First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
I think everyone on this thread may like reading the book "Travels of the T-Shirt in a global economy" by Rivoli.
Waste that is generated by our all consuming culture doesn't magically disappear. Developed countries pay money to developing countries to dump waste. And even burn them.
Love to bring back manufacturing here but "people" don't want or have the means to pay more for things and we want it all.
Ok. Off my soap box

Read the book though. It's good.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Joyride, I understand your aggregate viewpoint, but I'm struggling on how California's wildfires are a result from Trump's policy. As you know, CA has held separate CAFE standards and has the strictest corporate environmental protocols in the country. So I'm assuming you mean his policies' effect on the US as a whole.

However, during Obama's administration, 2009 - 2017, the United States experienced the most acres burned via wildfires in its history (2015 and 2017). See the graph below.

So then the argument could be: Obama inherited the dry landscape created by the President Bush years (2001 - 2009). If that's the case, then the obvious follow-up is that Trump inherited the Obama landscape.

number_of_acres_burned_in_wildfires_1980-2019.gif

source: Facts + Statistics
This stuff has been going on for waaay more than 3.75 years.
To blame a current president for anything that's happening now is, well - not scientific. It takes time for any changes taking place today to impact on a large scale as in CA.
CA has suffered decades of things from drought to changes in management and it all started way before any president in this century.
Going forward changes need to be made, but I can't see blaming ANY politician in the last few years.

The climate doesn't turn on a dime - although it's accelerating, IMO.

I think I recall a post about the ash in the air being acidic, or was it corrosive??
It's alkaline - like lye........... as a former farmer and a person who likes plants like strawberries, raspberries and my wife loving tomatoes, ash from trees is not acidic, in fact, the opposite. It's used to "sweeten" soil, to raise the pH.
Wood varies but is somewhere around 5.0 typical or average. That is acid with 7.0 being neutral and anything lower being acid.
But wood ash, once burned, it's much higher, are almost always alkaline when dissolved in water, with a pH varying from about 9 to 11. So wood ash in rain or dew or when you wash, it's more alkaline.
Sodium hydroxide is formed when wood ash (ash is largely potassium carbonate, potassium pulled from the soil and carbon from carbon dioxide) is mixed with water. ... lye - used in soap making.
So the ash from these fires on your vehicle is not good at all, but not because it's acid, it's the opposite.

Last edited:

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
When I was in junior high in the early 90's, the hole in the ozone layer was the big threat hiding under our beds. Now its global warming and despite being much cleaner than the countries we outsource our manufacturing to, a segment of opportunistic people believe that Americans need to give up more to combat climate change.

Its curious to me that the biggest advocates for more environmental regulation are states with the highest population densities. New York and California want to dictate to the rest of the states a myriad of issues, meanwhile Ohio climate has been cooler than I remember as a younger man.

I'll start taking climate change seriously when politicians and citizens give up their AC, start driving economy vehicles more and push more on China and India to crack down on pollution.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well, folks, CA air quality (or lack there-of) is now our air quality.
I got exhausted easier than normal today, the air is full of smoke - you can smell AND see it) and the sun is obscured. In fact, you could almost look right at it.
No, it's not clouds. I can look over at a house and trees 300 yards away and the air is almost foggy looking with the smoke and haze. And that's Iowa, east of Des Moines.
Amazing - something so far away can impact breathing here, make you dirty and smell of smoke after working outside.

Seriously, we're all in this together.
Sponsored