Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
9 RWHP and 10# of torque at 3k rpms for $350 … not too shabby
While you're believing in fairy tales, I hope the Eater Bunny brings you a full basket of candy this year.;)

Libis22

First Name
Libin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
Occupation
Software Developer
I would put a LS with Tremec transmission in gladiator, then probably the limiting factor should be aerodynamics. Shit, should I buy a Camaro make that off road capable? decisions, decisions... 😃

Jokes aside, whoever is trying to get a V8 in a Gladi should seriously consider 392 JL before it goes away for good!

Libis22

First Name
Libin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
Occupation
Software Developer
9 RWHP and 10# of torque at 3k rpms for $350 … not too shabby
I have a drop in K&N on my 6MT and I like how it drives after. No clue or don't care about numbers but I like how it feel.. I might swap for paper if I ever go to dusty trails.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Don't wait for dusty trails.........

K&N passed more dirt over time. The top of the bar is the time, the dark zone is how much dirt passed in that amount of time. It was quick to reach "full" or getting to a restriction point while at the same time passing more dust.

Jeep Gladiator Future Gladiator Mojave owner total-dirt-passed-2

This is similar - shows the total amount of dust that passed through before the filter reached its saturation point. meaning - they pass a lot of dust, but plug up quickly vs. other filters which will last longer under really dusty conditions while passing a lot less dust and dirt.

Jeep Gladiator Future Gladiator Mojave owner total-dirt-passed

The above were not "flour dust" or home brew tests in someone's garage or shop. They were tests under standard conditions, ISO tests, performed under strict measured conditions.

In short - the K&N is wide open to flow more air off the line, but very quickly reaches a point where it's passing less air, passing more dirt in the process.
Testing showing any better flow is only with brand new filters - after an extremely short time they are actually restrictive (if they were cleaned and oiled properly to begin with)
I could say it sort of like this - if you used a K&N for racing performance, you'd want to wash and treat it after only a handful of runs, and hope the air around the track is clean of dust.

I have others, but people prefer to see marketing materials, youtube crap tests, bogus numbers and so on vs. scientific testing under controlled conditions making things fair to all filters being tested.
Do what you want, but no K&N filter will EVER touch anything I care about.
There's no gain unless you run very high RPM and race these things, and that gain is lost really fast all while passing more dirt.

"Oh but I can wash and reuse it" - you'd better do that very frequently, then - because they have a very very low capacity for accumulating dirt -

Jeep Gladiator Future Gladiator Mojave owner ISO5011_accumulative-capacity

For efficiency - they are pretty much dead last -

Jeep Gladiator Future Gladiator Mojave owner ISO5011-efficiency

Chainstretcher

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Automated Machine Mechanic
While you're believing in fairy tales, I hope the Eater Bunny brings you a full basket of candy this year.;)
Glad to see cognitive bias is alive and well 👍

K&N when tested using SAE standards flow more air and filter at 99%

There’s a cool video of a CAI (not K&N) and aftermarket exhausts being tested. With 37s the CAI dropped 0-60 times consistently. With the short exhaust and CAI the 0-60 dropped even more (they went with the longer exhaust because noise).

Dyno runs attest to the power gains. My turbo Hayabusa made gains with K&N cone with torque advantages starting at 3500 rpms. This is all I care about … making better power as soon as possible.

Of course HP increase was mostly near redline. But then that’s the same as stock — HP is made in the high range so the argument about HP being only found when “racing” at high rpm’s is odd to me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to see cognitive bias is alive and well 👍

K&N when tested using SAE standards flow more air and filter at 99%

There’s a cool video of a CAI (not K&N) and aftermarket exhausts being tested. With 37s the CAI dropped 0-60 times consistently. With the short exhaust and CAI the 0-60 dropped even more (they went with the longer exhaust because noise).

Dyno runs attest to the power gains. My turbo Hayabusa made gains with K&N cone with torque advantages starting at 3500 rpms. This is all I care about … making better power as soon as possible.

Of course HP increase was mostly near redline. But then that’s the same as stock — HP is made in the high range so the argument about HP being only found when “racing” at high rpm’s is odd to me.
LOL - comparing 0-60 times with daily driving or even off-road use of a Jeep. Funny.

Do testing on a 3.6 in a Jeep with ordinary driving conditions, even towing, and getting up into the 3,000 RPM ranges - I'd bet on no changes.
Turbo vs. NA engine? Who's comparing apples to plywood now? That's a whole different vehicle, different engine, different everything.

We are talking a naturally aspirated Jeep 3.6 which spends most of its life in low-lift intake mode, and RPM under 4,000 or so.

So who is testing the K&N filters- the company themselves?

I watched a video of such filters being tested on a Ford truck - nothing until they hit about 5,000 RPM, then it was a mild gain.
How much time does your JEEP 3.6 spend at RPM in that area?

In my charts - K&N filtered at under 97% while several others kicked their butt. And - those others had more capacity, meaning they'll hold a lot more dirt before becoming restrictive - K&N drops like a rock pretty quickly.

Chainstretcher

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Automated Machine Mechanic
LOL - comparing 0-60 times with daily driving or even off-road use of a Jeep. Funny.

Do testing on a 3.6 in a Jeep with ordinary driving conditions, even towing, and getting up into the 3,000 RPM ranges - I'd bet on no changes.
Turbo vs. NA engine? Who's comparing apples to plywood now? That's a whole different vehicle, different engine, different everything.

We are talking a naturally aspirated Jeep 3.6 which spends most of its life in low-lift intake mode, and RPM under 4,000 or so.

So who is testing the K&N filters- the company themselves?

I watched a video of such filters being tested on a Ford truck - nothing until they hit about 5,000 RPM, then it was a mild gain.
How much time does your JEEP 3.6 spend at RPM in that area?

In my charts - K&N filtered at under 97% while several others kicked their butt. And - those others had more capacity, meaning they'll hold a lot more dirt before becoming restrictive - K&N drops like a rock pretty quickly.
Your charts? You do your own testing? Interesting.

Still, 0-60 is an absolute test of power from low to high rpm.

K&N are like Nickelback … everyone loved them until they didn’t 😂
Sponsored