First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Small pedantic detail, but...CB channel 4 is never reserved, it's just that a lot of off-road groups have standardized on that channel. It's very heavily used here. I've been to other places where people say "huh, what?" So it varies by location. Also in most places you might be lucky to get 7 miles or so with CB, less in heavy mountains with trees, more in open clear areas. So while it's great to be thinking about comms, don't have overly-high expectations.

Personally all of my wheeling friends have gone to VHF, and I haven't used my CB in years. The club still officially uses it, but in reality almost everyone has a GMRS or VHF now and we use those. I carry spares and lend them if needed.
Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I appreciate the advice. I may look into the VHF route what is the process?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
This is why I ask people who have been there and done it. I'm in Colorado. Not far from you. What do you recommend?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
There's no way for me to know what is commonly used in your area, and more importantly what is used by the people you want to wheel with. It really is going to be down to you going out with people and finding out what they are using. We do still have a lot of people using CB here, I just no longer wheel with them, so it doesn't matter to me, but might to you.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Thank you. I am going to look into the VHF process.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Gaia needs to be tossed into a lake of fire to languish for all eternity! Are you one of the majority of cell users in the US who runs Android, then Gaia is not for you. iOS only if you want integration with your head unit(CarPlay). No plans for Android Auto development. Sucks to pay for a 5 year membership before they tell you to eat s@#! and die. I won't forget though and best believe any thread I stumble across singing their praises will be invaded by my disdain. Go to he double hockey sticks Gaia, I spit upon thee! :swear:

That said, I've yet to find a viable alternative. :crying:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
You're going to see more and more of that. The disparity between the ability to make money and ease of development with iOS versus Android is growing more and more. The vast majority of Android users spend nearly zero, or zero money on apps. Most have $50 phones from Walmart. Android enjoys "majority" because it includes junk phones and people with no money to spend. There's also a problem with not having a cohesive ecosystem where everyone agrees to do things certain ways. "Apple is too restrictive" is a great thing when it comes to developing add-on products and making integrations.

Source: I do tech work for a company that does market research for two big phone vendors.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
OnX is not bad, we used it last month to screw around an area I'm unfamiliar with. Worth the money for a discounted year's subscription.

Android user here, though I support >500 iOS devices at work. My sweetie is an iOS person, as well.

Gaia needs to be tossed into a lake of fire to languish for all eternity! Are you one of the majority of cell users in the US who runs Android, then Gaia is not for you. iOS only if you want integration with your head unit(CarPlay). No plans for Android Auto development. Sucks to pay for a 5 year membership before they tell you to eat s@#! and die. I won't forget though and best believe any thread I stumble across singing their praises will be invaded by my disdain. Go to he double hockey sticks Gaia, I spit upon thee! :swear:

That said, I've yet to find a viable alternative. :crying:

nikoli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Will be trying out Gaia on Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro (i.e. Android) with a SIM card so we can use it anywhere with any vehicle and not be dependent on Android Auto. Also has Avenza maps, Google maps, camera apps for backup and security cameras, and media players for movies before bed or during bad weather when camping.
Sponsored