Coder

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Looking at these two products. I was wondering if anyone had the pair or knows anything about the compatibility. I like that the AAL overhead is no drill, but I'd really like to add the Bestop sunrider at some point. Thanks for any info.

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jt-overhead-molle-shelf/

https://www.bestop.com/products/sunrider-for-hardtop-jeep-2020-2022-gladiator-2018-2022-wrangler-jl/
I have the Molle overhead shelf system and totally love my setup. It was very easy to assemble and install no issues at all. I have my GMRS mounted to it and my wife uses it to store stuff for her reading pleasure during our trips. I don't know how it would be with the bestop sunrider though.

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
I dont have the same overhead molle system you posted, I have one that only goes from the windshield to the hardtop. If i can find the mfg i'll post the link, i dont remember who's it is. I also have the Sunrider and the pair do work together.

However, i did need to do a bit of 'modding' to get the Sunrider mounting hardware to fit. I'll try to post some pics later today.

There is a piece of Sunrider hardware that mounts to the part of the hardtop that stays on the Jeep. So, you remove the Freedom Panels, now you have the aft half of the hardtop still on the Jeep, in the forward section, in the middle, is where the Sunrider hardware mounts. That is also where the molle systems mounts. I found a stock pic and have circled the piece in question.

If memory serves me correct, I had to remove some material from the Sunrider hardware to get the molle to fit in the correct location for mounting. The hardware is a hard plastic, imagine that. My molle panel was designed for the stock circled section to integrate with the molle install. The Sunrider hardware is not designed for anything to integrate. But, being Jeep folks, when has that ever stopped us from integrating anything to anything?

I'll see if I can get some decent pics of my set up this afternoon.

Sunrider.jpg

OP
OP
TheTrailGeek

TheTrailGeek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - Gator
Occupation
Coder
I dont have the same overhead molle system you posted, I have one that only goes from the windshield to the hardtop. If i can find the mfg i'll post the link, i dont remember who's it is. I also have the Sunrider and the pair do work together.

However, i did need to do a bit of 'modding' to get the Sunrider mounting hardware to fit. I'll try to post some pics later today.

There is a piece of Sunrider hardware that mounts to the part of the hardtop that stays on the Jeep. So, you remove the Freedom Panels, now you have the aft half of the hardtop still on the Jeep, in the forward section, in the middle, is where the Sunrider hardware mounts. That is also where the molle systems mounts. I found a stock pic and have circled the piece in question.

If memory serves me correct, I had to remove some material from the Sunrider hardware to get the molle to fit in the correct location for mounting. The hardware is a hard plastic, imagine that. My molle panel was designed for the stock circled section to integrate with the molle install. The Sunrider hardware is not designed for anything to integrate. But, being Jeep folks, when has that ever stopped us from integrating anything to anything?

Jeep Gladiator American Adventure Lab Overhead Molle with Bestop Sunrider Sunrider

Much appreciated!!!!

Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con

Jeep Gladiator American Adventure Lab Overhead Molle with Bestop Sunrider Sunrider
Hmmm if I recall correctly, my method of making it work was a box knife and a mallet🤣

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Actually I just remembered what I had to do, I had to cut about 1/3 of the plastic insert that came with the sunrider top for the middle rear. I believe my overhead panel was the JCR overhead molle panel.

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Selfmod, oh yeah! A mallet was involved in my 'mod' also.
I used a dremel and went through a couple little discs. Obviously, when working with plastic, it's a fine line between cutting and melting.

The JCR is the rack I have also.
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JLOMP-PC.html

The AAL molle looks cool, but i really question the usability of the rack that is directly overhead. i did hang my CB from the JCR rack but i hated having the cord hanging below eye level. For me it was too distracting. I can tell you that there is no way I could have anything over my head or in front of and above my head in this truck. There is just not enough room. Right now I have the body for my ham radio hanging, an external speaker for my CB and a molle pack for another couple radios i carry. My .02 cents.

If you look between the orange lines you can see that the plastic has been modded. I was a little nervous about cutting on this piece, hoping it would not hurt the strength of the part. I've done a few road trips now, zero issues.
Jeep Gladiator American Adventure Lab Overhead Molle with Bestop Sunrider SR 01

Jeep Gladiator American Adventure Lab Overhead Molle with Bestop Sunrider SR02
Jeep Gladiator American Adventure Lab Overhead Molle with Bestop Sunrider SR03
Jeep Gladiator American Adventure Lab Overhead Molle with Bestop Sunrider SR04

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And I figured what the heck, a couple hero shots. The first one is Last Dollar Rd outside Telluride.
The second one is where they filmed True Grit, the real one, not the 'remake'. aka: fake one.
I love this top.

Jeep Gladiator American Adventure Lab Overhead Molle with Bestop Sunrider Last Dollar
Jeep Gladiator American Adventure Lab Overhead Molle with Bestop Sunrider True Grit
Sponsored