Sponsored

Installing 8.4 uconnect navigation in my 2020 Gladiator Sport S?

Gjordan

First Name
Gail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I am looking to switch out my 4’ stereo and replace with the 8.4 navigation/Apple CarPlay system In my 2020 Gladiator Sport S. I was told Chrysler will not back this up. Is this true. Has anyone switched out the original 4” to the molar part #68417861AM with success?
Sponsored

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
The UConnect units in the 2020 were the 8.4”, 7” and 5”. Do you mean the 5”?

By Chrysler ‘not backing this up’ are you referring to warranty if they do the install? Normally, the dealership will not warranty an upgrade from a UConnect 3 to a 4C which the 8.4” runs.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The UConnect units in the 2020 were the 8.4”, 7” and 5”. Do you mean the 5”?

By Chrysler ‘not backing this up’ are you referring to warranty if they do the install? Normally, the dealership will not warranty an upgrade from a UConnect 3 to a 4C which the 8.4” runs.
...and from what I've read, you won't be able to get updates from Jeep, either.

Kevin

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking to switch out my 4’ stereo and replace with the 8.4 navigation/Apple CarPlay system In my 2020 Gladiator Sport S. I was told Chrysler will not back this up. Is this true. Has anyone switched out the original 4” to the molar part #68417861AM with success?
There is no support for the 8.4 Uconnect from FCA unless it is factory installed. It is not a dealer installable option. There are some threads from those that have tried it. If you really want the 8.4 Uconnect, either buy aftermarket and accept the limitations, or trade the truck for one that has it factory installed.

Sponsored

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I did the swap in my 2021. It was plug and play and very easy to do. Once you plug it in you will not have the reverse camera working. It will take 2 cycles of the Jeep going to "Sleep" and waking up for all the apps to appear. I have a tazer so I was able to enable the offroad pages as well. It has been a great upgrade, although expensive as 8.4 is not cheap even as a takeout.

OP
OP

Gjordan

First Name
Gail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
...and from what I've read, you won't be able to get updates from Jeep, either.

Kevin
There is no support for the 8.4 Uconnect from FCA unless it is factory installed. It is not a dealer installable option. There are some threads from those that have tried it. If you really want the 8.4 Uconnect, either buy aftermarket and accept the limitations, or trade the truck for one that has it factory installed.
Yes I have the 5”. I want to put in the 8.4 navigation apple CarPlay. Is this possible? I understand Chrysler is no longer supporting this switch of the two because too
Many people were having an issue?????

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FCA has never supported the switch. It can be done, but there is no official support from the dealer or Jeep if you have any issues.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I did the swap in my 2021. It was plug and play and very easy to do. Once you plug it in you will not have the reverse camera working. It will take 2 cycles of the Jeep going to "Sleep" and waking up for all the apps to appear. I have a tazer so I was able to enable the offroad pages as well. It has been a great upgrade, although expensive as 8.4 is not cheap even as a takeout.
But was yours a 5" from the factory?

The radio is such an integral part of the Jeep systems, I can see why they don't want things messed with. If you have future electrical issues - guess what they'll blame.

CJ99x

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Technology Field

The radio is such an integral part of the Jeep systems, I can see why they don't want things messed with. If you have future electrical issues - guess what they'll blame.
the failure if it is not related to the swap? Blaming a peice of equipment they manufactured could be a double edge sword for them.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the failure if it is not related to the swap? Blaming a peice of equipment they manufactured could be a double edge sword for them.
Doesn't matter who made the equipment. If you replace a factory installed component with something else, they will try to find a way to blame the problem on the component you installed.

CJ99x

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Technology Field
Doesn't matter who made the equipment. If you replace a factory installed component with something else, they will try to find a way to blame the problem on the component you installed.
I love all the dark helicopter mindsets in these forums. So by these theories if you vehicle has any electrical issues and you have replaced any electrical component then they can deny warranties. Wow just hope nobody has a dead battery or a tail lamp to burn out.
I have owned jeeps for several decades and I find FC to be a little more understanding than a lot of people give them credit for. While the head unit may not be warrantied because it was not part of the initial build FC will not void a warranty for you changing the unit unless you hacked up the vehicle doing so. Want to know how I know this, my Body Controller failed on my Unlimited and I have swapped the head unit out for an 8.4 unit from a 7 inch unit. Guess FC in finding the unit forgot to call the black helicopter police.

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator

Yes, it’s a very simple swap. I was done in under 45 minutes or so. 5 inches to 8.4. If you buy the radio used you will need the radio unlock code. It can be bought on eBay for $10 if you don’t want to bug your dealer.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I love all the dark helicopter mindsets in these forums. So by these theories if you vehicle has any electrical issues and you have replaced any electrical component then they can deny warranties. Wow just hope nobody has a dead battery or a tail lamp to burn out.
I have owned jeeps for several decades and I find FC to be a little more understanding than a lot of people give them credit for. While the head unit may not be warrantied because it was not part of the initial build FC will not void a warranty for you changing the unit unless you hacked up the vehicle doing so. Want to know how I know this, my Body Controller failed on my Unlimited and I have swapped the head unit out for an 8.4 unit from a 7 inch unit. Guess FC in finding the unit forgot to call the black helicopter police.
I never said anything about voiding warranties. Many dealers will try to find a way to blame the problem on something you did. Doesn't mean they will be successful, but many will try.

jpregione

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Management
I would propose you talk to a couple dealerships in your area to get their recommendations on upgrades, I'm currently doing an upgrade on my '22 and the support I'm receiving from a local dealer from the service side / parts side has been fantastic. I've learned a lot of details on the differences from vehicle to vehicle in my fun journey so feel free to reach out.
Sponsored