended the Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks. I was debating whether to also go for the electronic damping controller, but decided against it when the shop said the adjustments were quick to do manually, and that the electronic controller just one more thing to go wrong. I agreed, and think I made the right choice.

In comfort mode, the truck rides softer than the stock shocks for sure. Maybe not quite as soft as I was hoping for, but overall an improvement. Haven't had time to play around with the stiffer settings, but as currently configured in comfort mode, I'm very happy with the ride quality. Definitely feels more planted while also being more compliant. Maybe playing with the tire pressures a bit would help further (currently running 36 PSI).

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_2312
Jeep Gladiator 2022 Sting Gray Gladiator Sport Build IMG_2313

Finally, I wanted to see about adding a bit more power. I went with the HikeIt throttle controller. I posted a review in another thread already, but I am very pleased with the results. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but honestly it's been a game changer.

In almost any of the modes, it's like the "turbo lag" has been completely removed. Because it feels like it's gained a ton more low end torque, it's almost like driving a completely different car. The off the line throttle response is night and day. I'm still playing around with the settings since some of them feel almost too twitchy. I'm currently using Sport 3 or 4, and that seems to be a pretty good sweet spot for now.

Of course, this isn't a magic bullet and you can tell that once you're into the upper/mid-range of the RPM band, the acceleration still isn't great. However, this makes it more noticeable because before, you felt nothing, nothing, nothing, before it started to pull. Now, it pulls immediately, but by comparison, it feels like the power curve flattens out pretty dramatically past 4k RPMs or so whereas before, that was when the engine actually woke up. I realize this is all perception since the tuning hasn't changed at all - just the throttle sensitivity. But, it is very noticeable to me. Still, it's a trade I'm fine making 100% of the time since I never really had an issue with the Jeep's top end acceleration.

For now, I'm very happy with how she sits. I still want to add a few more things - specifically a metal bumper and winch. Also, looking for the best bang for the buck in actually adding power. My shop recommended a regear and the Edelbrock supercharger kit, so I am getting that priced out right now. I did get a quote on a 392 swap that would allow me to keep a manual transmission (albeit an upgraded one to handle the additional power) and while expensive, it's VERY tempting. I am looking at these next steps in conjunction with the fact that there's still an open recall on the manual transmissions. From what I've read it sounds like I could upgrade the clutch to an ACT or Centerforce unit and resolve the problem that way, but from there, I'm trying to see what the cost difference between the Clutch + Regear + Supercharger would run, vs. just going for the 392 swap.

That said, I don't think the power is lacking in any way right now, but I could always use more.

If anyone is looking to go down a similar path, feel free to reach out with any questions. Happy to help answer whatever I can.

IMG_2346.jpg