Sponsored

Bed rack/storage for kayaks

notquiteflotsam

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave; 2011 JKU Sport (retired)
Single Voodoo rack and Yakima bed extender. Used the bed extender initially with the kayaks sitting in the bed, but decided we wanted to still use the bed for the rest of the lake gear.

032ED21A-B48D-4E3C-A0F0-19D0476E3578.jpeg
34EC965E-99EF-4694-A8D2-6E9C8E6AABC8.jpeg
I just ordered my Gladiator to replace my beloved JKU. I have been hauling my kayaks on a custom trailer but am curious about this set up for easy day trips around the area instead. How's the stability of this on the highway? How far are you transporting with this set up? I've got a 12' Jackson that I'm trying to haul. Thanks
Sponsored

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2013 Outback
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
I just ordered my Gladiator to replace my beloved JKU. I have been hauling my kayaks on a custom trailer but am curious about this set up for easy day trips around the area instead. How's the stability of this on the highway? How far are you transporting with this set up? I've got a 12' Jackson that I'm trying to haul. Thanks
I took pvc pipe, marine seat foam, marine carpet, and zip ties and made an in bed kayak rest that connect to a boonedox adjustable bed extender for my Jackson big rig. Didn't get a chance to try it with the kayak, but did multiple times with multiple 12 foot hard paddleboards.

Never got to highway speeds, but given the multiple tieoffs on the kayak, I think this should be fairly good to go.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
I’m now going with inverted bed extender and a pool noodle or foam block on the roof.

DAE93F26-B8A2-4612-8ECB-CDCE8EDA05CF.jpeg

gladnewb

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Still figuring that out, but IT for now!
Here is mine. Thule goalpost and one of the crossbars. Carries 2 10ft kayaks.

Jeep Gladiator Bed rack/storage for kayaks DAE93F26-B8A2-4612-8ECB-CDCE8EDA05CF

I see this thread is a few years old. Has this held up? I need to carry two 10-11ft kayaks. This could work for me. Any feedback on how this is working out? Thanks.

notquiteflotsam

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave; 2011 JKU Sport (retired)
I took pvc pipe, marine seat foam, marine carpet, and zip ties and made an in bed kayak rest that connect to a boonedox adjustable bed extender for my Jackson big rig. Didn't get a chance to try it with the kayak, but did multiple times with multiple 12 foot hard paddleboards.

Never got to highway speeds, but given the multiple tieoffs on the kayak, I think this should be fairly good to go.
Do you have a picture of this setup? Have you tried it with your Jackson yet? I finally have a built gladiator - delivery supposedly in mid June.

Sponsored

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
Do you have a picture of this setup? Have you tried it with your Jackson yet? I finally have a built gladiator - delivery supposedly in mid June.
Jeep Gladiator Bed rack/storage for kayaks 20220529_133604_2

I had the BigRig Fd/HD out this weekend. I ended up taking the 45 degree angle out of the T-bone portion and the bunks just went straight in to the PVC on the Tbone. I found the kayak to be more stable driving than carrying both 12 foot paddle boards (hard shell) but I am only going a few miles all on local roads and it has the weight going for it.

It is all doable, but is a bit much to wrangle a boat that size up into the bed. If i don't get a microtrailer that I can just drop it in at the ramp (the non-trailer launch is a rocky beach), I may end up mounting a boat winch I have in the garage on my front billiebar to help pull it up and into the bed. LOL

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
I had the BigRig Fd/HD out this weekend. I ended up taking the 45 degree angle out of the T-bone portion and the bunks just went straight in to the PVC on the Tbone. I found the kayak to be more stable driving than carrying both 12 foot paddle boards (hard shell) but I am only going a few miles all on local roads and it has the weight going for it.

It is all doable, but is a bit much to wrangle a boat that size up into the bed. If i don't get a microtrailer that I can just drop it in at the ramp (the non-trailer launch is a rocky beach), I may end up mounting a boat winch I have in the garage on my front billiebar to help pull it up and into the bed. LOL
FWIW --- I ended up getting a deal on a Malone Microsport Trailer for the kayak. I was surprised at how easily it went together. Hardest part was getting it registered..... multiple appointments. DMV didn't understand and didn't want to understand why the Bill of Sale didn't come from the retailer or why it was notarized before the purchase.

Got PVC bunks installed to give some flex so I can store it on the trailer for grab and go options. Will be adding paddleboard racks as well.

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
I went with the VooDoo 14" bed rack. I wanted to keep my factory tonneau cover and this looks and works great. I made an additional bolt on extension to get it to my desired height for my kayak. this worked perfectly and gave me the space I needed to carry my tent above the rack and below the kayak. Very happy with the rack and the kayak was rock solid on my trip.
imYKxB.jpg

9kJ07m.jpg

aHdzvP.jpg

Hank

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
I went with the VooDoo 14" bed rack. I wanted to keep my factory tonneau cover and this looks and works great. I made an additional bolt on extension to get it to my desired height for my kayak. this worked perfectly and gave me the space I needed to carry my tent above the rack and below the kayak. Very happy with the rack and the kayak was rock solid on my trip.
Jeep Gladiator Bed rack/storage for kayaks aHdzvP

Hank
That does look good and very effective. Good job!
Sponsored