Sponsored

AFe Scorcher, aFe Sprint Booster, and Superchips Pulsar

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I need your help deciding on what to buy and opinion.

I ordered already Tazer JL mini
And I wanted to buy a throttle controller

But now I found from aFe Scorcher this alters MAP and IAT
is this the same as a throttle controller or could I install a three together?
Tazer, aFe Sprint Booster and aFe Scorcher
And adding one more to the equation the Superchips Pulsar
Which originally I had search that other member here have been using Tazer with Pulsar and also Tazer with no problem but now I am adding more to the math.
Sponsored

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
I'm running a TazerJL-Mini, and now added a Superchips Pulsar.
No issues here!

I'm not ready to nor about to start messing with MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) or IAT (Intake Air Temperature).
Messing with those sensors without fully knowing what you're doing is like crossing the beams, just bad.
WAAAY to easy to go all Thermo-Nuclear.

OP
OP
Slickxp

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running a TazerJL-Mini, and now added a Superchips Pulsar.
No issues here!

I'm not ready to nor about to start messing with MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) or IAT (Intake Air Temperature).
Messing with those sensors without fully knowing what you're doing is like crossing the beams, just bad.
WAAAY to easy to go all Thermo-Nuclear.
Thanks for your response

Question. With the Pulsar there is no reason to buy a throttle controller device?

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for your response

Question. With the Pulsar there is no reason to buy a throttle controller device?
The Pulsar has a Thottle modulator, I haven't played with it more than the power settings, as the 'Tow' and 'Performance' seem to take all the slack out on their own.
Not had much time with it, installed Friday, yesterday was Day-Drinkin-College-Football Day, today is my Monday.

OP
OP
Slickxp

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
The Pulsar has a Thottle modulator, I haven't played with it more than the power settings, as the 'Tow' and 'Performance' seem to take all the slack out on their own.
Not had much time with it, installed Friday, yesterday was Day-Drinkin-College-Football Day, today is my Monday.
Keep me posted.. enjoy

Reactions: JP1

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slickxp

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
This forum including Wrangler JL and YouTube has many info on:

• Tazer - Great reviews and comments
  • Throttle controller ( idrive, pedal Commander, etc...) Well documented with good review and to what I see it's just pretty much the same thing with different looks... IMO
  • Superchips Pulsar - okay review but still not to much info
  • aFe Scorcher GT Power Module - No review at all... It's available for other manufacturer but has different specs.

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I too have contemplated buying the Pusar unit would like to know if it helps especially when adding larger tires.
Installed the pulsar. Worked great for about 4 hours. Then the dash lit up and went into limp mode on the freeway. Long story short, after trying to problem solve eventually removed, and everything went back to normal. Can’t recommend at this time.

jncomatrix

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR LE Black, 1996 XJ 4.0 5.5" long arm, 2003 Matrix XRS,
Occupation
Commercial Vehicle Director
I have installed the pulsar myself. Instructions were off on some of the total bolts more than what was showing. Put 92 octane in and took it out for a drive. NO problems so far. I have an injen intake and the pulsar as my perf mods right now. The Pulsar brings the Gladiator to life especially on the performance setting. i dont believe you can adjust the pedal response since that is already done on the selected level of 1 to 4 for you. It feels like it adds the HP it says it does. Performance level does like to drink gas though !!!!

I do think the speedo is off even though i programmed the right size. Spoke with superchips and since there was a procal installed at the dealer when I had the lift and 37 installed that it may be cancelling it selfout. They suggested to set the tire size back to stock and recheck if its still off.

Last edited:

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
I have installed the pulsar myself. Instructions were off on some of the total bolts more than what was showing. Put 92 octane in and took it out for a drive. NO problems so far. I have an injen intake and the pulsar as my perf mods right now. The Pulsar brings the Gladiator to life especially on the performance setting. i dont believe you can adjust the pedal response since that is already done on the selected level of 1 to 4 for you. It feels like it adds the HP it says it does. Performance level does like to drink gas though !!!!

I do think the speedo is off even though i programmed the right size. Spoke with superchips and since there was a procal installed at the dealer when I had the lift and 37 installed that it may be cancelling it selfout. They suggested to set the tire size back to stock and recheck if its still off.
So, I set my speedo with the TazerJL, checked by GPS, it's exact.
(download a GPS speedo app for your phone to calibrate).
I rechecked after installing the PULSAR, still good to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slickxp

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I just received the Tazer Mini. I'm going to try the Pulsar and see. Thanks for all your help.
I should receive my truck next week. I'll keep you update.

So far these are the mods:
  • Tazer
  • aFe intake
  • Pulsar (ordered)
  • 3.5" lift (Rough Country)
  • Nitto Ridge Grapper 35" x 13.5" x R20
  • Fuel wheel 20"
  • Nerf Step-bar

Reactions: JP1
OP
OP
Slickxp

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I just received the Tazer Mini. I'm going to try the Pulsar and see. Thanks for all your help.
I should receive my truck next week. I'll keep you update.

So far these are the mods:
  • Tazer
  • aFe intake
  • Pulsar (ordered)
  • 3.5" lift (Rough Country)
  • Nitto Ridge Grapper 35" x 13.5" x R20
  • Fuel wheel 20"
  • Nerf Step-bar
Okay only 1 1/2 day with Tazer Mini, AFE intake and also with the Pulsar.
My intake in short time.

Tazer works like a charm, easy to configure.
AFE Intake: Don't know if adds power but I didn't buy for that reason, I bought for the "Ear Dyno" and it does just that.
Here is the tough one the PULSAR
It does give that extra Butt Dyno and removes throttle lag. But the setting is not as easy or at least not for me.
When entering the setting menu if you try to return to the menu after making a mistake, I have to leave it alone and try it after it decides to return back. I was running the Tazer and I removed it just to see if was causing conflict, but no it continue with the same issues.
I'm going to reach out with the company, I need to make my discussion quick.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Okay only 1 1/2 day with Tazer Mini, AFE intake and also with the Pulsar.
My intake in short time.

Tazer works like a charm, easy to configure.
AFE Intake: Don't know if adds power but I didn't buy for that reason, I bought for the "Ear Dyno" and it does just that.
Here is the tough one the PULSAR
It does give that extra Butt Dyno and removes throttle lag. But the setting is not as easy or at least not for me.
When entering the setting menu if you try to return to the menu after making a mistake, I have to leave it alone and try it after it decides to return back. I was running the Tazer and I removed it just to see if was causing conflict, but no it continue with the same issues.
I'm going to reach out with the company, I need to make my discussion quick.
Would you say the pulsar is worth the $500 expense? Personally id be looking to free up some mpg but doubt it would do that

OP
OP
Slickxp

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Would you say the pulsar is worth the $500 expense? Personally id be looking to free up some mpg but doubt it would do that
I can't answer on MPG, but if I have to say I don't think that will happen because you will love the "Performance" setting and I really don't think that will be any savings.

In regards to be worth $500. If you take into account that they are for now the only one with a real tune without modding the PCM I guess that they have a nitch. But taking in consideration that I believe that there setting it's a little week. But a lot of us would spend $300+ on a throttle controller that is just a little device that looks not more than a 100 bucks (IMO), so maybe $500 it's okay if you consider that has a basic throttle controller, a TPMS, tires setting and adds power.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Interested in your review.
Sponsored