Sponsored

Johnny3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellcat JTR, 2000 TJ
Hadn't seen this thread until today.... story to share.

Back in late 2020 I was almost 5 years into ownership of my 2016 JKUR AEV JK350. Notable difference between a factory Rubicon and the AEV is a much larger, much heavier steel bumper.

The road I was on was 4 lanes wide... two on each side. It was a main downtown route with a speed limit of 35mph. I was driving along, in the left lane when an uber driver in a Hyundai decided to pull an illegal u-turn right into me, from the right lane. He was well ahead of me when he started and my 35s locked up. I hit him square on the b-pillar, deploying all his drivers side, side airbags. His car was completely totaled.

My damage was noticeable, but the steel bumper saved me. The hit was off center for me so the airbags didn't go off. My car, was later declared a total loss due to a bent frame. But it held up in the accident so well I was able to drive it home (on the highway no less), about 5 miles.

Totaled the other guy, drove away. Full body on frame and steel bumpers make a massive difference. I now drive a 2020 Gladiator; love it.
Sponsored