Sponsored

Norcal fires.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I made these as close to what I saw as possible color wise. It was weird all day but a particularly thick set of smoke rolled in around 2PM.

This is actually smoke from Oregon which was pumped out to the Pacific Ocean where it hoooked in with a jetstream and came down to the CA coast. Was sitting about 2,000 feet up so the air at ground level was actually clean. I am basing 2,000 feet on where I could see planes breaking through beneath it where I know they are supposed to be at 2,000 before landing at SFO.

Jeep Gladiator Norcal fires. JNM_8408
Jeep Gladiator Norcal fires. JNM_8431
Jeep Gladiator Norcal fires. JNM_8446
Jeep Gladiator Norcal fires. JNM_8416
Jeep Gladiator Norcal fires. JNM_8450
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
what’s this rain thing you talk of? How can we get it in California?
I wish you could order it on Amazon and choose next day delivery......... I was beginning to wonder what it looked like, too!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I made these as close to what I saw as possible color wise. It was weird all day but a particularly thick set of smoke rolled in around 2PM.

This is actually smoke from Oregon which was pumped out to the Pacific Ocean where it hoooked in with a jetstream and came down to the CA coast. Was sitting about 2,000 feet up so the air at ground level was actually clean. I am basing 2,000 feet on where I could see planes breaking through beneath it where I know they are supposed to be at 2,000 before landing at SFO.

Dude that is just plain scary. And jets don't take kindly to ash or particulates in the air...........

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Thanks for sharing; I understand you have no control over the current situation, however is this the fire started by a gender reveal pyrotechnic? If so, can we eliminate this family from procreating? Not only are these 'parties' asinine, but consider all that's been lost as a result. They should be criminally and civilly liable.
No, that fire was not so big. And a lot of this smoke is from Oregon.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
It's a shame it can't be in the western states, too, as this is a looong soaker - exactly what's needed. Not a gully-washer.
Unfortunately, because of the fires when it DOES rain, it'll be a gully-washer because foliage that usually allows the rain water to soak into the ground is gone so we end up with flooding.

Sponsored

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
what’s this rain thing you talk of? How can we get it in California?
No such luck: the Emperor declared rain illegal because we peons might find a way to capture and store it rather than letting the Delta Smelts swim in it on their way out to the Bay...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, because of the fires when it DOES rain, it'll be a gully-washer because foliage that usually allows the rain water to soak into the ground is gone so we end up with flooding.
Yeah, I've seen the mudslides, the damage, the trees wiped out by the collapsing hills. It's scary.
It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't, things.
Roots hold the soil together in many places. When the plants are gone and the roots disappear, especially with the layered soil types there, it's nasty.
There was a great program on TV a while back about that sort of thing around the world and how the way the hills were formed and the various soil types either helped cuase, or prevented, that sort of thing. Amazing. It was also scary to see some building and trees pushed hundreds of yards, even more, from their original places. It was really bad when they showed one fellow find his sister- still in her car, buried under the mud and killed. Man, that was sickening.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Dude that is just plain scary. And jets don't take kindly to ash or particulates in the air...........
I isn't really scary, it's creepy. It's really weird that when it was like that there was no smell of smoke. There's a level of angst expecting a wall of fire to be behind the clouds of smoke but there isn't. Waiting for brimstone to hail down.

Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
If anything it's driven by conservatives refusing to take emissions and global warming seriously.
What you're seeing is a result of a combination of events across the globe.

China is going through an Industrial Revolution (like the US did from 1760 - 1840) and it's having a massive impact on the environment. An example article.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, far from it, I'm just an educated husband and father who is concerned about the future of his 2 boys.

Educate yourself about the impact China is having across the globe and you'll see the cause of China's IR (economically / environmentally) and the United States' support of Hong Kong and Taiwan (politically) has resulted in many negative effects.

If you think COVID-19 is an "ooops!" from a Chinese wet market then you seriously need to attend 5th grade again. Then when the spotlight is on China as the source of COVID-19, all of a sudden race wars and political chaos ensues in the United States (and extends globally). Who do you think is stoking the fire? Here's a Newsweek article to help. Ask yourself, these lines have always been there, for better or worse, why is the destructive chaos happening now?

I'm not trying to be combative, but I think we all need to be pissed off (together) that China's impact on the environment, the economy, our country, and our daily lives has negatively changed all of our lives forever.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I know China has been putting out tremendous amounts of CO2. India as well. But the answers there are also political. It's going to include massive amounts of industrial change in manufacturing and shipping. And trump just doesn't care about this issue particularly with all the rolling back of policy he has done.

Xephyrious

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Technical Artist
I'm in Norcal as well and woke up to the dark orange sky as well. I've been digging into fires world wide to see trends: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wildfires. Seems like there are more extreme fires in the last 15-20 years. Anyone remember Australia a few months ago? More and more countries are facing warmer climates, which dry up forests and make fires much more likely.

If you like graphs and looking at data like me you might like this: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/global-maps/MOD14A1_M_FIRE/MOD_LSTAD_M

And to PDiddy's point, we all drive gladiators, we're not helping things. I guess we need to make up for it elsewhere... Or push jeep to also offer electric gladiators!

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I isn't really scary, it's creepy. It's really weird that when it was like that there was no smell of smoke. There's a level of angst expecting a wall of fire to be behind the clouds of smoke but there isn't. Waiting for brimstone to hail down.
I get that. We had some bad wildfires here in BC a couple of years back, and it was downright eerie when the sky was dark and orange in the middle of the day. It felt physically oppressive and affected my wife so much that she drove across the country to stay with her sister in the east to get away from it.

Politics and finger-pointing aside, I hope everyone in CA, OR, and WA (and here in BC as well) are staying safe and thank God for the firefighters who volunteer and risk their lives to protect us all!

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I know China has been putting out tremendous amounts of CO2. India as well. But the answers there are also political. It's going to include massive amounts of industrial change in manufacturing and shipping. And trump just doesn't care about this issue particularly with all the rolling back of policy he has done.
Our awesome elected representatives from both parties sold us out, shipped a bunch of work to China and other places where slaves work around the clock to sell us cheap things and curtail emissions standards they exempt themselves from. Meanwhile one party in particular in the US, likes to get all uppity about "workers rights" and climate change. If they fought to manufacture more of our goods here, under the umbrella of their precious EPA and other agencies, the amount of pollution going into the world would be lessened.

You have every right to hate Trump though. That idea is driven into your head every day, every hour, seven days a week by virtually every network, its almost as if you are racist or some other derogatory term if you don't agree with big corporate media. If you take your brain off of auto pilot though you might find that reality is not what you think and you are being manipulated.
Sponsored