Gladiator vs 2021 Ram Dakota

Jhoude19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT & 1998 Jeep XJ
So with all these vs. posts. most of them in my opinion are not real comparisons. ie: gladiator vs. f150.. gladiator vs. superduty…the gladiator is in it own class and considered a "midsize" pickup. With the announcement that Ram is bringing back the Dakota, that will be a real contender for the JT. Granted the Dakota will be missing some key features that the Jt has. (removable top, doors, etc, pretty much the features that make a wrangler a wrangler).. the Dakota will be sharing the same frame, rear end, and motor as the Gladiator with a rumored 4 cylinder option as well, but Fiat will be ditching the robust solid axle up front for a more comfortable riding IFS.. with a lot of "pick and choose" options to adjust to everyone's budget. since the Dakota will be sharing the same bones as the JT, makes me think it will be a popular candidate for a solid axle swap. and possibly giving Toyota a run for their money as they typically are the go to choice for off-roaders/overlanders looking for a midsize pickup. the Dakota is also rumored to start at a much lower price then the Gladiator coming in around the mid $20,000s. but supposedly it may be lacking on interior design which would reflect the cheaper price point. so my final thoughts is, will the Dakota actually compete with the JT? no. again I feel like the gladiator is in its own class. will it compete with Toyota, ford, etc.. yes I think based on the performance of the JT platform, the Dakota will be a decent choice to consider. Will Ram finally enter the modern age of off-road enthusiasts and overlanders? from everything ive read and heard they are not marking this truck as a "off-road" vehicle. but I still think it might be something to look out for.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've seen rumors of the Dakota coming back, but the insiders at Allpar say it won't ever happen.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I was just reading a MT article from May, which quoted Manley saying that Ram is focused on a mid size.

He says that the problem has been "a cost-effective platform in a region where we can build it with low cost and it still being applicable in the market."

That reads like it wouldn't be JT based, and that they've been looking at platforms available in other countries, but haven't found one to fit the NA market.

He does say that he wants the problem solved because it's a "clear hole in our portfolio."

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
It sounds like they're kinda winging it like Ford did with the Ranger. Turned out chincy and kinda crappy. Hopefully if they do it, they make it right.
Sponsored