Sponsored

My Mojave Wheels - paint or not? (need your opinion)

Pick the best look

• Black

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Orange

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Grey

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • polished

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Leave stock

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
JarHeadLV

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mohave, 2020 Porsche 911 Turbo
Occupation
Financial Retirement Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate everyone's opinion. I TRIED to paint the "beadlock" but to mask off the tire and rim was just too difficult.- to do and look good. Ideally, I was trying to avoid removing all 4 tires (dismount, then re mount) at the expense of like $400 total, then somehow have my truck sitting on blocks for 2, 3, 4 days while actually getting painted or powdercoated for another $800 and then re installed. Im going to just LEAVE IT ALONE.

Eventually I might just buy another rim if it "eats" at me. I certainly dont hate the current look, I just love the beadlock a different color.
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate everyone's opinion. I TRIED to paint the "beadlock" but to mask off the tire and rim was just too difficult.- to do and look good. Ideally, I was trying to avoid removing all 4 tires (dismount, then re mount) at the expense of like $400 total, then somehow have my truck sitting on blocks for 2, 3, 4 days while actually getting painted or powdercoated for another $800 and then re installed. Im going to just LEAVE IT ALONE.

Eventually I might just buy another rim if it "eats" at me. I certainly dont hate the current look, I just love the beadlock a different color.
Can you just do one at a time? Put the spare on, do the ring removal and paint yourself, and rotate?

OP
OP
JarHeadLV

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Can you just do one at a time? Put the spare on, do the ring removal and paint yourself, and rotate?
That's actually a good idea - it does alleviate my "where does my truck sit on jacks for "x" days dilemma, but I decided it wasn't worth the cost to take off / put back on tire, rebalance and powder coat is still like $1,400

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That's actually a good idea - it does alleviate my "where does my truck sit on jacks for "x" days dilemma, but I decided it wasn't worth the cost to take off / put back on tire, rebalance and powder coat is still like $1,400
Do you really need to rebalance if you just lay it down, remove the ring, and don’t move it? Then you could just use paint and tons of clear coat. Not pushing. I just like this kind of thing.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you really need to rebalance if you just lay it down, remove the ring, and don’t move it? Then you could just use paint and tons of clear coat. Not pushing. I just like this kind of thing.
I’m just about done with powder coating items that get scratched, personally. The first scratch kills the powder coat. Paint is easier to touch up in my opinion. And it’s way cheaper.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m just about done with powder coating items that get scratched, personally. The first scratch kills the powder coat. Paint is easier to touch up in my opinion. And it’s way cheaper.
And some wheel manufacturers, including Method, will void wheel warranties if they’re powder coated. The heat can affect the strength of the wheel.

OP
OP
JarHeadLV

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My wheels are not real bead locks, so would have to dismount and remount tires to powedercoat for the "beadlock" look

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My wheels are not real bead locks, so would have to dismount and remount tires to powedercoat for the "beadlock" look
Ah. So it’s not a removable rash ring either?

OP
OP
JarHeadLV

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
correct, 1 piece wheel
Oh well. That is a tough masking job. I definitely wouldn’t powder coat them due to warranty issues, depending on vendor.

OP
OP
JarHeadLV

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh well. That is a tough masking job. I definitely wouldn’t powder coat them due to warranty issues, depending on vendor.
YES, masking was almost impossible. If not powdercoat, then what would you recommend if I decide to go down this path?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
YES, masking was almost impossible. If not powdercoat, then what would you recommend if I decide to go down this path?
Masking and painting unfortunately. Try a plastic bag over the whole tire and tape for the last inch or so.

OP
OP
JarHeadLV

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Masking and painting unfortunately. Try a plastic bag over the whole tire and tape for the last inch or so.
Appreciate the info, but Im done trying!!!

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
I'd leave the wheels in the as-is color and maybe have add orange pinstripes around the inside and outside of the simulated beadlock ring. That should give you a pop of color without being as in-your-face as the full orange ring.
Sponsored