Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Lowering air pressure to around 20 psi and swaybar disconnects will make a HUGE impact.
Yup - for onlookers - Disconnecting the sway bar allows each front wheel to move up and down semi-independently. Otherwise, when one front wheel moves up, it wants to lift the other wheel, or the whole body failing that.
But be sure to reconnect back on the road! You'll have troubles otherwise.
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I would highly recommend getting a very good, portable compressor. You can find a lot of cheap tire inflaters that plug into a cigarette lighter. Unfortunately, those won't last. And the last thing you want is for your compressor to start belching fire when you need to air up for pavement.

I recently bought a single piston ARB compressor. It wasn't cheap, but it works really well, it's mounted in a nice carry case and it came with a good hose and a fitting for a Schrader valve. ARB also makes a dual piston compressor which is of course a lot faster, but also a lot more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMP12-P...t=&hvlocphy=9029029&hvtargid=pla-490738717419

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would highly recommend getting a very good, portable compressor. You can find a lot of cheap tire inflaters that plug into a cigarette lighter. Unfortunately, those won't last. And the last thing you want is for your compressor to start belching fire when you need to air up for pavement.

I recently bought a single piston ARB compressor. It wasn't cheap, but it works really well, it's mounted in a nice carry case and it came with a good hose and a fitting for a Schrader valve. ARB also makes a dual piston compressor which is of course a lot faster, but also a lot more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMP12-P...t=&hvlocphy=9029029&hvtargid=pla-490738717419
Do watch those cheap portables. Like Klutch said - you get what you pay for. I've had those cheaper compressors apart for repairs (Dad had a couple in his garage - I wondered why he had them, still in the box)
In one case the cooling fan for the compressor was plastic and the hub broke out of it leaving the thing running HOT and stopping.
The other had some other issues inside - boy are those things cheaply made.
I figured out why my father had them - he worked at a store that sold such things and when customers brought stuff back defective, the store simply tossed it. He took some things home thinking he might "eventually fix that one of these days". Two of the same type, both still in boxes, both not working.
I figure I can give up some time to save the money - no more often than I'd ever need such a thing - single piston would work for me if I ever decided to buy a compressor.
One has to decide - how fast does one want or need to air up again, can you take the time to wait a bit, or do you want to air up in a couple of minutes and be out of there? How often would you use it? And decide on size and so on. But avoid the discount store inexpensive emergency type inflators..........
Sponsored