Sponsored

Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that.

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
So, after reading all of the various posts and such, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the OEM Rubicon steel bumper, and added a winch to it.

To prevent a 'hot bumper' in the event of an accident, I added the Warn Power interrupt kit, though I imagine a generic solenoid would do the trick, too.

Anyway, everything installed ok, but I was struggling to find a place to mount the solenoid. I don't like drilling into my cars, or my car parts, so if I could find a better spot for it.. so be it.

Several forum members have done metal brackets.. but I don't have scrap metal laying around. I DO, however, have a number of 3d printers.. so I opted to produce a bracket for it.

Couple of things to note.. it's designed to be mounted near the hex rivnut hole on the passenger side of our engine bays. If you want to mount it someplace else, feel free.. but it was designed with that spot in mind.

Jeep Gladiator Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that. PXL_20211018_210411108

Jeep Gladiator Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that. PXL_20211018_211648941

(Yes, I'm well aware, I'm missing the bolt in the photo... gotta go grab a M6 bolt for it)

It's not a 'perfect fit' by any means, but it does provide a non-conductive mount, that you can print out in about an hour. I also angled the corners, because my wife pointed out, any time you have sharp corners, someone will somehow injure themselves. Meh.. I don't know if I buy that, but it reduces the material needed to print it.

Anyway, the STL is available on Thingiverse, (though it's taking it own sweet time: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5024564 ) but if anyone wants it, and can't find it there, let me know, and I'll create a drive link and DM ya with it.

Sure, it's not going to change the world, but if it helps 1 person, I'm happy. :)

~ Casp
Sponsored

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Cool! I might try it out, but only print in PLA so far. Would wonder about the heat under the hood.

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
So, after reading all of the various posts and such, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the OEM Rubicon steel bumper, and added a winch to it.

To prevent a 'hot bumper' in the event of an accident, I added the Warn Power interrupt kit, though I imagine a generic solenoid would do the trick, too.

Anyway, everything installed ok, but I was struggling to find a place to mount the solenoid. I don't like drilling into my cars, or my car parts, so if I could find a better spot for it.. so be it.

Several forum members have done metal brackets.. but I don't have scrap metal laying around. I DO, however, have a number of 3d printers.. so I opted to produce a bracket for it.

Couple of things to note.. it's designed to be mounted near the hex rivnut hole on the passenger side of our engine bays. If you want to mount it someplace else, feel free.. but it was designed with that spot in mind.

Jeep Gladiator Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that. PXL_20211018_211648941

(Yes, I'm well aware, I'm missing the bolt in the photo... gotta go grab a M6 bolt for it)

It's not a 'perfect fit' by any means, but it does provide a non-conductive mount, that you can print out in about an hour. I also angled the corners, because my wife pointed out, any time you have sharp corners, someone will somehow injure themselves. Meh.. I don't know if I buy that, but it reduces the material needed to print it.

Anyway, the STL is available on Thingiverse, (though it's taking it own sweet time: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5024564 ) but if anyone wants it, and can't find it there, let me know, and I'll create a drive link and DM ya with it.

Sure, it's not going to change the world, but if it helps 1 person, I'm happy. :)

~ Casp
PLA is gonna warp like mad if you’re in a warmer climate. Did you use ABS? I’ve printed with that metal resin filament that you bake that works well. It just doesn’t look that nice afterwards. Hmm seems like a fun project for the weekend. Thanks for the file!

OP
OP
Caspien

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
PLA is gonna warp like mad if you’re in a warmer climate. Did you use ABS? I’ve printed with that metal resin filament that you bake that works well. It just doesn’t look that nice afterwards. Hmm seems like a fun project for the weekend. Thanks for the file!
Printed in petg, which is a decent half way between pla and abs.

Shouldn't be getting hot enough on that side of the engine bay to melt petg, but yeah, PLA might get a bit softer than I'd like.

Might print it in ABS, but will need to set up my outdoor print area again, if I want to print in ABS again, due to the fumes.

Warning: Petg, although generally harmless to humans, actually does produce some vapors, which area dangerous to birds. So if you have pet birds, maybe find someone local to print it for ya :)

~ Casp

Sponsored

OP
OP
Caspien

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
I have a large format printer (~1'X2' cylindrical) that I need to fix. Things like this keep stacking up in the "to do" pile.
LOL... I hear ya... I have so much on my 'To print' list.

~Casp

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Well, you motivated me. I rigged up a vent system and bought some ABS. This was my first test print. Then when I went to test-fit, my manual disconnect switch has a different bolt pattern than your solenoid. So it will be back to the drawing board for me.
All was not lost, however. The mount now proudly holds my rodent-zapper, and helped clean up some of my wire runs. So thanks!

Jeep Gladiator Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that. 1118211023_HDR

OP
OP
Caspien

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Well, you motivated me. I rigged up a vent system and bought some ABS. This was my first test print. Then when I went to test-fit, my manual disconnect switch has a different bolt pattern than your solenoid. So it will be back to the drawing board for me.
All was not lost, however. The mount now proudly holds my rodent-zapper, and helped clean up some of my wire runs. So thanks!

Jeep Gladiator Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that. 1118211023_HDR
If you want the file, in a different format to modify the bolt pattern, let me know :)

~ Casp

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Okay, I'm almost there. I copied the file, duplicated it, rotated it, and printed in ABS. I then manually measured the holes and drilled them. Switch sits fine, but I didn't have a rivnut. I thought I could use some clip fasteners, but nope. So the final assembly is waiting on a rivnut. I can post the file if you think it is worth it.
Jeep Gladiator Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that. mymod

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5032.JPG

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Any reason people are concerned about the mount of a solenoid or switch being non-conductive?
They've been mounted on steel parts for many decades...............
Just wondering why the concern on an insulated part.
Jeep Gladiator Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that. 20201017_135945_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that. 20201017_135923_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Necessity, the mother of invention.. and all that. 20201017_135954_HDR

Sponsored

OP
OP
Caspien

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Less worries about it being non-conductive, so much as the fact I don't have metal laying around. ;)

That said, I've seen enough squirrelly crap happen with electronics during my life, that I will always insulate anything I can.

Worked as a repair tech for Circuit City for a few years.. and the amount of 'whoops.. that's not supposed to happen' I've seen in mass produced electronics, is mind boggling.

That said, my biggest concern was more about not letting the solenoid bounce around.. *shrug*

~ Casp

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Exactly as Caspien said. I can fab ABS now. I suck at metal fab...

OP
OP
Caspien

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Exactly as Caspien said. I can fab ABS now. I suck at metal fab...
I actually plan on ABS printing this, myself.. but right now, even with my enclosure, the Prusa struggles when I move the unit outside to print. (30F cold creep is still a thing, with ABS, even with a thermal enclosure, apparently.. lol)

That said, the PETG one has held up.. ok... it's got a little bit of warping from the weight of the solenoid on it.

Doesn't really matter, honestly, if it looks pretty or not.. so long as it just keeps the thing attached :)

~ Casp
Sponsored