Sponsored

Phoenix Android Radio 7862 model.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I did a lot of heavy thinking about the 12.1 Tesla style radio from Phoenix. Some of the reviews made me nervous, while others seem really promising. I had the 5inch radio, so this one I found on Amazon was a really nice upgrade, and was surprisingly plug and play. Looks great as well. Very pleased, and only spent $108.

I have upgraded all speakers to Kicker as well. Sounds really great and much loader, but now my sound bar vibrates when heavy bass hits.
Anyone know how to remedy that?
Screenshot_20230904_183824_Gallery.jpg
20230904_143758.jpg
20230904_143753.jpg
Try stuffing a lil poly fill into the empty space. Chances are, tho, u may have a cable/wire or part of the speaker rubbing. Make sure all is tight. Maybe add a rubber/foam gasket/seal to mounting face of speakers.
Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Pulled the trigger on this radio. It's the android 12 version. Installed it yesterday. Still figuring out all the features and adjustments. My biggest issue is so far is sound quality is terrible. Spoken word is fine but music has lost all lows and it seems like the factory Alpine sub is not working at all. If you have any ideas or suggestions on how to adjust it please let me know!
Locate the equalizer app and adjust the settings. I found rock setting gives the best output, to my ears. Double check all connections are in place.

mstrpoz

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
VP of Sales
I did a lot of heavy thinking about the 12.1 Tesla style radio from Phoenix. Some of the reviews made me nervous, while others seem really promising. I had the 5inch radio, so this one I found on Amazon was a really nice upgrade, and was surprisingly plug and play. Looks great as well. Very pleased, and only spent $108.

I have upgraded all speakers to Kicker as well. Sounds really great and much loader, but now my sound bar vibrates when heavy bass hits.
20230904_143758.jpg
20230904_143753.jpg
man this looks good. do you have a link?

OP
OP

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer

20230904_143758.jpg
20230904_143753.jpg
Three things here:

1) This should probably have it's own thread

2) I really like the idea of a unit like this, but I have yet to see one that integrates with the car features that require access from the head-unit. There are many car settings that cannot be accessed any other way in this vehicle. If this were able to be confirmed, I might consider this type of radio option, mainly because I prefer the physical HVAC buttons.

3) I don't see any chance that this unit will integrate with the OEM microphones, GPS, USB and the OEM cluster info screen like the Phoenix unit.

Sponsored

VEGETA

First Name
Koree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
Three things here:

1) This should probably have it's own thread

2) I really like the idea of a unit like this, but I have yet to see one that integrates with the car features that require access from the head-unit. There are many car settings that cannot be accessed any other way in this vehicle. If this were able to be confirmed, I might consider this type of radio option, mainly because I prefer the physical HVAC buttons.

3) I don't see any chance that this unit will integrate with the OEM microphones, GPS, USB and the OEM cluster info screen like the Phoenix unit.

"I don't see any chance that this unit will integrate with the OEM microphones, GPS, USB and the OEM cluster info screen like the Phoenix unit."

You don't see any chance because you don't know what you don't know. ;)
I originally purchased it as an Android 11 (I was just going to download the upgrade to 13), but after the install I realized it came with Android 13, and retained every OEM setting after one day of driving (minus the backup camera, but I knew that going in, and I now have the adapter module - 5 min install)
All factory settings, GPS, USB, and OEM cluster still work exactly as they should with the screen. I also enjoy still having the knobs for the comfort cooling. Great point!

Very glad I did not buy the phoenix radio, no new thread needed, that was the point being made. I have every setting, GAIA GPS overland maps, and even watch the news/ESPN in the morning during my commute to work on YoutubeTV. Wireless Android Auto/carplay work great. Connects as soon as I start the Jeep, to which I was surprised.

You do not have to be an engineer to configure these units but I am one, and you are an IT guy so it should be a walk in the park for you. Technical specs and knowledge of product development/sourcing make spending less money much easier if you understand your desired application(90% of the battle).

Knowing that I also saved between $500-$1900 makes it feel like a huge win.

Albeit, the phoenix looks great, but I didn't have confidence in the distributor, nor their willingness to help with troubleshooting. Lead time to get my screen delivered to my house after order was 2 days. Can't beat that.

Good luck with your phoenix bud. :like:

OP
OP

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
"I don't see any chance that this unit will integrate with the OEM microphones, GPS, USB and the OEM cluster info screen like the Phoenix unit."

I originally purchased it as an Android 11 (I was just going to download the upgrade to 13), but after the install I realized it came with Android 13, and retained every OEM setting after one day of driving (minus the backup camera, but I knew that going in, and I now have the adapter module - 5 min install)
All factory settings, GPS, USB, and OEM cluster still work exactly as they should with the screen. I also enjoy still having the knobs for the comfort cooling. Great point!

Very glad I did not buy the phoenix radio, no new thread needed, that was the point being made. I have every setting, GAIA GPS overland maps, and even watch the news/ESPN in the morning during my commute to work on YoutubeTV. Wireless Android Auto/carplay work great. Connects as soon as I start the Jeep, to which I was surprised.

You do not have to be an engineer to configure these units but I am one, and you are an IT guy so it should be a walk in the park for you. Technical specs and knowledge of product development/sourcing make spending less money much easier if you understand your desired application(90% of the battle).

Albeit, the phoenix looks great, but I didn't have confidence in the distributor, nor their willingness to help with troubleshooting. Lead time to get my screen delivered to my house after order was 2 days. Can't beat that.

By every setting I am talking about all the vehicle settings that you have to set via the OEM screen. The cluster info that shows on the dash also comes from the OEM screen. Are you suggesting that you are seeing song info on the instrument cluster while playing it on the radio? Are you suggesting that navigation info is showing on the instrument cluster when using navigation on the radio?

I would love to see videos of that working and videos of the car settings and off road pages from this radio you bought.

This is not a competition so I don’t need any luck. I am interested in alternatives but that unit really should have its own thread of it is capable of all the items I just listed above.

VEGETA

First Name
Koree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
By every setting I am talking about all the vehicle settings that you have to set via the OEM screen. The cluster info that shows on the dash also comes from the OEM screen. Are you suggesting that you are seeing song info on the instrument cluster while playing it on the radio? Are you suggesting that navigation info is showing on the instrument cluster when using navigation on the radio?

I would love to see videos of that working and videos of the car settings and off road pages from this radio you bought.

This is not a competition so I don’t need any luck. I am interested in alternatives but that unit really should have its own thread of it is capable of all the items I just listed above.

Completely understand. I was just being a little sarcastic for humor/color commentary.

I will make a video this weekend to show this. Yes, it is surprising that it carries so many features, but not surprising with how things are brokered in retail and marketing these days. I consult for large scale manufacturers, so you can understand my lack of trust with distributors and "rep companies" that offer the $1,000+ systems. I immediately pull the spec sheets and look for systems designed/manufactured in the same location, or with the same board.

OP
OP

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Completely understand. I was just being a little sarcastic for humor/color commentary.

I will make a video this weekend to show this. Yes, it is surprising that it carries so many features, but not surprising with how things are brokered in retail and marketing these days. I consult for large scale manufacturers, so you can understand my lack of trust with distributors and "rep companies" that offer the $1,000+ systems. I immediately pull the spec sheets and look for systems designed/manufactured in the same location, or with the same board.
Exactly. Which is why I bought this Phoenix unit for $500. But I really would like a unit that retains the OEM HVAC. So I am much more interested in this unit now.

delynn10

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Do you have a link to the backup camera adapter module?

Sponsored

Gene26

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Launch Edition 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 Ram Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a link to the backup camera adapter
I do not have those features in my Jeep to begin with. This is by design for me, having had those features in other vehicles I have determined I don’t like them.

Did you try to contact Phoenix? It may require and MCU or CAN update. Is it just the chime sound that is missing? Possibly a setting in one of the system menus where you have to provide a password to access?

If you want to PM me I am willing to help you troubleshoot it.
I purchased one of theses units. Worked great for 2 weeks then froze. I have had 7 calls with tech support. Downloaded several different updates they sent me. Now screen is upside down.... just past 30 days so no returns.

MudderNuker

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired@52

Interesting option. Not clear on whether or not you can control HVAC, heated seats /steering wheel, and offer vehicle settings with this radio. Can you confirm? Do you know the RMS power output? 25 watts x 4, etc? Thanks.

VEGETA

First Name
Koree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
Interesting option. Not clear on whether or not you can control HVAC, heated seats /steering wheel, and offer vehicle settings with this radio. Can you confirm? Do you know the RMS power output? 25 watts x 4, etc? Thanks.
I've been slacking on this post, but I haven't been able to mess with or tweek this screen at all due to my electronic stability control issue that has popped up. Man you want to talk about a pain in the butt. Still can't figure out why it's doing it. Ready to finish my stereo upgrades, but have to deal with this first.

Someone asked me about the module for the camera, and I haven't even had a moment to think about it.

Big apologies. I'll get my life together eventually...haha

MudderNuker

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired@52
I've been slacking on this post, but I haven't been able to mess with or tweek this screen at all due to my electronic stability control issue that has popped up. Man you want to talk about a pain in the butt. Still can't figure out why it's doing it. Ready to finish my stereo upgrades, but have to deal with this first.

Someone asked me about the module for the camera, and I haven't even had a moment to think about it.

Big apologies. I'll get my life together eventually...haha
No worries. My stability system gave me issues after I leveled the Jeep. As soon as I centered the steering wheel it went away.

VEGETA

First Name
Koree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
No worries. My stability system gave me issues after I leveled the Jeep. As soon as I centered the steering wheel it went away.
I think that's the same problem I have.
Just recently watched a video on how to fix it. Seems simple enough. Getting tired of pulling over and restarting my truck to get it out of limp mode.
Sponsored