A “rear” diff in the front?

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
I would never suggest someone install a Trac Lok. Well know for failures, specifically chipped spider gears. Just saying’ as you’ve already gleaned they aren’t available anyway for theJL.
Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I installed lockers in the boss's wreckers years ago. It took a heck of a lot to break those things loose. Made a huge difference in those winter runs for him.
Limited slip, like you say - are typically clutch or cones and those in the JT allow the wheels to turn independently with no preload while the older ones like used in my cars will break loose with about 45 pound/feet of torque applied - but they'll grip like crazy under really high torque conditions.
Very different animals - just like you said.

This is "posi" or "Limited slip", AMC called their version "Twin grip".

Trac-Loc.jpg

PowrLoc-Assembly.jpg

Here's one I had a customer bring me to rebuild a couple of years back - a couple of the plates were blue, most were pretty scored -

posi-plates_2011.jpg

posi-plates_2015.jpg
Here is a Detroit, No clutch plates (though they do call the sides "clutch", it is not a friction plate type of clutch)
From Easton website.
The Detroit Locker is a 100%-automatic locking differential that provides ultimate traction for mild to extreme vehicle applications. Its unique, bullet-proof design is engineered to keep both wheels in drive mode - even is one wheel is lifted off the ground.

Operation
During straight-line driving, the Detroit Locker captures 100% of available torque and sends it equally to both wheels. In turns and maneuvers, the internal components unlock to allow one wheel to spin faster or slower as necessary (free wheel). When the vehicle returns to a straight-line driving path, the components re-engage and provide power to both wheel ends.

Jeep Gladiator A “rear” diff in the front? pct_473059

This is what I run in the XJ.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a Detroit, No clutch plates (though they do call the sides "clutch", it is not a friction plate type of clutch)
From Easton website.
The Detroit Locker is a 100%-automatic locking differential that provides ultimate traction for mild to extreme vehicle applications. Its unique, bullet-proof design is engineered to keep both wheels in drive mode - even is one wheel is lifted off the ground.

Operation
During straight-line driving, the Detroit Locker captures 100% of available torque and sends it equally to both wheels. In turns and maneuvers, the internal components unlock to allow one wheel to spin faster or slower as necessary (free wheel). When the vehicle returns to a straight-line driving path, the components re-engage and provide power to both wheel ends.

Jeep Gladiator A “rear” diff in the front? pct_473059
How long has this type/brand been around? This looks similar to what I installed in both of the wreckers in about 1980 give or take a year.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
How long has this type/brand been around? This looks similar to what I installed in both of the wreckers in about 1980 give or take a year.
A Little Locker History
The Detroit Locker was initially called a “Thornton NoSPIN Differential.” Ray Thornton patented it in 1941 as device for use in six wheel (tandem drive) truck applications. The NoSPIN was manufactured by the Detroit Automotive Product Corporation and was used on American military vehicles during World War II.

After the war and into the 1960s, the Thornton NoSPIN was original equipment on light and medium duty trucks. That’s right about when it got the Detroit Locker nickname—and when racers and high performance enthusiasts started to take an interest in it. They used the Detroit Locker on everything from road racers to NASCAR roundy-rounders and land speed record cars. In the late 1960s, some Ford performance cars had the Detroit Locker as a factory option. And to no one’s surprise, the Detroit Locker was found in cars at virtually every drag strip in the nation.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A Little Locker History
The Detroit Locker was initially called a “Thornton NoSPIN Differential.” Ray Thornton patented it in 1941 as device for use in six wheel (tandem drive) truck applications. The NoSPIN was manufactured by the Detroit Automotive Product Corporation and was used on American military vehicles during World War II.

After the war and into the 1960s, the Thornton NoSPIN was original equipment on light and medium duty trucks. That’s right about when it got the Detroit Locker nickname—and when racers and high performance enthusiasts started to take an interest in it. They used the Detroit Locker on everything from road racers to NASCAR roundy-rounders and land speed record cars. In the late 1960s, some Ford performance cars had the Detroit Locker as a factory option. And to no one’s surprise, the Detroit Locker was found in cars at virtually every drag strip in the nation.
Google is our friend? LOL
So I could be right in thinking, gee, this looks familiar - I KNOW I installed "locking differential kits" for the boss - lockers, and he said it made a world of difference.
When he had a car on behind in less than great traction conditions, even with that big heavy winch and such sitting back there and the weight of the car - one wheel would slip - but not after I installed those.
I'm used to saving paperwork and instructions. Now I have to go look through all of my binders from back then and see if I saved the papers.
Sponsored