Not open for further replies.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
There are several threads on the JL Forums covering this - figured I'd create one here to get us started.

There are "emergency" rain covers for when the vehicle is stationary. But, how about for driving?

You went to the beach, freedom tops off, hard top off, maybe the doors are off too, maybe not... then all of a sudden, an unexpected rain or thunderstorm...
But that's ok, because you have a rain cover stashed in the bed. It's folded up nice and small and takes up no room. But when you open it it lets you protect the cab from rain, but still allows you to drive home. Sure, it's loud and annoying, but it's just an emergency cover, not a permanent soft cover...

So far I have not found any "bolt on" options. Just a bunch of ideas. But hopefully, like other items, with OUR POWERS COMBINED we can either find one, or get a manufacturer to make one...
Sponsored

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I'm planning on giving this a try, but it's not going to keep you completely dry. Sounds like you're looking for a soft top. When we get an OEM or aftermarket tan soft top option, I'll pick one up.

The Sun Bonnet is made of black durable, high- quality soft top material. Provides a modest amount of rain protection including shade and wind protection when the Hard Top or Soft Tops are not installed.

Other Notes
Constructed of the same fabric as the production top, this unique accessory offers a breezy open-air feel while protecting passengers from the sun. Available in colors to match your existing top.

https://store.mopar.com/accessories...essories-sun_bonnets/sun_bonnet_82215620.html
mopar-82215620-sun-bonnet-jeep-gladiator-jt-installed.jpg

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm planning on giving this a try, but it's not going to keep you completely dry. Sounds like you're looking for a soft top. When we get an OEM or aftermarket tan soft top option, I'll pick one up.

The Sun Bonnet is made of black durable, high- quality soft top material. Provides a modest amount of rain protection including shade and wind protection when the Hard Top or Soft Tops are not installed.

Other Notes
Constructed of the same fabric as the production top, this unique accessory offers a breezy open-air feel while protecting passengers from the sun. Available in colors to match your existing top.

https://store.mopar.com/accessories...essories-sun_bonnets/sun_bonnet_82215620.html
mopar-82215620-sun-bonnet-jeep-gladiator-jt-installed.jpg
I don't really want a soft top, in the traditional sense. Since they are attached more rigidly. Meaning that they are really still there just moved out of the way when you want the wind in your hair. I want to have nothing attached, but something I can throw up only when there is a need to use it, and that it stores up nice and compact in the truck.

Yes. I want to have my cake, and eat it too!

I don't think the sun bonnet will be at all useful for rain, even emergency rain. It doesn't go over the gap between the roll cage and the doors. Here are some pictures from a JL:

f7015639-e3e2-4dce-9784-864d5005ab51-jpeg.jpg

ba03ca8a-4373-4142-8619-c5ad3c7ad5c8-jpeg.jpg

Source: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/is-the-mopar-sun-bonnet-waterproof.24485/#post-581838

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
upload_2019-8-6_17-25-45.png

Sponsored

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I don't really want a soft top, in the traditional sense. Since they are attached more rigidly. Meaning that they are really still there just moved out of the way when you want the wind in your hair. I want to have nothing attached, but something I can throw up only when there is a need to use it, and that it stores up nice and compact in the truck.

Yes. I want to have my cake, and eat it too!

I don't think the sun bonnet will be at all useful for rain, even emergency rain. It doesn't go over the gap between the roll cage and the doors. Here are some pictures from a JL:

f7015639-e3e2-4dce-9784-864d5005ab51-jpeg.jpg

ba03ca8a-4373-4142-8619-c5ad3c7ad5c8-jpeg.jpg

Source: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/is-the-mopar-sun-bonnet-waterproof.24485/#post-581838
The Mopar Sun Bonnet isn't completely rain proof, but the next best thing is a soft top. I don't think there's a top like what your describing that exists for the Gladiator. Does anything like that exist for other Jeeps like the TJ or JK?

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar Sun Bonnet isn't completely rain proof, but the next best thing is a soft top. I don't think there's a top like what your describing that exists for the Gladiator. Does anything like that exist for other Jeeps like the TJ or JK?
You're right - they do not exist yet for the Gladiator. This is more of an APB, hopefully if someone sees one, or comes across one, they'll come here and update.

There are at least half a dozen threads on the jl forums asking the same question. So there isn't one for the JL yet either. (but there is a demand. how high? maybe not so high...)

As for the TJ and JK... I'll admit, I have not looked. That's a good place to start, since those companies may offer one for the JL and JT....

Status
Not open for further replies.