www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to the surging problems I am having in 4 low I also ran into issues trying to climb a steep mountain pass (Imogene). The Gladiator slowed down because the rpms were low. It was in 5th gear in 4 low. I tried to manually downshift the automatic but got a message saying that I could not shift gears or something like that. I put the shift lever back into full auto. Eventually after I nearly came to a stop it dropped to 4th gear and was able to very slowly build up speed again.

I have 5.13 gears. Used a Tazer to reprogram for my gears and tires. I did not have 4 wheel drive plus turned on and didn't think to try that at the time.

Any suggestions? Anyone else run into this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Strange, I've got nothing but maybe after someone else post here it will get someone's else's attention that has or something.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I had something like that happen with traction control on going up a hill-climb at Hungry Valley. I turned off traction control and did the climb again, no problem. Stupid computers!

It was a specific combination of a LONG climb on a looser surface, though it was no problem to stop on the hill and start again.

Firmware revisions are needed, that shouldn't have been a combination to cause an issue.

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I can probably work around it by getting into a lower gear ahead of time, but that doesn't change the idea that the transmission should be able to downshift on it's own. It is an automatic after all. Doesn't seem right that I would have to stop completely and try to downshift after it gets bogged down or slow down and get into a lower gear ahead of time.

Not the end of the world. Overall this thing performs amazingly well on the trails. I guess I'll just be aware of it ahead of time next time and see what I can do.

Econn2000

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
In addition to the surging problems I am having in 4 low I also ran into issues trying to climb a steep mountain pass (Imogene). The Gladiator slowed down because the rpms were low. It was in 5th gear in 4 low. I tried to manually downshift the automatic but got a message saying that I could not shift gears or something like that. I put the shift lever back into full auto. Eventually after I nearly came to a stop it dropped to 4th gear and was able to very slowly build up speed again.

I have 5.13 gears. Used a Tazer to reprogram for my gears and tires. I did not have 4 wheel drive plus turned on and didn't think to try that at the time.

Any suggestions? Anyone else run into this?
I'm having the exact same issue and have had to shift manually on the last couple of outings. I get lulled into a false sense that the issue has "taken care of itself" since it doesn't seem apparent on the road. The first couple of times it happened I just thought I was having a fuel or air problem, but then I noticed it was in way too high a gear for the situation. This weekend I'm going to unmarry my Tazer, replace my air and fuel filters, and clean my mass air sensor. I'll test drive it a few days and see if the problem has resolved before I remarry the Tazer. If it continues while unmarried, I'll suspect a TCM or other computer issue.

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the exact same issue and have had to shift manually on the last couple of outings. I get lulled into a false sense that the issue has "taken care of itself" since it doesn't seem apparent on the road. The first couple of times it happened I just thought I was having a fuel or air problem, but then I noticed it was in way too high a gear for the situation. This weekend I'm going to unmarry my Tazer, replace my air and fuel filters, and clean my mass air sensor. I'll test drive it a few days and see if the problem has resolved before I remarry the Tazer. If it continues while unmarried, I'll suspect a TCM or other computer issue.
The trouble on the steep inclines was driver error. I should have just downshifted manually and used off road +. I was on Imogene a few days ago and it worked perfectly that way.
Sponsored