Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I would not do any of those trails in bad weather. I grew up in Chicago and dealt with midwestern snowstorms. So I consider myself a competent driver, but I avoid wheeling in rain and snow.
I stayed off Black Bear and Engineer due to sketchy weather and did Yankee Boy instead.

The Webster side of Red Cone was pretty washed out for sure.

Hit me up when you come out again. We have a group that goes pretty regular.

I guess it started sleeting when we were at the peak. My Gladiator was a bit heavy with all my gear to go home as we tacked this trail on. The 25% downslope after the peak caused us to slide every time we were moving. That second peak on the descent that you go over on the ridge was the scariest for me. There were parts that had eroded away and only a tire width to the edge. The switchback road wasn't bad except an area that had a slide and the trail was actually partially washed away. Getting across dipped very hard to the shelf side. Not a particularly far fall at that point but probably the most dangerous. Unfortunately my gopro died on the descent when you start the switchbacks. I hope to hit those two trails soon. My neighbor was out there and tried to do it 2 days later and they had to turn back before getting to the peak because of snow cover.
Sponsored

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Next time do mt antero, mt Princeton, wheeler lake carnage canyon and some others. Not carnage. That ones just stupid.. All will feel easy after red cone and holy cross but gorgeous none the less. Bonanza South towards Saguache is a cool group of old mines but very easy. That's a great part of the state. Schofield pass from Crested Butte to marbel is a fun one too, lead king basin is staggering if you can hit the wild flower blume....

Damn I want to go n this week....

OP
OP
fosgate

fosgate

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Next time do mt antero, mt Princeton, wheeler lake carnage canyon and some others. Not carnage. That ones just stupid.. All will feel easy after red cone and holy cross but gorgeous none the less. Bonanza South towards Saguache is a cool group of old mines but very easy. That's a great part of the state. Schofield pass from Crested Butte to marbel is a fun one too, lead king basin is staggering if you can hit the wild flower blume....

Damn I want to go n this week....
We did Chinaman Gulch that Carnage Canyon come off. I won't do that in my Jeep. My buddy won't do it in his but did it with a friend and they ended up winching all day long. We chose Red Cone instead of Mt. Antero because it was on our way home and my buddy had done Mt. Antero.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I love that area. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored