Sponsored

Patagonia 40’s, door handles and ice

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
The 40” patty’s and ice don’t mix well together. Almost feels like the tire is flexing a little and then zoom, there you go. Guess I’ll try some different air pressures to dial in a sweet spot if there is one.

Door handles after freezing rain or road mist freezing to them. The design of handle won’t allow for opening from outside until ice is removed. On jk just had to push in the button but on jt have to pull entire handle outward. Seems like would break very easily in frigid temps. At least it didn’t this time.
Either way I feel like neither the tires or handles mix well with ice.
Sponsored

Deleted member 23202

I just experienced thick ice on my door handles and everything else this morning. Handles worked fine when pulled.
I also have week-old Patagonia MTs in 38” on AEV Borah wheels that performed great in ice/snow. PSI was at 35.
I know ice sucks….
Sorry to hear about your experience.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blackjeepjk

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The more I have time to reflect on the pat’s and Some of the responses there may be a couple of other factors.
1- How many miles on your pat’s?
2- mine at 10k and still have the vibration/bounce at different speeds that started around 7k miles, one of which falls in the 25-35mph hr range in which I was running.(couple of different threads on this issue and pat’s)
3- I still haven’t done my re-gear. Although not perfect has been manageable for flat ground up to this point. But feel that with the more downshifts trying to hit optimal rpm performance may be some of the issue on the ice.

Door handles- I guess I’ll just attribute that to- ice sucks. Regardless of vehicle.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
So I used clear packing tape on my hinges to keep them from getting beat. My fenders get beat to death to, but they are easy to cover up being black. How are the painted fenders holding up? I'm reading about the size of your tires, which look great, but with 4.5" of lift and 37's I was hitting my fenders at full flex, so I just went to 6" of lift, and that solved fender rub. Are you installing bigger bump stops or what, how are you eliminating fender rub? And what gearing did you go to? I look forward to seeing you on the trails.

Last edited:

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Truckee California below ZERO and 2 feet of snow. I had no problem with my door handles. It’s sounds like you are your own enemy.

OP
OP
Blackjeepjk

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I used clear packing tape on my hinges to keep them from getting beat. My fenders get beat to death to, but they are easy to cover up being black. How are the painted fenders holding up? I'm reading about the size of your tires, which look great, but with 4.5" of lift and 37's I was hitting my fenders at full flex, so I just went to 6" of lift, and that solved fender rub. Are you installing bigger bump stops or what, how are you eliminating fender rub? And what gearing did you go to? I look forward to seeing you on the trails.
My fender are getting eat up as well as door hinges front of hood, and windshield cowl. My tires tuck in pretty nicely with fuel lethals on 4.5bs but I do have larger bump stops to stop them right against the inner fender.
I’m still on stock 4.10’s but will be changing to 4.88 as soon as weather gets better. Probably March.

3F5D0FA5-1C5E-40EA-B99C-B53C458D2291.jpeg

9A36F0F5-724D-4BB5-AE1D-547027BA6A2D.jpeg

OP
OP
Blackjeepjk

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truckee California below ZERO and 2 feet of snow. I had no problem with my door handles. It’s sounds like you are your own enemy.
Yeah 2 feet of snow and below zero was probably powder and blew off but I get it. 1/4”+ ice don’t matter what entry system you have will be an issue.

dirtlimo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi
The 40” patty’s and ice don’t mix well together. Almost feels like the tire is flexing a little and then zoom, there you go. Guess I’ll try some different air pressures to dial in a sweet spot if there is one.

Door handles after freezing rain or road mist freezing to them. The design of handle won’t allow for opening from outside until ice is removed. On jk just had to push in the button but on jt have to pull entire handle outward. Seems like would break very easily in frigid temps. At least it didn’t this time.
Either way I feel like neither the tires or handles mix well with ice.

I mean, its ICE!
Sponsored