Hardtop getting Quieter

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Ecodiesel
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
Went for it. Wind noise was bothering me at times. Also ordered the CoverKing carpet headliner. Rather simple to install. Sticks really well. Kilmat 80 mil and grooved rollers. The Kilmat sheets are not uniform. Print runs both ways so getting the overlap seams to cover really isn’t possible. Other that that looks goooood. Installed in garage that was 60° and -10 outside. Tried with and without heat gun. Heat made it floppy and not easy to work with. Warmed it up after install and pressed it in. Worked much better. Kept it away from latches so carpet installs easy. Last pic is what I had for tools. Wife’s scissors😆, shhhhh. And the waste is from the drivers side panel.

8F40A84D-9729-4625-9822-AF07E60AE824.jpeg

9005368F-7072-41AE-9931-FA263190B051.jpeg

C1BAC61A-BE4A-4AF3-A9FE-C087E35C7E36.jpeg

F71D1748-4BCC-4CC4-ABDE-60C2F95C10BD.jpeg
Sponsored

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
Have you had it out yet. Do you notice a noise difference?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a full sound deadener install in my Gladiator. It did make a difference.

Though the bulk of the wind noise that I can detect seems to be coming from the front edge of the gutters.

I keep hoping I'll find a ratty set of freedom panels I can cut the gutters off of to experiment with.

OP
OP
DQQSE

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
Have you had it out yet. Do you notice a noise difference?
Yea for sure. Had it out on hwy at 80 mph with only drivers side done. It was -4 outside. Hollow echo was gone. Hear people talk much better. Wind noise on front edge is still there. After doing passenger panel it was more gooder. Hope when back half comes off tomorrow it tones down more. Still have carpet coming which is suppose to be shipping… suppose to be 🙄

OP
OP
DQQSE

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
I have a full sound deadener install in my Gladiator. It did make a difference.

Though the bulk of the wind noise that I can detect seems to be coming from the front edge of the gutters.

I keep hoping I'll find a ratty set of freedom panels I can cut the gutters off of to experiment with.
That leading edge is noticeable. Especially running into head wind. I’d like too check if anyone ever packed the front roll bar full of sound foam. Is the windshield surround hollow too? Gotta keep putzin’

Sponsored

OP
OP
DQQSE

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
Got the rest of the hardtop done, but hit a snag. The Hard Top Headiner from CoverKing I order was canceled by Realtruck. Called them, they said they’re backordered. Ok then, Called CoverKing. Christine in customer service said “black is available with about a 2 week lead time. All other colors are on hold because they cannot source colored material. So like Henry Ford said a millennia ago, “ You can have any color you like, as long as it’s black.”

OP
OP
DQQSE

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
Got the rest of the hardtop done, but hit a snag. The Hard Top Headiner from CoverKing I order was canceled by Realtruck. Called them, they said they’re backordered. Ok then, Called CoverKing. Christine in customer service said “black is available with about a 2 week lead time. All other colors are on hold because they cannot source colored material. So like Henry Ford said a millennia ago, “ You can have any color you like, as long as it’s black.”
Whoops forgot

2C8A5447-83F2-4FD6-BE34-CECB6E01856B.jpeg

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
The Kilmat sheets are not uniform. Print runs both ways so getting the overlap seams to cover really isn’t possible.
what did you mean by this?

OP
OP
DQQSE

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
The sheets themselves are all the same size. Their not “uniform” refers to the “Kilmat” labeling on each sheet. The sheets have an overlap side. The overlap side covers your seams. When put together it covers the seam so you don’t have a black line where the two precut pieces butt up against each other. Well when I laid out the pieces to get the Kilmat logo all facing the right way I noticed it. Not a big deal if you going to cover it. I wanted a clean uniform install and wanted the logos all running the same direction. Attached some photos for help. 1 is 2 sheets butted up, logo is wrong way. 1 is my top looking up. 1 is the backing pulled back, last two show butt side and overlap side

IMG_4901.jpeg

IMG_4902.jpeg

IMG_4905.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_4903.jpeg

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Oh ok. Thank you for that. I suspected that that was what you meant. I’ll be covering my kilmat so logo alignment doesn’t matter. Thanks again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DQQSE

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
Oh ok. Thank you for that. I suspected that that was what you meant. I’ll be covering my kilmat so logo alignment doesn’t matter. Thanks again.
didn’t use heat gun. Rollers with ribs worked great. Smaller rollers are easier to work with. Cooler temps the better. You’ll notice a bit of an odd smell for couple weeks when first open door. Other than that it’s great. Cab is quieter, radio louder. 👍🏽

IMG_4906.jpeg

OP
OP
DQQSE

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
Sooooo… here we are, 1 year later. No HardTop Headliner by CoverKing. Sure black is available. All black truck, black interior, didn’t really want a black lid cover. They don’t have any other colors available and the same ol’ “we’re working on sourcing materials” plays on. Curious if anyone has found an alternative. Hotheads and factory headliner won’t cover the entire roof, so they’re out. 😕

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Sooooo… here we are, 1 year later. No HardTop Headliner by CoverKing. Sure black is available. All black truck, black interior, didn’t really want a black lid cover. They don’t have any other colors available and the same ol’ “we’re working on sourcing materials” plays on. Curious if anyone has found an alternative. Hotheads and factory headliner won’t cover the entire roof, so they’re out. 😕
oof. you can always buy your own headliner and cut it to fit. Just research on adhesive. I read that the 3M adhesive fails in the summer heat.

https://a.co/d/cUusdRV

OP
OP
DQQSE

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
oof. you can always buy your own headliner and cut it to fit. Just research on adhesive. I read that the 3M adhesive fails in the summer heat.

https://a.co/d/cUusdRV
Thanks G-Max. Ya last thing a guys wants to do is booger up the lid with rags hanging down in your face. AKA-Dreadlock Hardtop Headliner. Emailed CoverKing today. And I just saw they have Grey and Charcoal back. We will see what they say. Upholstery shop I found is my next stop for adhesive ideas.
Sponsored