Sponsored

Brand new member with towing question

jayvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Hello all! I am new (actually new today) looking at a used 2020 Gladiator Sport as a potential purchase. Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I am concerned with the towing capability of the one I am looking at. It has the trailer-tow package, not the MAX Tow package. I currently occasionally tow a Kawasaki side by side with a 2012 6 cyl Grand Cherokee and there is some downshifting during tows, like the Jeep is having a bit of a difficult time, but it gets the job done. The Kawasaki has a curb weight of 2000 lbs, the trailer is aluminum with a max capacity of 3500 lbs. I understand the Grand Cherokee has a towing capability of 5000 lbs and the Gladiator is only 4500. Do you think the Gladiator is going to struggle more so than the Grand Cherokee? As you can likely tell, I am not too experienced with this topic! Thanks in advance for any insight!
Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Well, to start, WELCOME :rock:

On to your question.

Your GC has an axle ratio of 3.45. The non-Max tow JT has 3.73. That'll help quite a bit. Also the non-max tow JTs have a typical tow rating between 6,000 and 7,000 lbs. with the 8 speed automatic transmission. Max tow takes it to ~7,500 because of wider D44 axles, 4.10 gearing, and heavier leaf springs.

If you are only reading 4,500 lbs towing, I'm pretty sure that is the tow rating with the 6 speed manual.

No sweat. It'll easily tow your trailer like it's not even back there (well, except for fuel economy :CWL: )