Reaction score
Website
www.astronerd.net
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Sport S, 14 Mustang GT/CS, 04 Honda Pilot
Occupation
Finance/Accounting
Hello All,
I’m in the market for a mid sized pickup truck. I’ve never owed a truck or a Jeep so the Gladiator would be a real first for me.

The use case for me is around towing and payload. I’m an amateur astronomer and my gear can get heavy and take up quite a bit of space. When I head out for more than one night of observing, I’ll tow my Aliner camper. I don’t go wheeling and the most off-road I see is towing my gear down a dirt path or on to a field, rough terrain and carefully collimated optics don’t work well together. I also do some driving on the beaches here in North Carolina. My Pilot with tires aired down and it’s AWD has never gotten stuck but then again I don’t go crazy and I always keep my limited ground clearance in mind.

My camper weighs a tad over 2,700 fully loaded. My astronomy gear weighs in at 300lbs (telescope, mounts, counter weight, eyepieces, cameras, etc.). My current vehicle is a 2004 Honda Pilot. It handles everything just fine except for the squat in rear suspension, a well known problem for older Pilots. Also, the gear takes up all the room in the Pilot except for the front seat a 1 seat in the 2nd row (e.g. I only have room for the driver and 2 passengers. I also carry some camping related items in a roof basket.

I want to upgrade my vehicle so I can carry more passengers and/or my dogs as well as eventually upgrade to a large travel trailer.

I thought about a full size pickup but when I test drove them, they just felt so big in parking lots. This would be my daily driver and a full size truck would just be too big for daily stuff and even overkill for the next size camper under 25ft and max weight of 6,000lbs. Therefore a mid-sized pickup sounds like the logical step.

I did no like the seating position of the Tacoma, the Ranger felt cramped! I have not looked at the GM twins as it seems that they’re selling unfinished vehicles (can’t get heated seats or if you want GPS they’ll call you back when the parts are ready and your dealer will install them). I’ve never been much of Nissan fan and I’ve heard of horrible quality issues. I’ve owned many Hondas and they’ve always been great for me. The Ridgeline meets my payload and space requirements but does not meet my future towing requirements.

The Gladiator looks like a really appealing option. I know I need either a Sport S or an Altitude in order to get the Max-tow package. I’ve researched the options and build specs to death.

However, I keep hearing in the forums and other chatter that Gladiators and Wranglers by default just aren’t practical and there are so many compromises in terms or reliability and comfort that have to be made in order to get the off-road performance and topless abilities that Jeeps deliver. As I usually keep my cars for a long time (I took my last 2 to over 200k miles), I want to make sure I’m making the best decision.

I’ve test driven both a hard top and a soft top, definitely like the hard top better but would add an aftermarket liner/insulator. The stock 31s look small, I’d like to upgrade to 33s or 35s. A 2021 JTR I test drove definitely had some wandering but it may have been the aftermarket wheels and tires the dealership put.

I know I have to give op some of the tech I was looking forward to in my next car, like cooled seats, lane assist, power/memory seats, but the Gladiator was just so much fun to drive.

So the question out to you JT owners is, if you had to get a truck for just mostly on-road towing and payload, would you still buy a JT? I am better off getting a Ridgeline now knowing it may not meet my towing needs a few years (2 or 3 years) down the line?

Thanks!
-Mike

5DAAD6B6-481E-4DAC-B794-362E91B62517.jpeg

1486EEF0-7AD7-4537-B341-0AD7CF4B6290.jpeg
Sponsored

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Welcome to the forum!

So the question out to you JT owners is, if you had to get a truck for just mostly on-road towing and payload, would you still buy a JT? I am better off getting a Ridgeline now knowing it may not meet my towing needs a few years (2 or 3 years) down the line?
I, personally, think you've come to a VERY biased place to ask this question, but...

ABSOLUTELY, yes, I think the Gladiator is a fantastic truck, and absolutely wonderful for on-road duty. Are there "better" trucks? Maybe, in some ways, absolutely. But, are there trucks that combine all the things that are a Jeep into a truck? No.

If I was only concerned with light-duty usage, and only concerned with on-road manners, and wasn't interested in taking the top off, the doors off, and having a best in-class 4-wheel drive system, then I think I'd look elsewhere. But, since you're here, I suspect part of you likes (or wants) those things. In which case, I think you're in the right spot ;)

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Most people will say get the gladiator diesel but if I were you I wouldn’t read this forum it will cause you to spend a lot of money 😂😂😂😂 just kidding you will get a lot of good people answering your questions

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
OP
OP
astronerd

astronerd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.astronerd.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance/Accounting
Welcome to the forum!

I, personally, think you've come to a VERY biased place to ask this question, but...

ABSOLUTELY, yes, I think the Gladiator is a fantastic truck, and absolutely wonderful for on-road duty. Are there "better" trucks? Maybe, in some ways, absolutely. But, are there trucks that combine all the things that are a Jeep into a truck? No.

If I was only concerned with light-duty usage, and only concerned with on-road manners, and wasn't interested in taking the top off, the doors off, and having a best in-class 4-wheel drive system, then I think I'd look elsewhere. But, since you're here, I suspect part of you likes (or wants) those things. In which case, I think you're in the right spot ;)
I really miss driving my wife’s MINI Cooper S convertible but so many issues with that car that in the end she ended up hating it. So I definitely see me riding with the freedom panels off, maybe the whole roof off. I also would like to try mild off-roading but nothing that would require a lift.

Most people will say get the gladiator diesel but if I were you I wouldn’t read this forum it will cause you to spend a lot of money 😂😂😂😂 just kidding you will get a lot of good people answering your questions
The diesel has less towing and payload capacity so the diesel is out. I would factory order mine thru the various dealers listed here with good discounts on invoice. It would be a gasoline Altitude or a Sport S, based on the Feb build sheet the Altitude with all the options I want would be cheaper than the Sport S with the same options (MaxTow, Safety group, Auto cruise, 8.4” Uconnect, Cold weather, spray in bed liner, Aux switches, Gorilla glass, Tech Group and Selec-Trac FT 4WD).

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I want would be cheaper than the Sport S with the same options (MaxTow, Safety group, Auto cruise, 8.4” Uconnect, Cold weather, spray in bed liner, Aux switches, Gorilla glass, Tech Group and Selec-Trac FT 4WD
Did you check out the reviews/threads on the gorilla glass?

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I bought mine because it was just so freakin' cool :) :) :) :) :)

The added bonus was the ability to use it as a mid-sized pick'em up truck and towing capacity. I tow a 27' 5,300 lb (when loaded) trailer and it handles it just fine. I don't have the MaxTow as it is not offered on the Overland package.

As a daily driver, I find it very comfortable (more so than my wife's '19 GC Ltd.) and really don't notice the drift that others have commented on. I let go the wheel, and it goes straight as an arrow.

The interior seating space is much larger than all the other mid-sized trucks, especially in the rear seating area. My Wife and I have a friend from Ukraine (her childhood friend) who is 6' tall and she was quite comfortable back there when she came to visit a couple of years ago.

You will not be disappointed. It'll carry you, your gear, your family (both human and furry), and tow a decent sized trailer. Just make sure you get the tow package and, when you get your trailer, electronic braking for it as well as load distributing/anti sway set up.

OP
OP
astronerd

astronerd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.astronerd.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance/Accounting
I made my decision and placed a deposit with Travis at Tri-City. I‘ve ordered a Sport S in white with the Max-Tow package and quite a few other goodies.

I did a cursory search on the forum and other online sources and most seem to be positive on the Gorilla Glass vs the standard glass.

First mods will be Oracle LED headlights, LED bulbs for the fog lights, a Tazer, and leather Katzkin seats.

I was a little nervous at first, this is the most I’ve ever spent on a car for me but that‘s all over and I’m like a kid in candy store thinking about mods. Can I dip into my kid‘s 529 accounts for JT mods?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I did a cursory search on the forum and other online sources and most seem to be positive on the Gorilla Glass vs the standard glass.
Extra cost for the same outside glass.
Sponsored