Last min Overland trip in NC - need ideas

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
Next week a buddy is coming down from NJ and we've rented an adventure trailer/camper. We were planning to go out to Cape Lookout. However, I failed to realize you need to book the ferry several weeks in advance. So it doesn't look like we're getting to the OBX unless we swim, haha.

So our next option is to do some overlanding in the NC mountains. I'm researching ideas for trails and cool places to go. I would love any suggestions if anyone has some.
Sponsored

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I love Cape Lookout but you can get 90% of the experience camping at Ocracoke or Hatteras with better access to beer. You can't camp on the beach but there are campgrounds right next to the beach access.

Someone on the forum recommend this YouTube channel and it has some good place in NC to explore. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEtM0dkyIbFPcwqMvjafZQ

Do you want to do any hiking? There are a lot of areas around Boone that are great but you have to hike in for awhile to enjoy them. There is also Grandfather Mountain and a lot of trails right off the Blueridge Parkway in that area that beautiful.

CTFriel

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I echo Sarcasm. Ocracoke is nice as is Banner Elk. Or trek out to the Great Smoky mountains. Plenty of forest service and fire roads in Pisgah NF near Banner Elk too.

You could always hit Uwharrie OHV trails too.

OP
OP
Scruf

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
Will be up in Linville and banner elk next week as well with our trailer. Maybe we'll see you. Plenty of options... Take time to explore.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for another Gladiator!

I was looking at Linville Gorge, would be a cool spot to check out.

For a bit of off-roading, I was looking at the Hurricane Creek trail.

And I think another thread here mentioned Balsam Creek Rd. Appears to be more a scenic drive.

We'll have a NoBo 10.6 trailer and would prefer slightly more privative camping options. Any specific trail or camping suggestions are welcome.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
You can drive to the OBX without the Ferry it is just a longer drive and can make it all the way to Hatteras. I guess the Ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke is still running on a regular schedule and Ocracoke has some great areas. Or you could go inland and make it a multi-stop trip. Hit Uwharrie, download the Jeep trails app and earn your Dickey Bell badge. Then hit hanging rock, maybe a winery in the Yadkin area. head up into Boone and hit Blowing Rock and Grandfather mountain. There are lots of things to do. Most of all, have fun.
Sponsored