Sponsored

New dash message - battery start/stop not available, service.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
So, I am frustrated to say that after the genesis install I now have a dreaded message of 'battery start/stop not available, service battery start/stop" message.

I have gone through multiple key cycles and some highway driving.

Verified wiring is in line with how it is 'supposed' to be - meaning aux negative is above the IBS, and aux positive is not on the positive battery post.

Voltages are ok. N1 and at battery are currently 12.65 - not sure why they're so low already though.

Genesis aux battery is disconnected from the system as it should be at rest and holding 13v the last 3 hours

The message displays within a few seconds of starting the engine. It is charging properly at around 14.5-14.7 v

Fuse 42 is ok and not blown. Based on some reading here, I removed fuse 42 just to see, message still displays.

Attempted reading codes, no codes stored.

The only thing I can think is some way somehow something is still connected wrong, or worse? there was a surprisingly large spark when reconnecting the batteries even taking all the normal precautions - it caught me off guard.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
So -I went back and watched their video again and again. And it looks like I got all sorts of mixed up somewhere and between reading forums and watching videos you do NOT need to hook the factory aux negative to the main negative. Somewhere along the line I thought you did need to. So I removed the factory aux negative from the negative post - still have the service light. Figured everything needed a good reset so I disconnected the main positive cable, waited a few minutes, reconnected it - and suddenly the error no longer is showing. So hopefully that is it!!

But - I am still posting this because I am curious - what are the chances something was damaged?

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Well, something is still up. the radio seems to have reset itself and doesn't know it's a rubicon? The instrument cluster still says rubicon, but the radio has lost function of displaying temperature's selected for heating/cooling, as well as I can't access off road pages, or cameras. But radio stations are still the same, and no more 'service start/stop system' messages are displaying currently.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Having no clue as to what that system does, how it connects in, how it isolates the batteries from each other, how it charges each battery and so on........... can't say much.
If it simply took the place of the aux battery and by using a larger battery to replace it, if it was otherwise wired IDENTICALLY in every way, that would be easier. But if there's any other electronics involved.......... can't say.
It does almost sound as if something else was impacted - a fuse blown, or some transient surge hit something.
There will be a fair spark when reconnecting the stock batteries into the stock system. The idea is to reconnect quickly and without on/off/on because of being startled - and make sure nothing else can have touched anything while working on the system.

(having worked in a high-end EE firm for a few years, observing, learning - electronics fail at power-up)

And it looks like I got all sorts of mixed up somewhere and between reading forums and watching videos you do NOT need to hook the factory aux negative to the main negative.
Then it's not just replacing the aux battery with a larger battery? What does the aux battery negative connect to, then? What/how does the second battery ground?
All the aux battery negative is doing by being connected to the main battery ground is - connecting it to chassis ground.
It's not magic - on a stock system all that aux negative cable is connecting to is the truck ground.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Having no clue as to what that system does, how it connects in, how it isolates the batteries from each other, how it charges each battery and so on........... can't say much.
If it simply took the place of the aux battery and by using a larger battery to replace it, if it was otherwise wired IDENTICALLY in every way, that would be easier. But if there's any other electronics involved.......... can't say.
It does almost sound as if something else was impacted - a fuse blown, or some transient surge hit something.
There will be a fair spark when reconnecting the stock batteries into the stock system. The idea is to reconnect quickly and without on/off/on because of being startled - and make sure nothing else can have touched anything while working on the system.

(having worked in a high-end EE firm for a few years, observing, learning - electronics fail at power-up)

Then it's not just replacing the aux battery with a larger battery? What does the aux battery negative connect to, then? What/how does the second battery ground?
All the aux battery negative is doing by being connected to the main battery ground is - connecting it to chassis ground.
It's not magic - on a stock system all that aux negative cable is connecting to is the truck ground.
The system is two part I would say

1) it eliminates the factory aux battery.
2) it installs a different style of aux battery that is similar to the old school method of having a simple solenoid connect/disconnect a second battery.

So the factory aux positive cable gets connected to the main positive
the factory aux negative gets disconnected and left - this is similar in operation to what I have seen in other threads with people trying to keep the factory main battery but eliminate the aux battery so it doesn't have to be dealt with. My ESS still functions normally

The 'service start/stop' message is gone - probably because I went out an hour ago to disconnect the positive terminal to test voltages real quick of the battery - with nothing connected to it (its cold out, wanted to make sure it had a good charge). I just got back from a 15 or 20 mile test drive. Everything functioned fine (except the radio and hvac system).

But right now I'm more concerned as to why I lost so much functionality with the radio because the rest of everything is functioning norma.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I can try to draw a diagram if that would be helpful - my drawing skills are not great. But I dont see how that would have any effect on the Radio. And the radio works so I dont see how there would be any fuse issue there. Unless somehow disconnecting the battery to test voltages caused the radio to fully reset and not know itself? I dont see how it would be any different than if just changing out both factory style batteries.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The system is two part I would say

1) it eliminates the factory aux battery.
2) it installs a different style of aux battery that is similar to the old school method of having a simple solenoid connect/disconnect a second battery.

So the factory aux positive cable gets connected to the main positive
the factory aux negative gets disconnected and left - this is similar in operation to what I have seen in other threads with people trying to keep the factory main battery but eliminate the aux battery so it doesn't have to be dealt with. My ESS still functions normally

The 'service start/stop' message is gone - probably because I went out an hour ago to disconnect the positive terminal to test voltages real quick of the battery - with nothing connected to it (its cold out, wanted to make sure it had a good charge). I just got back from a 15 or 20 mile test drive. Everything functioned fine (except the radio and hvac system).

But right now I'm more concerned as to why I lost so much functionality with the radio because the rest of everything is functioning norma.
Go in and try a soft reset on the "radio".
If that fails, you may need to pull the fuse for the radio for a few minutes - do a hard reset.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Go in and try a soft reset on the "radio".
If that fails, you may need to pull the fuse for the radio for a few minutes - do a hard reset.
already did the soft reset. it didnt even reset the Chanels which was weird. I will have to pull the fuse tomorrow. it's dark, and I'm tired lol. I figured doing a hard reset would be the natural next step - but it seems odd still to me.

Do you know off the top of your head what fuse it is? I'm thinking F10

I can try and draw out a sketch of the genesis system tomorrow - would be curious to see what you think of it anyway.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
There's a radio reset procedure. Have you tried that?

Also, if you have a Tazer or any other ODB programming tool installed you may want to remove that until you have everything working right without it.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
There's a radio reset procedure. Have you tried that?
If you are referring to something more in depth then the 'reset' option in the settings menu then no I have not. I am not aware of a particular procedure for radio reset.

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
If you are referring to something more in depth then the 'reset' option in the settings menu then no I have not. I am not aware of a particular procedure for radio reset.
Yeah. It's a combination of button presses. It's been posted here before.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
This is the one I think I've seen that works on ours.
Combination of buttons.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
This is the Genesis system installation video that I had bookmarked in case I decided to go that route.

Sponsored