First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
I believe it'll be tougher to buy outright or payoff rapidly on a 55k truck than it would be on a 28k truck. You could very well risk a lot if you end up upside-down after 2-3 years and your lifestyle changes/you have a need to get rid of this truck.

For me at least, I don't want to use my disposable funds to make a purchase of this truck with any more than 5-6k in down payment. No one wants to pay interest, but life happens, and gone are the days where the majority can just straight up purchase these things in cash for a couple grand. Doesn't mean I can't afford it, in fact, it's the opposite. I feel like I can do better keeping some of my money in the market at 8-10% and finance my vehicle at 4%. Depends on your lifestyle, but I see more people leaving money in a savings account doing nothing than I'd like to in my line of business. Either way, put that money to use!
Won’t be upside down as the $45k truck will be paid for...but yeah, life can change. Personally, should that change happen, I’d rather have a sellable asset than a 3 year commitment on a lease, whether I’ve made a down payment on that lease or not. As mentioned earlier, I also don’t want to ration my miles, or be concerned with a post-lease inspection that could cost me thousands.

Many ways to achieve peace of mind with our decisions...I’ll definitely enjoy this truck more knowing that it’s mine, than spending 3 years being responsible for a long term rental. During that time, I’ll be investing my “monthly payment” to help pay for the next vehicle. If Jeep holds to its pattern of increasing MSRP about $500 per year, the sticker on a comparable Gladiator in 3 years will be over $51,000, which means that people looking to buy a 3 year old truck probably won’t flinch at paying $42,000ish. Maybe that’s a best case scenario, but it plays out to me actually losing less than $200 per month, including taxes.
Sponsored

tncruiser

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram truck
Occupation
retiered
Oh, I wouldn't have even responded if you said "Chick-Fil-A isn't delicious", I would've just voted to ban you lol

Maybe using the wrong term, but regardless, both times I leased, and both times the car was totaled, and both time I got a check equal to or slightly less than my initial down payment. Now maybe I just got lucky and that skewed my opinion.

The other issue with the lease is the obvious wear and tear (I mean, we're buying offroad machines, so there is the risk that we might be moving straight past the basic wear and tear and into "gotta fix it" category, which in the case of my Audi, will cost me some significant change)

I guess what it comes down to is if the OP wants to wheel offroad, or whether the furthest they'll go is over a curb at the mall. There are people that would argue that a lease is an expensive rental. Just like a D/P, you're basically paying for something that you almost never own at the end (unless you buy out). Considering Lease MF's are running higher than finance rates, you could make the argument that either one makes sense.

Either way, we're spending significant money on a rapidly depreciating asset, which makes us all equally not very smart, but Jeep :computerrage::jk:
now i want some chik-filet