wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
retired
All good advice and legal advice.

With the amount of rental traffic etc up there I gave up and just pulled over every time I saw a vehicle. Even If I had right of way.

Jeep from Arkansas not obeying anything almost killed me and my kids.
Agree with the rental traffic. way too many folks up there driving around that don't or shouldn't be there. scary..
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I had a showdown with a Ford Excursion on Engjneer. I was going up, he was coming down.

Thrre should be a width limit….

To answer OP, none of those trails are hard, really. Phoughkeepsie Gulch, IMO, is not doable in a stock gladiator, or wrangler for that matter. (Unless you have at least one locker if not two).

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
It's sad really. If people keep a level head, no issues should arise.
@Chargingstar and I ended leaving Mini Moab due to a huge line of vehicles held up by what was most likely a 2500 Dodge Diesel whose solution to a rock obstacle was back way up and...RAMMING SPEED! Sometimes rollin coal does not solve the problem.
heh....see what I did there?
You could see tempers rising.

We hit Schubarth and during the crux of the trail ran across a newbie going the opposite way.
Level heads prevailed and with some 4x4 tetris, all made it through. Colorado went low and Jeeps took the rock garden.
When I pulled up where @Chargingstar is, the look on the passenger's face was priceless. :like:

I had a showdown with a Ford Excursion on Engjneer. I was going up, he was coming down.

Thrre should be a width limit….

To answer OP, none of those trails are hard, really. Phoughkeepsie Gulch, IMO, is not doable in a stock gladiator, or wrangler for that matter. (Unless you have at least one locker if not two).
IMG_0340.jpg

Chargingstar

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The Chevy Colorado incident still gives me anxiety but @DocMike navigated everyone through it with a level head. Mike had to pull up onto a steep and offset rock and then our other two jeeps had to pull off the trail as far as we could to make room for the oncoming Colorado.

Downhill yielding to uphill being just a starting point for momentum purposes but other considerations dictate what happens in the name of safety. The Colorado was going uphill but momentum wasn't a factor because he was stopped and he wasn't in a steep spot. We had just made a sharp nearly 90 degree downhill turn with a small area to get our lines set for another 90 degree downhill turn - the Colorado was stopped at the entrance to the turn between a steep rock face and a tree.

We literally had nowhere to go and couldn't back uphill safely from where we came down from. Had the Colorado driver had any sense or skill (it was evident he was in over his head within seconds of encountering him) it was on us to risk rolling over to get this clown through and out of the way before anyone could proceed. @DocMike had pulled onto such a steep uphill rock to give him clearance I thought the Colorado was coming down from up above because I couldn't see him.

So short version: Having a capable vehicle is just a starting point. If you're going to run Imogene/Ophir for the first time then have an experienced partner/spotter and expect the unexpected with Jeeps, Trucks, OHVs and fucking go carts who don't know trail etiquette / don't care that will test your capabilities as a driver and your vehicle's limits.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
We all survived. Thankfully no one got aggro. Calm head and chipper demeanor is all it took.
Yeah I was on a weird angle and probably why I got funny looks from the passenger.

Nice guy. Green, but nice. We were all there once. I still got lots to learn.
@Chargingstar is right.
You can totally do and enjoy Imogene. Hell, join us in July.
Just be chill and expect that you are dealing with newbies.
Lots of tourists up there. You will probably help one.
Maybe they will buy you beer. Then...free beer.

The Chevy Colorado incident still gives me anxiety but @DocMike navigated everyone through it with a level head. Mike had to pull up onto a steep and offset rock and then our other two jeeps had to pull off the trail as far as we could to make room for the oncoming Colorado.

Downhill yielding to uphill being just a starting point for momentum purposes but other considerations dictate what happens in the name of safety. The Colorado was going uphill but momentum wasn't a factor because he was stopped and he wasn't in a steep spot. We had just made a sharp nearly 90 degree downhill turn with a small area to get our lines set for another 90 degree downhill turn - the Colorado was stopped at the entrance to the turn between a steep rock face and a tree.

We literally had nowhere to go and couldn't back uphill safely from where we came down from. Had the Colorado driver had any sense or skill (it was evident he was in over his head within seconds of encountering him) it was on us to risk rolling over to get this clown through and out of the way before anyone could proceed. @DocMike had pulled onto such a steep uphill rock to give him clearance I thought the Colorado was coming down from up above because I couldn't see him.

So short version: Having a capable vehicle is just a starting point. If you're going to run Imogene/Ophir for the first time then have an experienced partner/spotter and expect the unexpected with Jeeps, Trucks, OHVs and fucking go carts who don't know trail etiquette / don't care that will test your capabilities as a driver and your vehicle's limits.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wayned

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
retired
To answer the OP original question, All the trails in and around Ouray, Silverton and Telluride are doable in a stock jeep. Without a lift and larger tires you will scrap bottom. Pick your lines carefully and if need be the passenger can get out and spot you. Mineral creek is the best way to get onto to the trails (just my opinion), but its rocky and rough. My first time out in 2015 I was a stock wrangler with 33" tires only. I dragged bottom a few times. heading out July 16th 2022, to make the fifth time being there. this time in a stock JT. should be fun.
Take a lunch, bring some drinks (non alcoholic) and a camera or gopro. Bring a rain coat and a light jacket. It can snow, rain and hail any time of the year. use the E-brake if you exit the vehicle. Make sure and double check that the vehicle in in park if you exit. always double check the gear selector before moving. Biggest thing is enjoy your time in Gods country and Tread Lightly.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
To piggy back on the above, in addition to e-brake, I’ll grab a large rock to use as a wheel chock.

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks this was helpful. WE are planning a trip out this Summer with our base in Durango. Hope to do some of these trails.
Sponsored