First Name
Rockland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2020 BMW Z4 M40i, 2019 Honda Foreman Rubicon
Occupation
retired engineer
Just returned home from a 3200 mile road. I have some observations about my new JTR and comparisons to the '14 JK. There was no off road driving on this trip. Only a quick visit to see an aging (95 year old) mother-in-law.
  1. The JTR averaged (calculated not computer) 20.1 mph. I thought this was commendable considering 410 gears and the JK could only manage 17 mph with 373 gears. The cruise in each case was set at 75 mph.
  2. The "off road page" finally showed the lat/lon and altitude once I got into north Florida. It promptly went away went I returned south of north Florida. Apparently, the software or sensors need 100+ feet of elevation for the coordinates and altitude to respond.
  3. The JTR wanders a lot more than the JK did. It was also much harder to control in a crosswind, the wind always blows in central IL. I suspect the longer wheelbase may be part of the issue.
  4. The JTR ride was very much more comfortable than the JK.
  5. I changed the oil and checked all the fluids prior to leaving, including the pumpkins and transfer case. That is when I learned there is no transmission dipstick. I should have read the manual. Clearly noted there is the lack of a transmission dipstick.
  6. As anticipated the JTR did not use any oil. The JK never used any oil between changes during the 100k I owned it.
That is all I can think of right now. The trip started with 5.6k and ended with a little over 8.9k on the odometer.

JTR is a very nice vehicle in all aspects. Tomorrow it goes back to 4x4 mud running to get into my ranch.
Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
Number 2 is good to know. I'm in South Florida and my offroad position has never worked.

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
I have observed the same thing with the lat/long and altitude. Apparently it doesn't work when you are too close to sea level. Wonder if it stops working in Death Valley as well?

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
The weird thing is I can pull up info in nav app but it doesn't show in off-road pages.
Sponsored