Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Welcome to another build journal. I figured it was time to start one since recent events have encouraged a sudden purchase of goodies and I wanted to be able to log it a little better than just my standard word document usually used for maintenance records. This also might provide some use to others interested in similar items.

Maybe some here have seen my other truck from previous on expo portal https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/destination-unknown-a-1997-f350-build.172147/

This 2022 JTR will be similar and different in several ways. I sold the big old truck for a few different reasons - the main one being daily practicality. So, that means the JTR will be a bit more respectable and usable, not to mention easier to get in.

Of course there are 'plans' but as I found with the last 2 vehicle builds, I dont intend on blaring them out because we all know plans change easily and quickly. So hop in, and join me on a ride, to a Destination Unknown.......

Here are a few pictures of when I picked up the new rig.
Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal image1

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal image2

Sometime in February or March 2021, after selling the OBS 7.3 F350 to a wonderful couple in N. Idaho, leaving me with only my '06 TJ to drive, and really needing a longer wheelbase for winter, I decided to put in an order for a new Gladiator. The original idea was to get a respectable option, at a relatively low cost to leave funds left over for some house work, and Jeep mod's. So I hoped on here, did a bunch of reading, and settled on an option I thought would be preferred. Well shortly after placing an order I took my TJ to the shop for a full fluids replacement and maintenance. They forgot to put fluid back into the rear diff, and, well, it blew up. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) parts were nearly unobtanium. It actually cook about 3 months to find parts as new gears were months out. So, exploring around I saw a new JTR on the lot of the dealer I place the order with. Liking almost all the options it showed to have online I gave them a ring. It had just arrived, didn't even go through the PDI yet. I told them the story and to set it aside. Went in later that day for a test drive, and signed the papers.

In hindsight, it was a blessing in disguise. The order I had placed was for a Max Tow - thinking I didn't not want or need the capabilities of a Rubicon. I can say now I am very happy to have gone the Rubicon route instead. I also realized after the fact some of the options I ordered, or did not order, were not explained to me properly - thus I would have been highly disappointed with the order that was placed.

So, the start to a great, long, and hopefully dependable ownership of a JTR began.

The following subsequent posts will be just a catchup of the last 10 months of ownership.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Shortly after ordering a canopy I came across this product made by 813 Fabrication. I had looked and considered other more mainstream products found on quadratic, 4wp, Northridge, etc.. but wasn't super happy with how they attached to the vehicle. So, after many considerations, put in an order for these as well. Over the next few months I gave him a call and chatted about some other options and products as well. And have to say, it's some awesome quality stuff - highly recommended. And I think it is far better than the main stream options.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8192.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8193.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8194.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8195.JPG

My only gripe here is it would be cool if the passenger side upper panel went all the way to the front of the bed. But, it's really not a big issue at all. The quality of the product is excellent.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I settled on the RLD Designs canopy. To this day I don't know still if it was a good or not so good choice. I chose this particular canopy for several reasons.
  1. it was available - I found a vendor that had one in stock with the window option I wanted. All other options were several weeks out
  2. price - it was also cheaper, by only a few hundred, than other options, including the 'standard' fiberglas options
  3. windows - it had side windows. At the time, Alu-Cab did not have a canopy with side window options
  4. dynamic load - along with windows, it had the highest dynamic load option compared to others.
  5. looks - it went along with the lines of the Jeep as I got the v3 one - it was not 'squared off' like most other canopy manufacturers, which I do like a lot
There are, however, several things I dont like about it. One of which is pretty important. At the moment it would seem the company has shut down. Time will tell but they have a strangely suspicious statement on their website.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 67521758091__DCB94894-F02E-4820-B4D7-50745840D503.fullsizerender.JPG

Upon arrival it looked amazing. But I did experience several problems with install. Mostly revolving around the mounting hardware. I am not a fan with how it bolts to the trail rail system, but I have not yet experienced any failures or problems. That being said, I am particularly bothered by the fact that nearly ALL of their stainless hardware (bolts) has failed during original install. So I had to go to the hardware store and get my own bolts and mounting hardware.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8346.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8352.JPG

There have been reports of the door hinges rusting. The entire thing is supposed to be stainless, of what quality who knows, so hopefully I don't experience any rust issues - but time will tell that as well.

So far it has worked well for me. Although I do wish it was lighter, that heavy dynamic load comes at a 175 pound cost. It did sink the truck a tad, but I still have positive rake. And it does feel it, but that is mostly in part to the well known 'soft' Rubicon suspension.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8355.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8354.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8353.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 67537932950__761675DD-FA63-4F13-A408-B196AB2575F9.fullsizerender.JPG

Also installed was the trail rail system as I did not have it from the factory - strange enough.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
The next order of business was lights. Not all, but at least ones up front for now. I live in a rural area, and a very small town. The nearest developed area to me is 60 miles on a stretch of interstate with HEAVY animal traffic. Deer, elk, moose, are all hit on a regular basis. Usually multiple hits a day. It sure would be a shame to hit one with a brand new rig.

I had 2 pairs of Baja Designs XL80's that originally was going to go on the F350. So they went on the JTR instead. There are a lot of great light options out there. Several years ago I decided on the high price option of XL80's for my TJ, just one pair, and was totally blown away by their light quality. IMO, nothing else compares. This time I opted for a set with the wide cornering lens, and the other set will have the 'spot' lease. Notice though that the two sets of lights have the same optics. Just a few weeks ago I noticed that Baja Designs rolled out a "laser" light in the XL80 body. This option truly is a 'spot' light as it has different optics (cones). However, at 800 EACH, I don't know that they will be in my ownership. Besides, 4 XL80's pushes out a LOT of light.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8288.JPG

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
But first, I needed a way to control said lights. Searching around for options, I have always been a 'relay' guy - mostly because when I first started wrenching on vehicles as a Ford tech, that was the thing to do and it doesn't require running a bunch of high powered wires into the cab. But, with newer vehicles come newer options. I stumbled across the Switch Pros option on this forum somewhere and went to check them out. It was perfect for what I was looking for. The biggest positive to me was the low profile. I do have a nice relay box on the TJ, but this Switch Pros option is less than half the size, programable, looks super slick, and the operation is functionally similar to the JTR. So even though it is a cost, again, went with it as well. So far, I have been very happy. Happy enough that I might opt for another one later on.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8264.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8289.JPG

I also happened to stumble across an option for the JT that I have not seen anyone else do. Most folks seem to mount them on the grab handle, or above the windshield, or even on the dash somewhere. Having done that myself in the past with other switch options, I wanted something a little more....factory in appearance and function. So I found this (probably 3D printed) mount that goes under the factory light switch. It was ordered with the switch pro. Now, this is an option that I have not seen since. I even did a fair bit of googling specifically for this mount, in hopes to post a link for others who may be interested. But, it must have been one of a kind, or is no longer made. Maybe it is still out there. But, I am very happy to have this option. It looks like it totally belongs as well now since all the 'light' controls are in the same spot of the vehicle.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8273.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_8287.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
By this point in time I have had the JTR on a few day trips. Mostly to run errands and see doctors - so no serious trips or even camping trips yet. But we are getting close!! Well....sorta.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 20220804-IMG_8686

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 20220730-IMG_8646

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 20220619-IMG_8451

Without going into details, I had to make an urgent trip to Seattle for a second brain surgery. Yep.....#2. It became much more involved than I or the doctors assumed and hoped. But I for as much as I dislike the big city, I have to give Seattle props for having some of the best surgeons and best medical care in the world. After 2 weeks in the hospital, removal of infected skull bone marrow, and 9 weeks of at home central line infusions I was ready to go to my home. But, while staying in the area with my parents for the heavy meds we did take a few day trips, that the surgeons probably would have been unhappy with.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 20220919-IMG_9056 2

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 20220920-IMG_9067 2

This was a great time to do some very mild 4x4 trips and see where the JTR sat stock with a heavy canopy (and no other gear). It worked well, but was slightly disappointing with the lack of clearance just due to the 137" wheelbase. I did scrape the factory skid's a few times, and these areas were not at all technical.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 20220926-IMG_9133 2

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 20220920-IMG_9066 2

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9046 2.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 20220926-IMG_9138 2

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
So when I got home, some more parts went on order. There are MANY options for skid plate protection. But having to balance functionality with reality and factor in cost as well as a few other things. I opted on the Quadratec in house skids. I know there are better quality options out there, but I don't intend to be doing the hardest trails in MOAB. I do think this will suffice, but time will tell. They are not yet on. Also ordered was a rear bumper. It was a spur of the moment order, but I have been eyeballing this particular one for a while. Road Armor Stealth Full Width winch bumper.

For the longest time, I have wanted a rear winch bumper. Though not yet installed (in fact I still need a winch, and a front bumper and winch) I wanted to pick it up for a few reasons. First, it is so far the only rear winch bumper on the market that I have found. It looks great, looks relatively stock, and it was on sale for nearly half price. I couldn't pass it up!! Hopefully it will perform as good as it looks!

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
For several years now I have had the mobile dual ARB compressor with tank. It is a great unit. Brad over at Trail Recon uses the same thing actually, and just posted a recent 3 year review of it. I have had this because of the need (or want) to have one between my TJ and the OBS 350. Now, I never really aired down for travel, but rather found having a compressor nice for dealing with flat's and just blowing off dust/dirt. That being said, I do intend to actually air down more with the JTR, for obvious reasons. So having a hard mount option is beneficial - especially in regard to the fact that I absolutely hate having to lift the hood all the time to connect/disconnect things.

So, after playing around with different options and possibilities of mounting, I settled on fixing it to the passenger side 813 mole panel. The wires were ran through the hole in the bed where the rear 120V plug would be if I had that option (still have one in the cab though). This will also offer options for future upgrades and a nice future wire panel for 'house' accessories. It was a bit of a pain, having to cut the hole in the bed wider, and paint it to hopefully prevent future rust, but in the end I think it turned out well.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9193.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9262.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9282.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9284.JPG

Now mounting the ARB resulted in having to remove the 813 panel. Surprisingly enough, the 1 pound propane tank was able to mount directly to the mole panel as the holes in the panel matched perfectly with the rivet nuts on the tank. The compressor not so much, so some aluminum brackets from 813 had to be used. But it still turned out.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9280.JPG

Now I finally had onboard air. Wired up to activate with Aux 2, I am happy with it and it feels great to have this option always available. I did see some rust inside one of the lines when removing the compressor from the hard black plastic ARB case, but I am willing to bet this is a regular occurrence and few people probably even notice it. Hopefully it doesn't cause future issues.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9301.JPG

Now mounting this was hard enough as it is because I had to remove the trail rail system with how the 813 panels mount to the bed. I like that they are under the trail rail system but it does make it a royal pain if I ever have to move the compressor in the future, especially considering the canopy also mounts to the trail rail system. This will prove to be an issue in the future as the compressor should have been pushed even further to the front of the vehicle. Time will tell if it will need to be relocated or not (crosses fingers).

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9299.JPG

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
After having the Switch Pros on for a while, I have become a little unhappy with the mounting option it comes with. Though it works fine, it's just a little, messy. And also kinda in the way of adding other goodies in the future. I did see an option posted on this forum a while ago, but didn't, at the time, want to spring for the cost. Also didn't really think that having to use a large wire was my best option. Well after pondering it for some time, it really in fact is the best option - for me anyway. So I placed an order for the Power Trays system. It's vey nice, high quality components are included, and in the end it looks great.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 69550896315__73089C9F-CDCF-41CB-8F7B-189D7D32028F.fullsizerender.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9736.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9737.JPG

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
A few weeks ago I was trying to figure out what to really do next. With it being winter, and making backing up difficult in the dark, I opted to utilize some lights that have been in a box for some time. Originally intended to go on my TJ, I figured it would be better suited to go on the JT since the JT has the switch system already. So the only thing I needed to do was run some wire and install the lights.

The rear lighting situation will be two fold. Primary rear lights will be (not yet owned) a pair of S2 Sports with the wide cornering lens. They will be installed into the slots of the rear winch bumper (not yet installed), and they will be powered by the Switch Pro system, via a 'trigger' wire that is attached to the left rear reverse light via a Oracle jumper harness (to easily bring it back to stock).

The other rear lights, the ones I installed, are 3 single S1 Pro with the scene lens. The idea with these is to be a much brighter and 'flood' style of light. Funny enough, the S1 Pro lights are double the power of the S2 Sport lights.

I chose this order of magnitude because it seems to fit my use case better. The S2's will be a 'daily' use of reverse light. And when I need light, truly need light, I want good light - which is where the three S1's will come in handy.

I decided to mount the S1's on the canopy. I wanted them to have a higher angle to prevent casting shadows - also because the S2's will already be low on the bumper. I think this will work very well. So off to drilling I went. It never feels good to drill as it is a permanent modification - but I am ok with drilling in the canopy as it more or less can be replaced whereas the body of the truck can't. The S1's are mounted 'below' the roofline of the canopy so that in the future if/when I opt for a RTT, there won't be any contact. Note, that with the RLD canopy, I will have to find a way to mount a RTT DIRECTLY to the canopy. The pre-drilled holes in the canopy is primarily for RLD's in house cross bars. They are unnecessarily huge, expensive, and I just don't want them. Plus, the canopy line is already above the roof line of the fiberglass Jeep roof, so I don't see any reason I can't drill a few holes in the bottom of a RTT, and hard mount it that way.

Anyway, back to the lights. I ran a total of 5 wires to the rear. 1 set for the S1's, and another set (plus a trigger wire) for the future S2's. I opted to do a partial in frame and out of frame run based on available tie down locations.

The result, IMO is nice. I am a fan of wiring 12v in a very nice, clean, and professional manner (well as good as I can anyway). I also included (due to seeing some things that ShadowsPapa has done) the incorporation of waterproof connectors. This gives the ability to easily take things apart if needed, and looks/feels more stock as well compared to what I usually do - soldering and heat shrinking connections.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9735.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9734.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9727

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
So that pretty much brings us up to today. There have been a few other items taken care of such as mud flaps, coating the inside of the frame with 3M cavity wax, painting the exterior frame and under body with Amsoil HD Metal Protect, a temporary GMRS solution, but that's pretty much it.

The last few days however I have been seeing some interesting things occur with other people my age. So not wanting to put things off any further, decided to make the, possibly not so responsible choice, of trying to finish this build as much as possible before summer to enjoy camping fun.

With that, I will leave a couple pictures of what is to come, to let imagination run wild until I post up some install updates.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9787.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9807.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9746.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9749.JPG

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Today I made a few wiring harnesses. As I am waiting for more parts to arrive I figure some prep work will make for easy plug and play for a few more components.

I took the idea of using connectors from others. Usually in the past I have done some combination of splicing, in line crimp connectors or soldering, all with adhesive heat shrink over it. But this time I opted for connectors based on other posts as it will make some things much easier.

The two small single wire connectors are to tap into the turn signals via the oracle harness so as not to cut wires of the factory harness. Another harness was made to run power into the cab for additional dome lights, which really help with my vision issues. The next harness will provide power to the future ditch lights. And the final harness extends power from the in cab Aux 1 wire back to where the CB and GMRS will be. Mounted. Although I do still need to find a ground for this circuit.

all of the exposed (outside) wires that are not to their final destination are sealed off and capped with the corresponding connector to prevent contamination until the final devices are ready to plug in.

I think it worked out well, although it would be nice if I had some larger gauge wire handy.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 3FEB939B-7BD7-401C-AB6F-954D68B7D2CC

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal D8126695-1F4E-404A-ACD1-D81C664BC414

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal 05242A39-C02B-4559-889E-6E37D515BF77

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
A few more parts came in the other day.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9815.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9816.JPG

I really need to figure out where and how to mount the CB and GMRS antennas.... I haven't really found a good solution that I am fully happy with.

Currently I am thinking about these as an option. They aren't the best but I think would provide a little more stability and strength than other options. The CB antenna is heavier than expected.

https://evomfg.com/products/jeep-jl-gladiator-a-pillar-cowl-light-mounts-pair-black

I would prefer to mount them up top, but with a future RTT in the plan, that introduces quite a few complexities.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
This also arrived yesterday, so on it went. I wish I knew about some of the other cheaper options before purchasing from 67. But it is a solid product and I'm sure will work great for many years.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9828.JPG

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
And.... almost all of the electrical components I ordered arrived today. Just a few more fuses I think are on the way - and some random misc items I forgot to order. So I started laying out how it will all go and started installing a few things and pre-planning the wiring layout. I still need to run some 4ga wire to the bed and re-wire the electrical of the batteries before hooking it all up.

But if I do it just right, and already have a layout plan in mind, then I can leave for future expansion the ability to attach-detach as needed, a lithium battery box or two. This would be beneficial for extended camping, for the few times it may happen in another year or two. It would also keep the ability to run other items that will be hooked up to the power block (compressor and battery maintainer) without having to disconnect or rewire them. Truly keeping to the modular design.

Jeep Gladiator Destination Unknown - 2022 JTR journal IMG_9833.JPG
Sponsored