Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler Rubicon, JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Overlander
Hi All,

We've been out exploring the Flinders Ranges for the last week.
This wilderness National Park has hiking, 4x4ing, aboriginal rock art, tons of wildlife and absolutely stunning Rocky Mountains, canyons and dry river beds to explore.

It's starting to feel like we're getting "Australia remote" now!

-Dan
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi All,

Australia has been experiencing unprecedented rainfall, which is causing massive flooding in many parts of the country.
Tens of thousands of homes have been lost.

Even in the desert there is way more rain than usual, and we got stranded for days waiting for one of the famous outback tracks to open.

I fully expected the Oodnadatta Track to be hot, dry and dusty - and I was utterly wrong!

We went out the minute the road opened and found plenty of slippery mud pits to keep us busy, springs, friends and plenty more.

Less than 24 hours later they closed the road again because it was too bad.

Checkout the latest video over on YouTube to see all the fun.

I knew Australia would be an adventure, but as usual it is not the adventure I bargained for!

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi Everyone,

We're very close to the red center of Australia now, and we set off on a little adventure into the Finke River Gorge.
The Finke is known as the oldest river on earth, and the scenery absolutely did not dissapoint!

We also teamed up with Matt in his diesel Ford Maverick (a re-badged Nissan Patrol), cook on the fire, sample Kangaroo tail and a whole lot more!

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi Everyone,

I think it's safe to say no visit to Australia would be complete without exploring the mighty Red Center.

Smack in the middle of the continent there is so much to see and do from the mighty Uluru (Ayres Rock) to Kings Canyon, Palm Valley, swimming in stunning gorges, eating local delicacies and so, so much more!

Jump aboard the latest video as I show you around a place I've dreamed of visiting for my entire life.

After seeing thosuands and thousands of photos of these places over my lifetime they still managed to completely blow me away.

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi Everyone,

Exploring the remote corners of the planet has always appealed to me, so crossing the mighty Simpson Desert has been on my radar for many years.

The crossing involves crossing more than 1,300 sand dunes through 733km (460 miles) of deep sand and you won't see a soul for seven days.
Obviously there is a lot to think about to make a safe crossing - in fact I planned and prepared for months to make it happen.

From fuel and drinking water to safety equipment, permits, food, tires, emergency prep and more, I run through all the preparation that went into this massive desert crossing in my latest video.

If you've ever dreamed of getting *extremely* remote in your Overland travels, this one is for you.

-Dan

Sponsored

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
Dan, I’ve really enjoyed following your adventure. I watch you religiously on YouTube. Keep living the dream and stay safe man!

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi Everyone,

I have dreamed of crossing the Simpson Desert for most of my life, and after months of planning and preparation it absolutely did not disappoint!

We spent 7 days crossing more than 1,300 bright red sand dunes, and didn't see a soul the entire time.

Not everything went to plan, though of course the adventure begins when things go wrong!

-Dan

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
Dan, I can’t believe you and Katie crossed the desert sick with Covid! Glad you guys are ok and the trip looked awesome. On The complete opposite side of the coin (and the world) I got it about the same time you did and was stuck at home on quarantine from work. I guess you guys were ”quarantined“ in the desert…………

The trip looked absolutely beautiful. Your landscape and drone shots do a good job of capturing the amazing views.

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Dan, I can’t believe you and Katie crossed the desert sick with Covid! Glad you guys are ok and the trip looked awesome. On The complete opposite side of the coin (and the world) I got it about the same time you did and was stuck at home on quarantine from work. I guess you guys were ”quarantined“ in the desert…………

The trip looked absolutely beautiful. Your landscape and drone shots do a good job of capturing the amazing views.
It was unexpected for sure.
I can't think of a better place to isolate for the mandatory 7 days tho!

I hope you feel better - it's still hanging on for me, but I'm back to about 98%.

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi Everyone,

The final challenge crossing the Simpson Desert is "Big Red" - the largest (or at least most iconic) red sand dune of the seven day crossing.

There are multiple different lines to choose from, and of course I took the hardest (steepest) one.

In manual mode, low range, I approached with good speed and just bumped down a gear every time I felt the jeep slowing.
With the tires at 12psi the Jeep was unstoppable, and I actually backed off long before reaching the top.
I did multiple passes and it was always not a problem.

Part II of our Simpson Desert crossing is live now on YouTube!

-Dan

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi Everyone,

I came to Australia to spend time with my family on adventure, and that is exactly what I've been doing!
Katie and I drove clear across to the East Coast, and we've been hanging out with my uncles and aunties in beach paradise.

My Uncle Ron has had a huge influence on my life, and I'm so happy we just spent a couple of weeks together. Ron is an outdoorsy guy who loves fishing, hunting, camping and getting to wild and remote places, so it's safe to say he was always an inspiration for me, and some of my earliest memories of outdoor adventure include Uncle Ron.

He's been fishing right off the beach for shark since he was a teenager, and over the years he has become exceedingly good at it.
In the latest episode of The Road Chose Me I bring you along to show exactly what it's like to fish from the beach down under, and we pull in a toothy beast right off the sand where people were surfing!!

While Overlanding is often called "Vehicle Based Adventure Travel", I like to showcase the adventures we get up to outside the vehicle - after all, those are the very reason we drove to these remote places!

Jump over to YouTube to see all the action:

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi All,

I always knew Fraser Island / K'Gari National Park would be a top 10 highlight of Australia, and it absolutely did not disappoint!

This is the world's largest sand island, and together with my uncle Ron we spent ten days exploring all over, taking in the sights.
We swam in the crystal clear water, had dingoes in camp, got Ron's Hilux stuck in the sand, raced the tides and a whole lot more!
We also tackled one of Australia's most iconic 4x4 obsticles - N'gala rocks and the steep soft sand climb it requires.

All the adventure is in the latest video:

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi all,

For our latest adventure we set out to explore a remote island off the coast of Tropical Northern Australia.
This National Park wilderness is packed with stunning beaches, waterfalls, river crossings and we even had a tropical rain storm.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the crocodiles.

I'm no expert, and the only thing I really know about them is that I don't like them. Now we're in the far North of Australia, crocs will be a regular thing we have to deal with.

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi Everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I asked for questions across social media, and now it's time to answer them all.

Join Katie and I as we run through your questions about the Australia expedition, the Jeep, ourselves, and a whole lot more!

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi All,

As I move around Australia I'm seeing a TON of well-built Overland vehicles, but none come close to this one.
Ruth and Tony spent two years driving around Africa on the same route as me in their Defender 130.
We camped together in Egypt at what would be the final wild camp in all of Africa for us, and waved farewell.
They've been in Australia all this time earning money and saving pennies, and in two weeks they're shipping their Defender BACK to Africa for another two year adventure.
Yes, they loved it that much.

This vehicle is so iconic, and I just love the adventures that it enables, and Ruth and Tony's passion to get out there and have adventures on a massive scale.
In my latest video I tour this unreal Defender, and talk about the incredible adventures they have.

-Dan
Sponsored