Bed Rack w/RTT

Canuck33

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone use this combination...Artec Industries Bed Rails and then a RTT (likely the Roofnest Condor)? I do a fair bit of camping and trips but don't want to keep taking off a large bed rack & RTT, then add the tonneau back on for security (hockey equipment, etc.). Thought this would be a nice alternative...rails are basically flush to the bed, then the RTT could go over and provide the security (not perfect, but neither is a normal tonneau...just deters the simple crooks!). The only challenge is it's only 48 inches wide vs. bed width of 54 inches, but 3 inches open space on the side isn't really an issue.

https://rebeloffroad.com/artec-industries-jt-gladiator-bed-rail-kit-aluminum-cr1008/
https://roofnest.com/product/condor/

If I went with this set-up, any ideas for carrying MTB/Gravel bikes that isn't a hitch mount (I hate those!). I currently just use over the tailgate, but that won't work here.

Any other suggestions for something functional but not unmanageable would be great. I still do drive with the top-doors off in the summer when not taking off camping, so I don't want it look odd with all the gear. Thanks.
Sponsored

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
I was in a similar situation as you and wanted the shorter or more stream-lined rack. I decided I was wrong and ordered a full height rack.

I took a gamble and ordered a full-size JCR rack and I couldn't be happier after using it for 6 months.
  • Plenty of room for gear
  • Still can use tonneau cover
  • Can fit my bikes in the bed if need be or if I want, purchase JCR bike hooks.

I am not saying you're wrong for wanting what you want, but, think of where all the gear is going with a short rack.

I keep my rack on year round but take the tent off in the winter (Wisconsin).

For what it's worth, I think the solution you're looking at is neat and could work well.

OP
OP
Canuck33

Canuck33

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response. I am looking at something where I can keep the RTT below the cab height. The only limitation is the bikes and easy access to the full bed.

DoAWheelie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I’ve been thinking of a combo to do the same that would be easily removable when loading motorcycles in the bed and also lower than roof height so the truck can fit in the garage with a tent on the back.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet but the current leader is the KB Voodoo aluminum crossbars with quick release.

Would also allow you to mount a bike roof carrier to it if you choose or pull the bars when a bike goes in.

https://www.kbvoodoo.com/shop/jeep-gladiator-aluminum-hi-rise-crossbars-for-use-with-tonneau-covers

They also have a new option that may be pretty neat which hides the crossbars fully underneath the tonneau. I really like this if it’s easy to remove... I can see it being a pain though.

https://www.kbvoodoo.com/shop/xrxs-bed-cross-bars

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I’ve been thinking of a combo to do the same that would be easily removable when loading motorcycles in the bed and also lower than roof height so the truck can fit in the garage with a tent on the back.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet but the current leader is the KB Voodoo aluminum crossbars with quick release.

Would also allow you to mount a bike roof carrier to it if you choose or pull the bars when a bike goes in.

https://www.kbvoodoo.com/shop/jeep-gladiator-aluminum-hi-rise-crossbars-for-use-with-tonneau-covers

They also have a new option that may be pretty neat which hides the crossbars fully underneath the tonneau. I really like this if it’s easy to remove... I can see it being a pain though.

https://www.kbvoodoo.com/shop/xrxs-bed-cross-bars
I’d be careful with KB Voodo. One of the guys on here had a portion of his bed collapse due to the poor design. Then I think they refused to return his calls afterward.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canuck33

Canuck33

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d be careful with KB Voodo. One of the guys on here had a portion of his bed collapse due to the poor design. Then I think they refused to return his calls afterward.
Thanks. I'm look at the ACE Upper Decker and Rooftop mounts...that is interesting to me, but the weight is pretty significant.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I just put on a Leitner rack today. Was never my favorite but started to grow on me and seems to be designed right. Ace also makes goof stuff,

C5C5FD6F-48AB-4F93-BEED-5CEE2F235843.jpeg

17AB8A9B-137D-42B9-9367-163DEC7B91D3.jpeg

DoAWheelie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Curious about the bed collapse you noted here. Do you have a link to the post?

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic

KB Voodoo

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kbvoodoo.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT
We were in direct contact with this customer when the issue was brought to our attention. However, it was determined that the truck failed in this case and not our rack. We have sold thousands of bed racks/crossbars and have never seen a truck damaged like this due to one of our racks being installed on it. While some may not like that answer, we cannot control how people choose to use their vehicles and what type of stress they put on them.
Sponsored