Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My family is back in Iowa from North Carolina and we were super excited for the Jeep Wave. Jeeps in Iowa aren't as prevalent as in the S/SE so prior to our move to NC, we literally pointed out every Wrangler we would see. You almost don't have time to keep your hands on the wheel due to all the waving in the South. Now, we're 4 weeks back to Iowa and, to my surprise, many more Jeep Wranglers and several JT's around and NO ONE understands the Wave. WTF!?!? At this point, I am starting to feel like the dumbass who's waving at everyone else, even the other JTs. Are there significant regional or even state differences? We were in Indianapolis for about 2.5 weeks earlier this year and all the Wranglers were aware of the Wave. That's really not far from where we currently reside but a big difference nonetheless.
I am getting a lot more waves now. One guy in a nice looking Wrangler had his window down and stuck his arm way out and gave me a wave I could not possibly miss. Never saw him or the Jeep before. Man that felt cool.
At first, I got none- now, about half, maybe more. And those that don't, I do it anyway just thinking maybe they'll ask someone and learn something LOL. Well, one can hope. Iowans were supposed to be friendly, but Polk County, I can understand why not....... It's a very urban area compared to much of Iowa. Out away from the city you are more likely to get waves.

Several more JTs? Really? I've been a month now with the only ones seen on dealer lots. A month ago or so I passed one on the road - not sure they were aware of me coming up the other way but didn't see a wave. But I could say in Iowa, on the road, I've seen maybe 5? so far, one I know was out of state from a southern state. I've seen a couple in parking lots - I think one is driven by an employee or frequent shopper as each time I see it, it's in the parking lot of a certain store. Otherwise - there's no JTs out here.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Passed another Gladiator yesterday and got the most enthusiastic wave yet :)

Took the top off and got around a dozen waves today. It seems to get the attention of other Jeeps from father away.

95% of the waves are Wranglers. JTs are getting more coming common, but I still go days between sightings.

I haven't had the chance to take a long trip yet.
I go MONTHS between sightings - no kidding. I went 3 or 4 months before seeing another. And I'm out and about a fair amount considering I'm retired, thus the 9500 miles in less than 9 months.

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
I live in the Southern California desert and I get waves 80% of the time. I should add that my experience is I get waves from Jeeps built for actual off-road use. The soccer moms and grumpers don't wave; I just don't think they know of the Jeep wave.

Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
College town where I live lots of Jeeps courtesy of mommy and daddy. Never a wave from these drivers, no surprise.
Red Dirt Jeep Club with 6000 members in the state so these are good people and typically wave. I do get far more waves in my CJ than in my JT however.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They’re do busy driving like a bat out of hell making sure not one car cuts in front of them or is allowed to merge.
So you HAVE been to Iowa, especially the Des Moines metro area?

A few years ago a friend of mine who worked for Symantec in Toronto was engaged to another Symantec employee who worked in Eugene, OR.
They finally were going to get married - so Rob flew from Toronto to Eugene to get her, and her car, and drive back Eugene, OR to Toronto.
Their path took them within a few miles of my place. I invited them to stop by and stay the night, catch up a bit, then they could hit the interstate and drive up to Toronto from here.
We decided to meet at a large gas station just north of Des Moines. My wife and I were waiting there when Rob and his fiance pulled up to the gas pumps and Rob is a tall tall guy - he climbed out of her little car and the first things out of his mouth - and THIS was after having DRIVEN much of the way across the US - Eugene, Oregon to Des Moines, passing through several states, big cities and having driven the western US- he said he knew when he was approaching the Des Moines area because the axx-xxles were fingering him as they passed and cut him off. He knew of the reputation around here even clean up in Toronto - and he was amazed how true it was, how rude and dangerous drivers are here. I know in some places it's because it's crowded and it's every driver for themselves, try to make it to the next green light, etc. - but here, it's a dangerous game - no need for it, they just do it. They believe they are better because they drive an Infinity or Lexus around here. Even worse, and this is funny - the minivan drivers - often older folks.
But my wife will tell you - the young female drivers here are absolutely scary - driving near then is suicidal.
When I worked at Compressor Controls, we had people imported from all states and many other countries, even the Texans and Californians complained about Des Moines driving. My son says it's worse here than in Korea - because people here drive in the city with a rural mentality.

Sponsored

kill0509

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Live in Central Texas in a college town and the only ones I've experienced that will wave consistently are Wrangler owners and the only other Gladiator I've seen in town. It's really rare for one of the college kids to wave at all in my opinion and I definitely don't have Grand Cherokees/Jeep Renegades that wave.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
Eastern NC........I would say 85-90% wave! It is just a cool acknowledgement of a common Jeep lifestyle!

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
Took a 2.5 hour road trip to cape cod last week and my 7 year old has been assigned the oncoming jeep lookout. What I’ve noticed is rarely can we get 3 Jeeps In a row to wave. I think overall for the week we may have averaged below 50% waves from oncoming Jeeps which, in my opinion, is discouraging although there are a ton of them on the road. I’ll continue to wave but when it is not returned me no likey

MainePure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Water Boss
Tons of Jeeps up here everywhere so it can be annoying. I used to only wave to other CJs or older when I had my CJ7, and begrudgingly waved to the mall moms trying to be cool in their wranglers when I had my JKU.

But Gladiator wave when you run into another one is totally different and more rare. Only had a few so far, but enthusiasm is pegged at 10, finger pointing and fist pumping like "omg theres another person who knows how awesome this truck is!!...YEEEAAHH!! WOOHOOO!!". So its fun again.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I’m in NC too. I get a decent amount of waves from Wranglers, but I honestly think it’s because from head on it looks like a JL. I get waaay more waves when I have the top off.

Non stock Gladiator owners, for the most part, seem to break their arms waving at me. Stock Rubicons too. Stock Sports and Overlands don’t seem to have received the message.
Sponsored