Sponsored

Are rear storage bins standard?

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
My Rubicon came with one like this, like @MMMII said I'm not sure if it comes stock in the other trims.

IMG_20190620_092930.png

This works adequately for me using the seats as the covers, though the seats do not lock down. If I ever need a whomping 400 Watts of power in the bed I will just run an extension cord out the sliding rear window and plug into the outlet on the rear of console.

The Cargo Management Group is the most economical way to get the locking under seat storage if ordering or already on the Gladiator you purchased.
Like most packages, it only really makes economic sense if you want all of the parts of it - it's not a bad deal for the outlet, bed rails, tie down anchors and under seat storage, but if you only want one of those probably doesn't make sense to get the package. If you want two of them, you basically get the 3rd for free. I wanted the tie downs and outlet, but in retrospect the outlet is the least useful of them due to needing the vehicle running or acc on (which shuts off automatically after ~20 minutes). I mostly use it for charging stuff and running LED lights while camping, and nothing charges in <20 minutes and it'd take a week to kill the battery running some LED lights and charging a laptop, so I ended up just using an aftermarket inverter anyway.

The locking storage isn't that useful, I don't think I've ever locked it as locking the vehicle usually suffices and both the glove box and center console lock, so there's not a whole lot extra I need locked up. It'd be more useful for longer gun transportation/storage, which I think is the real purpose of it. I have tie downs, mini air compressor, inverter, winch kit etc. in there but nothing that really needs to be locked, it's all easily and fairly cheaply replaceable.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Like most packages, it only really makes economic sense if you want all of the parts of it - it's not a bad deal for the outlet, bed rails, tie down anchors and under seat storage, but if you only want one of those probably doesn't make sense to get the package. If you want two of them, you basically get the 3rd for free. I wanted the tie downs and outlet...
I mostly just wanted the lockable bin, but I figured the bed outlet was a bonus. Don't really know if I will use the bed tiedown system, since I really don't know much about it. Have to wait and see, since have not received truck yet.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mostly just wanted the lockable bin, but I figured the bed outlet was a bonus. Don't really know if I will use the bed tiedown system, since I really don't know much about it. Have to wait and see, since have not received truck yet.
I use the tie downs the most, by far. Makes it really easy to secure a load or add bed accessories. I use the box a lot, but don't think I've ever locked it, so the base underseat bin would work just as well for me tbh, though the box doesn't let anything slide under the seat.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I use the tie downs the most, by far. Makes it really easy to secure a load or add bed accessories. I use the box a lot, but don't think I've ever locked it, so the base underseat bin would work just as well for me, though the box doesn't let anything slide under the seat.
Good to know about the tiedown system. I was wondering if it will interfere with installing the Softopper, which is an aftermarket accessory I would like to get.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know about the tiedown system. I was wondering if it will interfere with installing the Softopper, which is an aftermarket accessory I would like to get.
Should make it easier, if anything. I have a fas-top on mine (soft top and tonneau combined) and it mounts to the rails. When I got it, they didn't have trail rail specific mounting system so I had to modify the bed mounts to work, but I believe the soft topper has trail rail mounts.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Should make it easier, if anything. I have a fas-top on mine (soft top and tonneau combined) and it mounts to the rails. When I got it, they didn't have trail rail specific mounting system so I had to modify the bed mounts to work, but I believe the soft topper has trail rail mounts.
The Fas-Top is intriguing, especially the Travel Package, and now on sale for about the same price as the Softopper. Gotta study that more before I order any top.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Sooner or later someone is going to sell a reasonably priced lockable aftermarket bin. With the Hardtop on it is really not a big deal but when it warms up and I want to leave the top down while out and about this will be an issue. There is remarkably little lockable storage in the Gladiator. For now I am using the lockable area behind the seats for tools. I have a few small backs with the basic tools along with a mini ratchet set that fit behind the seats. Larger item will just have to rely on the honestly system until there is a reasonably priced fix. Like with my Miata I generally just don't leave anything worth stealing in it.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Sooner or later someone is going to sell a reasonably priced lockable aftermarket bin.
I expect you're right about that. I just decided I did not want to wait for that. The other reason is if one orders the Cargo Management Group, the ignition key fits the lockable storage bin. That's a convenience. Could be considered a liability with valet parking, but I never use valet.

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Fas-Top is intriguing, especially the Travel Package, and now on sale for about the same price as the Softopper. Gotta study that more before I order any top.
Let me know if you have any questions, I really like it. Drive with the tonneau on 90% of the time, but it just rolls up and top unfolds when I need extra space and doesn't take up too much room when folded. Super convenient.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Let me know if you have any questions, I really like it. Drive with the tonneau on 90% of the time, but it just rolls up and top unfolds when I need extra space and doesn't take up too much room when folded. Super convenient.
I got a lot of questions; the Fas-Top website is scarce with info.

Can you have top and tonneau installed at the same time? How do they interact? Does the tonneau lock, like the Jeep OEM one?

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a lot of questions; the Fas-Top website is scarce with info.

Can you have top and tonneau installed at the same time? How do they interact? Does the tonneau lock, like the Jeep OEM one?
Yes - they are both installed together, that's the main selling point (at least for me), no need to store another accessory somewhere when you're not using it. The soft top folds under the tonneau when not in use and the tonneau rolls up and the top is designed to be deployed with it still on the truck. They both use the same bed top rails and locking mechanism, which when the tailgate is locked is unable to be opened. The locking mechanism is spring loaded on one side and manual on the other (which makes sense once you see it), so the method is to push the end rail into place and the spring loaded side auto-locks, then you manually lock the other side and opening is the reverse - unlock the manual side then unlock the spring loaded side. The zippers on the soft top are able to be locked, so the only way in is to un-velcro the sides and reach through the soft top bars. Not fully secure, but it's a soft top so never really will be.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Yes - they are both installed together, that's the main selling point (at least for me), no need to store another accessory somewhere when you're not using it. The soft top folds under the tonneau when not in use and the tonneau rolls up and the top is designed to be deployed with it still on the truck. They both use the same bed top rails and locking mechanism, which when the tailgate is locked is unable to be opened. The locking mechanism is spring loaded on one side and manual on the other (which makes sense once you see it), so the method is to push the end rail into place and the spring loaded side auto-locks, then you manually lock the other side and opening is the reverse - unlock the manual side then unlock the spring loaded side. The zippers on the soft top are able to be locked, so the only way in is to un-velcro the sides and reach through the soft top bars. Not fully secure, but it's a soft top so never really will be.
Thanks much for the info. I also found this top reviewed in another thread (many of those posts by you), and one of the big objections to the Fas-Top was the kind of wrinkled, baggy look to it. Have you been able to work that out? Does it tend to flap at highway speeds? Also, is the Fas-Top definitely compatible with the OEM Trail Rail System? i.e. can you leave the trail rail in place when you install fas-top travel package. Thanks again.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks much for the info. I also found this top reviewed in another thread (many of those posts by you), and one of the big objections to the Fas-Top was the kind of wrinkled, baggy look to it. Have you been able to work that out? Does it tend to flap at highway speeds? Also, is the Fas-Top definitely compatible with the OEM Trail Rail System? i.e. can you leave the trail rail in place when you install fas-top travel package. Thanks again.
No flapping at highway speeds, at least nothing I can hear or see. If you spend some time adjusting it and messing with the velcro you could probably get the wrinkles out, but honestly I don't care much about the looks, that's not why I bought it. Most of the time I run the tonneau.

I have it installed with the trail rails (unmodified), I did have to modify the brackets supplied with the package by cutting an inch off of them. They may have brackets specifically for the trail rails now, I'd call and ask.

84439523_2832612073444580_2133412085302820864_o.jpg

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
No flapping at highway speeds, at least nothing I can hear or see. If you spend some time adjusting it and messing with the velcro you could probably get the wrinkles out, but honestly I don't care much about the looks, that's not why I bought it. Most of the time I run the tonneau.

I have it installed with the trail rails (unmodified), I did have to modify the brackets supplied with the package by cutting an inch off of them. They may have brackets specifically for the trail rails now, I'd call and ask.

84439523_2832612073444580_2133412085302820864_o.jpg
Thanks again. I see your point: only put up the topper when hauling something bulky you don't want to get wet; the rest of the time the tonneau covers smaller carried items and maybe even helps a little with MPG.
Sponsored