First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
So I am coming to the end of my active duty career with the Coast Guard. I am a helicopter pilot by trade, but haven't flown in the last 5 years and really never planned on flying when I got out. I have a solid background in Safety Management and a Masters in Emergency Services Management...but I really don't know what I want to do. I could easily go back into government service as a civilian or pick up a job with a contractor, but definitely not passionate about those options. I love following the few guys that seem to have made Jeeping a career and like everyone, would really like to find a job that I love. Unfortunately I am not a welder/fabricator, so being the next bumper/bedrack/rockslider/body armor manufacturer isn't going to happen...But there are other Jeep related industries that might be fun to get into...Wrapping and vinyl graphics is one idea I had and another was to start a cool Jeep/Overlanding apparel line...but I have no experience in that and not sure how I would start it up or generate interest other than in these forums...

So, any thoughts from members on here? Business ideas? Any Franchise owners in here? A buddy of mine who is a welder/fabricator by trade just bought a mobile wet blaster unit that is pretty cool. Not exactly Jeep related, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on his success with it.
Sponsored

henrywilson

First Name
henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
You've got the passion, and that's a strong starting point. Maybe start small, design some unique pieces, and see how the Jeep community responds. You could even consider partnering with local Jeep clubs or events to get the word out. As for business ideas, have you ever thought about fitness studio franchises? I know it might not be directly related to Jeeping, but it could be another interesting avenue to explore. Since you're new here, I'd recommend poking around the forum a bit more. There are often some hidden gems and nuggets of wisdom from experienced entrepreneurs.

Last edited:

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
Retired USAF Police Officer
You've probably already heard this but you're going to MISS it. The loss of purpose and identity is undeniable. Anytime I go on base, I feel like I'm coming home, but at the same time I feel like I don't belong anymore because I've got nothing and no one that connects me anymore.

I retired after 21 and even though it's something I had dreamed of, once I was there I floundered trying to find a direction. Good on you working it out ahead of time, but if you're looking for something, look into things that you wished were available to you as a coastie. What service or product did you (or currently do) consistently think, "man it would be great if..." that connects to the CG? I'd start there. Whether it's a reliable supplier of flight helmets or flight crew patches or knee boards or blinker fluid. Always in need of somebody to do prop wash? Look for those kinds of things that will make you valuable to the service you did. I'm still trying to figure out a reliable product for taking exhaust samples.... 😜

I kid but at the same time, if I could go back and get/create a job that let me retire AND still maintain that connection, my post retirement life would have been much easier and fulfilling.

EDIT: I see your original post was in 2020 😳 so, I'm assuming you've retired by now, Sorry it took 3 years before it got any traction. I'd like to know what you ended up doing. Hopefully you're not still out looking for grid squares......
Sponsored