First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Was taking the JT to pick up a couple of pieces of furniture about 2 hours away from me. I got 15 miles down the road and noticed some sluggishness in 5th at 60mph so I downshifted to 4th thinking no big deal, fairly normal to have to do up an incline. Then I noticed a bit of roughness so my first inclination was crap, the clutch is screwing up. Then I get the flashing check engine light along with an audible dinging. I immediately pull over, luckily I was passing through a town and it happened in sight of an O'Reilys.

I sat there and let it idle for a minute and noticed a significant rough idle. Increased the revs and it continued to run pretty rough so I killed it. Got the O'Riley folks to run a code scan and it came back cylinder 6 misfire (should've asked for the code number but it had 3 code entries and they all read cylinder 6 misfire).

They had a spark plug and a coil pack in stock so I swapped them out in the parking lot hoping that would fix it enough for me to get home and get it checked out by the shop. No dice. I called a friend to come get us and left it there overnight. Having it towed to the dealer in the morning. First time I've ever bought a brand new vehicle and the first time one has ever left me stranded.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Was taking the JT to pick up a couple of pieces of furniture about 2 hours away from me. I got 15 miles down the road and noticed some sluggishness in 5th at 60mph so I downshifted to 4th thinking no big deal, fairly normal to have to do up an incline. Then I noticed a bit of roughness so my first inclination was crap, the clutch is screwing up. Then I get the flashing check engine light along with an audible dinging. I immediately pull over, luckily I was passing through a town and it happened in sight of an O'Reilys.

I sat there and let it idle for a minute and noticed a significant rough idle. Increased the revs and it continued to run pretty rough so I killed it. Got the O'Riley folks to run a code scan and it came back cylinder 6 misfire (should've asked for the code number but it had 3 code entries and they all read cylinder 6 misfire).

They had a spark plug and a coil pack in stock so I swapped them out in the parking lot hoping that would fix it enough for me to get home and get it checked out by the shop. No dice. I called a friend to come get us and left it there overnight. Having it towed to the dealer in the morning. First time I've ever bought a brand new vehicle and the first time one has ever left me stranded.
So apparently all they can do is read codes, and not capture any other information?
The ECU will state what the misfire cause is - such as ignition and so on. Misfires can be injectors, valves, lash adjuster, cam, ignition as in plug, coil, and more.