Sponsored

Overland - I’m sure it’s been asked before (apologies in advance)

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, I’m strongly considering an overland but the more I think about it’s lack of off-road capabilities (maybe I’m wrong?), the more I start to feel I’m not getting the best bang for my buck. Am I wrong in feeling that the Overland is not meant to take off-road or is that just the perception I’m getting right now? At the end of the day, it’s a 4x4 jeep so initially I was feeling it’s meant to be on trails, maybe just not rock crawling, but what about some easy intermediate type of trails?

Also, are there any good overland builds to look at on this forum?

And lastly, I’m not considering the sport level trims because I‘m an older dude and I’ve done my fair share of time with cloth seats and leather is the only way to for me these days. Factory installed leather that is.
Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Guys, I’m strongly considering an overland but the more I think about it’s lack of off-road capabilities (maybe I’m wrong?), the more I start to feel I’m not getting the best bang for my buck. Am I wrong in feeling that the Overland is not meant to take off-road or is that just the perception I’m getting right now? At the end of the day, it’s a 4x4 jeep so initially I was feeling it’s meant to be on trails, maybe just not rock crawling, but what about some easy intermediate type of trails?

And lastly, I’m not considering the sport level trims because I‘m an older dude and I’ve done my fair share of time with cloth seats and leather is the only way to for me these days. Factory installed leather that is.
I like the fact that you have a goal post. Leather seats or I'm out the door :CWL:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LAck of off-road? OK, so the Rubicon is wider by 1.5", has a lower gear ratio (you can change the gears in the Overland, several have done it) and it doesn't have lockers and the electric sway bar disconnect, but seriously, so many things can be done to Overland........
I'd also ask - how radical are you planning to be off-road?
The stock Rubicon can do better but then a lot depends on what you plan on crawling over or through.
Wouldn't take too much to give my Overland at least similar abilities to the Rubicon if I desired, but I'll never need the Rubicon abilities.

Some here use the full abilities of their JT Rubicon - and then some! Others do all they want on other levels.

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
LAck of off-road? OK, so the Rubicon is wider by 1.5", has a lower gear ratio (you can change the gears in the Overland, several have done it) and it doesn't have lockers and the electric sway bar disconnect, but seriously, so many things can be done to Overland........
I'd also ask - how radical are you planning to be off-road?
The stock Rubicon can do better but then a lot depends on what you plan on crawling over or through.
Wouldn't take too much to give my Overland at least similar abilities to the Rubicon if I desired, but I'll never need the Rubicon abilities.

Some here use the full abilities of their JT Rubicon - and then some! Others do all they want on other levels.
Not planning to rock crawl much at all, sounds like you’re a happy overland owner. I don’t want to make many changes aside from a lift and 35’s, won’t be much else I’ll want to change

Sponsored

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S

If you like the styling and don’t need the 4:1 crawl ratio and lockers, go with the the overland. I’ve found the BLD to be more than adequate on moderate-hard trails and may be worth while to get the full time 4wd that comes in the overland if you live in a rainy/snowy area.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you like the styling and don’t need the 4:1 crawl ratio and lockers, go with the the overland. I’ve found the BLD to be more than adequate on moderate-hard trails and may be worth while to get the all time 4wd that comes in the overland if you live in a rainy/snowy area.
Yeah, what he said.........

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
If you like the styling and don’t need the 4:1 crawl ratio and lockers, go with the the overland. I’ve found the BLD to be more than adequate on moderate-hard trails and may be worth while to get the all time 4wd that comes in the overland if you live in a rainy/snowy area.
Great, that’s exactly what I’d want to use it on anyway.
Btw, what is the all time 4wd and what’s the other option aside from that?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For perspective: an Overland is still more capable on the trail than your average Tacoma, which is considered one of the most off-road worthy trucks on the market. The Overland is also easier to modify, lift, and to accept larger tires than a Tacoma ever will.

An Overland with rear LSD and Selec-Trac can be a beast in the snow.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I WISH I had the full-time 4H or 4 wheel drive option in my 2020. I'd have jumped all over that living in Iowa with our storms - snow here, not there, calm and sunny, 10 miles up a blizzard, clear driving then spots of black ice and so on.

The basic transfer case has 4L or 4 wheel drive, low range, 4H or 4 wheel drive high range (normal speed) and 2H - or 2 wheel drive. This version the 4 wheel drive modes are NOT to be used on dry pavement or where the wheels can't slip.
The newer version available for 2021 models include a full-time 4 wheel drive option like my Grand Cherokees always had, and even my Chevy truck had. My F250 had the part time 4 wheel drive only. Drive it in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement and you can cause issues, bind things up.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For perspective: an Overland is still more capable on the trail than your average Tacoma, which is considered one of the most off-road worthy trucks on the market. The Overland is also easier to modify, lift, and to accept larger tires than a Tacoma ever will.

Yeah, if I could have gotten the full-time 4H option in my truck when I bought it, I'd have been all over it. I'd have paid an extra couple grand to get it and not even cringed.
I love the Grand Cherokee's sure-footedness in snow and you can drive out of a drift onto dry road, then onto black ice, then back to dry pavement for a few miles, more drifts, and never bother shifting the transfer case. My truck I have to keep shifting in and out of 4H here as we'll have a quarter mile of clear, then ice, then 100 yards of clear, then snow drifts, back and forth. I'd wear out the shifter. So I take one of our Grand Cherokees when the roads are like that.

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I WISH I had the full-time 4H or 4 wheel drive option in my 2020. I'd have jumped all over that living in Iowa with our storms - snow here, not there, calm and sunny, 10 miles up a blizzard, clear driving then spots of black ice and so on.

The basic transfer case has 4L or 4 wheel drive, low range, 4H or 4 wheel drive high range (normal speed) and 2H - or 2 wheel drive. This version the 4 wheel drive modes are NOT to be used on dry pavement or where the wheels can't slip.
The newer version available for 2021 models include a full-time 4 wheel drive option like my Grand Cherokees always had, and even my Chevy truck had. My F250 had the part time 4 wheel drive only. Drive it in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement and you can cause issues, bind things up.
So the full time 4wd still has a transfer case but also has the option for standard 4wd to
Use as a daily drive option on pavement, did I get that right? Man these forums save a lot of time

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase

Music to my ears bro 🤙🏻 This is the type of stuff I want to hear. Tacoma was my dream truck when I was younger and then the gladiator came out and everything changed.

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the full time 4wd still has a transfer case but also has the option for standard 4wd to
Use as a daily drive option on pavement, did I get that right? Man these forums save a lot of time
Yup, Same low gear ratio as the sport. To be clear though, the truck is still in 2wd by default and only engages the front axle if the computer senses a loss in traction. I don’t have any experience with this system, but I think they’ve been doing it for awhile in other vehicles.

7079700B-4670-4F25-9DCF-E0ED2C7799A0.png

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, the Brake Locking Differential (BLD) is not an option but part of the traction control system. It essentially uses the brakes to force torque through the wheels with traction. It’s great in a pinch and worlds ahead of anything in the JKs, but I wouldn’t recommend relying on it for extended rock crawling.
Sponsored