Halogen to led

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
I want to replace my halogen lights with the mopar led lights. My plan is to do one type of light at a time. Fogs, followed by turn signals, followed by head lights, finally tail lights. Two questions is it okay to have some led and some halogen? Is there anyway to avoid paying the dealer flashing 4 times? Can I do the flash myself instead of spending $60x4?
Sponsored

Texas_Gladiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1998 Wrangler
As Mr Bill mentioned, get yourself a Tazer (I went with the TazerJL mini). They are very handy for changing things like LED's, tire size, etc.

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Dumb question....open to insults...bring it on. haha I have a tazer mini jl already and i'm getting ready to make some changes for the larger tires i just installed. I know the mini can flash for LED swaps.....but my question is-WHY!? haha. What exactly do we need to change in the computer just to replace bulbs for LEDS? I know about hyperflash situations with blinkers, but what needs to be changed for simple bulbs like headlights and tail lights?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Dumb question....open to insults...bring it on. haha I have a tazer mini jl already and i'm getting ready to make some changes for the larger tires i just installed. I know the mini can flash for LED swaps.....but my question is-WHY!? haha. What exactly do we need to change in the computer just to replace bulbs for LEDS? I know about hyperflash situations with blinkers, but what needs to be changed for simple bulbs like headlights and tail lights?
It has to do with load resistance and electrical draw, and the system that detects burned out bulbs (like fast blinker flashing). There's also a lot of sensors in the system that behave differently with different types of bulbs. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it's a basic explanation of why the adjustments are needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
As Mr Bill mentioned, get yourself a Tazer (I went with the TazerJL mini). They are very handy for changing things like LED's, tire size, etc.
Got the tazer lite....only thing I worry about now is that I didn’t see fogs to led listed on the light or mini options....all the other lights were but not the fogs. Hoping it’s just an over site in the list when it was made and it’s actually in the options of the tazer

Lex Low

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2020 JTR
Occupation
Film Editor
Sorry for hijacking the thread but it along the same line of questioning. About to purchase an OEM steel bumper with the LED lights still on them. I ain't have the LED package. Will these be plug and play aside from the flash or do I need anything else?

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Sorry for hijacking the thread but it along the same line of questioning. About to purchase an OEM steel bumper with the LED lights still on them. I ain't have the LED package. Will these be plug and play aside from the flash or do I need anything else?
Yeah should just be a flash or tazer. I have heard some people say they didn’t need to flash but directions on the install say flash required...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It has to do with load resistance and electrical draw, and the system that detects burned out bulbs (like fast blinker flashing). There's also a lot of sensors in the system that behave differently with different types of bulbs. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it's a basic explanation of why the adjustments are needed.
For the controller area network, or CAN bus system, part of the OBD-II, CAN is one of several protocols - the sensors for lights out, load for flashers and more. Best to let the "system" the lights are on know what's there.

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just did the swap about two weeks ago and have had zero issues. I did switch the headligh to LED's
I just did the swap about two weeks ago. No issues. I did switch the bulbs in the headlights with the Oracle LED Bulb Headlight Conversion Kit so the colors matched.

Sponsored

Pgleichert

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Do they make an adapter that can plug into the halogen plug on the jeep to the LED plug in the bumper so you don’t have to flash?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Do they make an adapter that can plug into the halogen plug on the jeep to the LED plug in the bumper so you don’t have to flash?
It's not a flash - people keep calling it that but noting gets flashed. It's a settings change in the BCM telling it what it has.

The only "adapter" would be the bulb itself. Likely built-in resistors.
Sponsored