DIY Rear Underseat Locking

georamorim

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Rubicon
I was looking to upgrade my underseat storage to the Mopar lockable storage but I wasn't interested in paying the premium dollars. I found an aftermarket box that also commanded clams I didn't want to give up. I searched the forum and found the perfect solution by user @jonaandcaleb where they posted "Locking Storage under the rear seats with base plastic divider. Less than $20"

This solution gives you a lot more usable storage than the Mopar lockable storage and because it locks the seat down it also keeps your bolt storage locked up. Bonus.

The install is relatively easy and looks stock. Jonaandcaleb did a great job with the step by step instructions. Yes, with determination a thief could bust it open but that same thief can also unclip a couple of hood latches.

And yes, it was under $20 CDN. That's like $1.45 US

20210629_175856.jpg

20210629_181205.jpg

20210629_181243.jpg
Sponsored

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
That’s cool, but can’t you lock the seat down already by putting your key in the slot by the headrest?

joekely

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
RN
Looking at doing something similar. How have you found security is with those pin locks? I know you mention someone can still get in, but do you feel they are strong enough to deter the convenience thief?

Sponsored

OP
OP
georamorim

georamorim

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Rubicon
Looking at doing something similar. How have you found security is with those pin locks? I know you mention someone can still get in, but do you feel they are strong enough to deter the convenience thief?
Yes, for the thief who is looking for a quick smash and grab it is definitely a deterrent. The pin locks are pretty strong and having the other pieces bolted into seat frame makes it tough to get in. A crowbar would make an easier job of breaking in but at that point the plastic storage compartment becomes the weak link.

joekely

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
RN
Ended up going a different route but used your work as a base. I ended up using a pair of locking hood latches (partly for the look that comes with it). I still will play around to try and make it look more stock but not bad. Thanks for your posts that helped ne with the fabrication!
Jeep Gladiator DIY Rear Underseat Locking 8C10AF56-96DE-4C0B-B5C8-EEF2AFCA7ECA

3E029CE3-77FB-4209-A773-0BBC5A4BACE3.jpeg

21C2AE1E-1593-4136-B80F-4EBA85EE52A2.jpeg

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I was looking to upgrade my underseat storage to the Mopar lockable storage but I wasn't interested in paying the premium dollars. I found an aftermarket box that also commanded clams I didn't want to give up. I searched the forum and found the perfect solution by user @jonaandcaleb where they posted "Locking Storage under the rear seats with base plastic divider. Less than $20"

This solution gives you a lot more usable storage than the Mopar lockable storage and because it locks the seat down it also keeps your bolt storage locked up. Bonus.

The install is relatively easy and looks stock. Jonaandcaleb did a great job with the step by step instructions. Yes, with determination a thief could bust it open but that same thief can also unclip a couple of hood latches.

And yes, it was under $20 CDN. That's like $1.45 US

Jeep Gladiator DIY Rear Underseat Locking 21C2AE1E-1593-4136-B80F-4EBA85EE52A2

I seriously considered this solution, but, me being me, the first thing I’d do would be pierce my scalp with the locking tab, so I decided to pass.

Kevin

OP
OP
georamorim

georamorim

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Rubicon
I had that concern as well and made sure to round all edges. So far I've been lucky and no stitches yet.
Sponsored