First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Pilot
I have the Linx installed on a 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I also have a new Elements fridge/freezer installed with the Bluetooth module which runs from a second battery in my Genesis dual battery setup. I can turn my fridge on and it will always stay on (i.e. not being disconnected from the battery and will be at 14.6V while driving). So, no issues with power to fridge and from the fridge screen itself, it will be powered on and working.

My issue is, the Bluetooth disconnects and connects from the Linx module non stop. I can go for a 20 minute drive and it’ll connect and disconnect every 5-6 minutes. Hour long trip, it can happen 15+ times. When on the fridge page for the Linx, the fridge will be connected and have full control (lock/unlock, change temp, etc) and then my Linx phone will make a “ding” noise and the fridge page on the Linx will show fridge is disconnected. Then 5-6 minutes later it’ll connect and be working again, then maybe 5-6 minutes later it’ll connect and this happens the entirety of the time the vehicle is running (all while the volts remain at 14.6). And when the fridge disconnects from the Linx via bluetooth, the fridge will still be on and working. Also, if I have the Linx handset in hand at the fridge, it’ll still happen, so it can’t be the Bluetooth struggling to make the connection from the bed to the cab (I presume).

What could be the cause of this constant connecting/disconnecting of the fridge Bluetooth module to the Linx? (And I’ve checked the connection of the Bluetooth module plugged into the fridge and its connected properly).

(I’ve already emailed ARB technical support and am waiting to hear back, hoping to get a quick response from the forums)
Sponsored

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
I have the Linx installed on a 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I also have a new Elements fridge/freezer installed with the Bluetooth module which runs from a second battery in my Genesis dual battery setup. I can turn my fridge on and it will always stay on (i.e. not being disconnected from the battery and will be at 14.6V while driving). So, no issues with power to fridge and from the fridge screen itself, it will be powered on and working.

My issue is, the Bluetooth disconnects and connects from the Linx module non stop. I can go for a 20 minute drive and it’ll connect and disconnect every 5-6 minutes. Hour long trip, it can happen 15+ times. When on the fridge page for the Linx, the fridge will be connected and have full control (lock/unlock, change temp, etc) and then my Linx phone will make a “ding” noise and the fridge page on the Linx will show fridge is disconnected. Then 5-6 minutes later it’ll connect and be working again, then maybe 5-6 minutes later it’ll connect and this happens the entirety of the time the vehicle is running (all while the volts remain at 14.6). And when the fridge disconnects from the Linx via bluetooth, the fridge will still be on and working. Also, if I have the Linx handset in hand at the fridge, it’ll still happen, so it can’t be the Bluetooth struggling to make the connection from the bed to the cab (I presume).

What could be the cause of this constant connecting/disconnecting of the fridge Bluetooth module to the Linx? (And I’ve checked the connection of the Bluetooth module plugged into the fridge and its connected properly).

(I’ve already emailed ARB technical support and am waiting to hear back, hoping to get a quick response from the forums)
Are you also connecting the LINX handheld to the the LINX box or via the USB cable?

dbongard

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landcruiser Prado
Hi Matt,
The fact that it disconnects when you are next to the fridge would seem to rule out reception based issues. I would have a look at the coms module. Is the coms to fridge plug loose, or did the ribbon wire inside the module get pulled and damaged during installation?
As you suggested, losing coms while driving will have no effect on your fridge. You just lose the LINX control of it. But there's no reason that it shouldn't just be 100% connected.

OP
OP

w113msh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Pilot
Are you also connecting the LINX handheld to the the LINX box or via the USB cable?
When I’m the vehicle it is connected via USB. When testing the Bluetooth range to ensure it’s not intermittent connection from the distance it is unplugged and next to the fridge.

OP
OP

w113msh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Pilot
Hi Matt,
The fact that it disconnects when you are next to the fridge would seem to rule out reception based issues. I would have a look at the coms module. Is the coms to fridge plug loose, or did the ribbon wire inside the module get pulled and damaged during installation?
As you suggested, losing coms while driving will have no effect on your fridge. You just lose the LINX control of it. But there's no reason that it shouldn't just be 100% connected.
I’ve double checked the Bluetooth module. Uninstalled, inspected, and reinstalled and no issue.
Also, when it does disconnected if I cut the power to the fridge and then give power back, the fridge immediately when given power back, the Linx gets its signal again from the Bluetooth module.
I’m at a standstill on troubleshooting.
(and this has been the issue since day one of installing theBluetooth module, going on nearly 3 months now)

Sponsored

dbongard

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landcruiser Prado
I’ve double checked the Bluetooth module. Uninstalled, inspected, and reinstalled and no issue.
Also, when it does disconnected if I cut the power to the fridge and then give power back, the fridge immediately when given power back, the Linx gets its signal again from the Bluetooth module.
I’m at a standstill on troubleshooting.
(and this has been the issue since day one of installing theBluetooth module, going on nearly 3 months now)
Sounds like it might be worth contacting ARB.
Do you have another fridge that you could test your module on?
Or another module that you could test on your fridge?

OP
OP

w113msh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Pilot
Unfortunately only fridge I have and know no one with one to test my module on. Hesitant to buy another module before hearing back from ARB. I emailed them the other night, still waiting for response.

OP
OP

w113msh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Pilot
*Update*

ARB is sending me a replacement Bluetooth module. Once received, installed, and tried, I’ll follow up with results.

And side note, this is why imo I am such a fan of ARB for their customer service (I had called and spoke to them before a half a dozen times a day for a couple days in a row when installing my Linx system and they were friendly and helpful then as they are now)

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
*Update*

ARB is sending me a replacement Bluetooth module. Once received, installed, and tried, I’ll follow up with results.

And side note, this is why imo I am such a fan of ARB for their customer service (I had called and spoke to them before a half a dozen times a day for a couple days in a row when installing my Linx system and they were friendly and helpful then as they are now)
Sounds about right. ARB stands behind their product and have a fully staffed technical department in Auburn, WA. So you will always get technical support.

Sponsored

OP
OP

w113msh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Pilot
Following up with solution.

The issue was a connectivity issue with the distance from the Bluetooth module to the Linx unit in the cab of the Gladiator. From the bed of the truck to the cab doesn’t seem like a long distance for Bluetooth, but it was. I routed a RP-SMA cable from the Bluetooth module through the bed, up through the passenger floorboard and behind the dash where I attached the antenna to that end. Now the antenna is only a few inches under the dash from the Linx display. A week of driving and not one connectivity issue.

dbongard

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landcruiser Prado
Following up with solution.

The issue was a connectivity issue with the distance from the Bluetooth module to the Linx unit in the cab of the Gladiator. From the bed of the truck to the cab doesn’t seem like a long distance for Bluetooth, but it was. I routed a RP-SMA cable from the Bluetooth module through the bed, up through the passenger floorboard and behind the dash where I attached the antenna to that end. Now the antenna is only a few inches under the dash from the Linx display. A week of driving and not one connectivity issue.
Unfortunately sheet metal and steel mesh are the sworn enemies of all things wireless, but you did exactly what I would have done to get the most reliable connection (i.e., relocate the antenna so there is no metal standing between it and the receiver).
Sponsored